Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This is a ☼World☼  (Read 4236 times)

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
Re: This is a ☼World☼
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 01:50:39 pm »

Does it get all the races everywhere or not?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 01:50:43 pm »

NOTICE: Please, if you quote, remove the pictures.  It'll make things more compact.

*HEADDESK*
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
Oh Bugger.
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 01:59:36 pm »

Everytime I try to play the world it says I'm missing "METALGLOSS:SilkSteel" is there something wrong with my 40d11?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 02:01:00 pm »

Maybe you accidentially left something in from a mod? silksteel sounds like a modded thing.

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 02:04:54 pm »

Maybe you accidentially left something in from a mod? silksteel sounds like a modded thing.

Yep!  My mistake.  Update incoming.

UPDATE: Okay, I regenned in a vanilla copy and found another site- not quite as cool, but maybe still interesting.  It's back in the "release" post.

NOTICE: Please, if you quote, remove the pictures.  It'll make things more compact.

*HEADDESK*
Was I being unreasonable?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:20:23 pm by Bjiip »

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 02:55:08 pm »

Here's a few quick notes from Legends:

☼Mostly humminoid MegaBeasts (No Collossi)
☼Only one dragon (At least that I could find)
☼The only age is "The Age of Dragon and Demon" (Maybe one dragon IS enough)
☼Two mountain halls (Lower Left)
☼Three Uman towns (Upper Right)
☼Two Dark Fortresses ((Lower Right (In the haunted swamp thing)
☼One Forest Retreat ((Upper Left (Disappears between years 10 and 20)
☼One Kobold(?) Civ in Northern Most part

Axil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 03:14:20 pm »

How do you do this? Manipulating the world map that is.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 04:59:57 pm »

When you go into advanced world generation, hit uh...p I think. Or perhaps e. ....I'm pretty sure its p, though.

Anyways, you have to use the mouse to control it, and its pretty trial and error. You have to know what the worldgen values for each biome are; which basically means you need to go to the wiki and look up the drainage/temperature/rainfall to set to produce each biome. Its clunky and not very useful, but you /can/ produce cool things with it...its just a lot of work.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 05:54:55 pm »

You can also use DwarfHeightmap which allows you to import 24bit greyscale heightmaps so you can paint or generate the terrain is the software of your choice. It even takes heightmaps for all of these:
  • Rainfall
  • Temperature
  • Drainage
  • Savagery
  • Volcanicity

I haven't used it much though so all I know about how to use it and more is in this topic.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 05:55:20 pm »

Yep!  My mistake.  Update incoming.

UPDATE: Okay, I regenned in a vanilla copy and found another site- not quite as cool, but maybe still interesting.  It's back in the "release" post.

*HEADDESK*
Was I being unreasonable?
My reply was towards Man In Zero G, who immediately made a quote with a picture after you said that. Your request is in no way unreasonable.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 02:41:33 am »

EDIT: Problem solved- it was just a matter of region size.  I needed to pump up the "medium" numbers at worldgen.
Spoiler: The problem (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 03:02:30 am by Bjiip »

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 03:49:18 am »

I've tweaked the world again a bit, getting a better site density in the center area (just gives you more chances at a good fortress spot).

But the thing that I'm really working on, to make this special, is to have goblins with both trolls and beak dogs.

My process goes like this:
1. Start a world with the correct init profile.
2. Check that both the swamp and mountains in the goblin spokes are evil, and that the goblins have in fact settled there (goblins seem to like the dwarven lands too).  Check that no other subregions are evil, and that elves and humans are present.  If failed, restart.
3. Load up world and go to the goblin tower's region.  If you can see the bottomless pit and chasm clearly don't intersect the goblin area, restart.
4. Embark on the goblin tower.  Check to see if the chasm or bottomless pit is present, and that the goblins are hostile.  If either condition fails, restart.
5. Abandon and use the site finder to find an interesting site- underground river, sand, ice, forest, gabbro, magma pipe, HFS.  If not found, restart.
6. Embark on site and use reveal to check for bauxite and magnetite.  (Optional: use a utility to check for giant cave spiders.)  If not found, restart. 

The closest I've gotten is step 3.  And that was a lot of work!  (And I probably won't use the site myself, because I want to use some modded materials in my next fortress- guess I'll do it twice!)

Now: can anybody confirm this from experience- that the tower itself must include an evil swamp block (for beak dogs), and that the tower itself must include a chasm or bottomless pit block (for trolls)?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 05:38:30 am »

I don't think the chasm has to actually hit the tower; i think one of the 9 tower squares merely needs to intersect with a biome that has an evil chasm in it.

I can confirm that Orcs\Goblins only turn up on Beak Dogs if one of their controlled structures is located in an Evil Swamp with Beak Dogs however; i was sieged by Orcs riding Beak Dogs in a fort and i later discovered that they had built a fourth Dark Tower in an Evil Swamp with Beak Dogs in it.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 07:50:59 am »

You realize you'll never get past step 3 due to a bug that causes lots of creatures, goblins notably, already present at a site to be friendly until their civilization sends a siege or ambush your way, right?

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 11:48:03 am »

You realize you'll never get past step 3 due to a bug that causes lots of creatures, goblins notably, already present at a site to be friendly until their civilization sends a siege or ambush your way, right?

...No.  I didn't know that.  Guess I'll check in legends for dwarves and goblins to be enemies, instead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3