Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: This is a ☼World☼  (Read 4238 times)

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
This is a ☼World☼
« on: August 29, 2009, 03:13:33 am »

UPDATE: Link to latest update:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41117.msg732836#msg732836

Yes, it menaces with spikes of microcline.

I'm forcing myself to finish my current megaproject before starting a new fortress.  But I'm allowing myself the liberty of playing with worldgen when I need a break.  The results so far:

I wanted each race to have plenty of area to expand and thrive, so I've given them a couple of spokes apiece.

I also knew that many of my required goodies (HFS, Underground river) were only found on mountain regions.  In order to get good, diverse starting areas, I use mountains surrounded by lowlands- sometimes the mountains only take up a relatively small fraction of the region that way.

I selected four non-mountain biomes that I might be interested in playing with- forest, plains, desert, and glacier.  Hopefully the latter two will allow me sand and ice on the same map- haven't fully tested the effects yet, but I hope it'll allow unlimited construction with both ice casting and glass.

If people are interested in my totally over-the-top way of making the world, I can elaborate on the process.  Maybe someone would be up for making my python tool into an online tool of some sort.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:49:01 pm by Bjiip »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This is a ☼World☼
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 03:14:45 am »

Nice use of the worldgen features.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 04:55:36 am »

Just a quick note, if you want sieges to be more interesting, goblins can bring trolls and beak dogs if you put them in an evil biome that has trolls(Chasm?) and beak dogs(Just evil?), that might be interesting besides the random goblins running at your fort just to die in a trap.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 07:19:59 am »

They need an Evil Swamp for Beak Dogs and a Chasm or Bottomless Pit for Trolls. The Swamp also needs to have Beak Dogs in it.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:16:29 am »

That's awesome. I'd love to hear about the process behind this.

Could I get the worldgen too?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 10:56:16 am »

How the heck did you paint glaciers? I've spent hours trying. Oh, you didn't use the worldpaint, I see. You made a python tool?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 11:51:21 am »

Respect for the result.

Maybe someone would be up for making my python tool into an online tool of some sort.

This.

Or a downloadable utility?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:54:51 am »

That's pretty epic.

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 11:55:02 am »

Just a quick note, if you want sieges to be more interesting, goblins can bring trolls and beak dogs[...]
They need an Evil Swamp for Beak Dogs and a Chasm or Bottomless Pit for Trolls. The Swamp also needs to have Beak Dogs in it.

Excellent suggestion!  Guess I've got a use for that lower-right spoke, now.  I'll see if I can get evil swamps.
Thing is, you can't paint good and evil (oh, how I wish you could!).  So it'll require a lot of regens to get just the swamps to be evil.

How the heck did you paint glaciers? I've spent hours trying. Oh, you didn't use the worldpaint, I see. You made a python tool?

I did worldpaint the glaciers (and everything), but I had to do a little guesswork on the glacier stuff- it's not on the wiki.  When just starting out, I used http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Advanced_world_generation#World_Painter_Parameters.  But I eventually got glaciers by assigning an area a high drainage (100) and very low temperature (-100).  (If you have a drainage of 0, they'll be tundra instead.)  I think I'll try testing the effects of lowering the temperature more- see if it results in thicker ice with more layers.  That would be unusual, though.

That brings me to an important point.  As far as I can tell, the fortress generation considers biome only when drawing your actual dwarf fortress area.  I've tried, but there's just no difference between a elevation 100 forest and an elevation 280 forest.  That's probably why Toady put in low mountains, high mountains, and peaks- that way he can have mountains of different fortress-level elevation with relatively fine gradations in the world-level elevation.

But maybe it's only elevation that's ignored at the fortress level.

Revised Masterworld and generation info coming soon...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:17:42 pm »

Yes, it menaces with spikes of microcline.

I'm forcing myself to finish my current megaproject before starting a new fortress.  But I'm allowing myself the liberty of playing with worldgen when I need a break.  The results so far:

I wanted each race to have plenty of area to expand and thrive, so I've given them a couple of spokes apiece.

I also knew that many of my required goodies (HFS, Underground river) were only found on mountain regions.  In order to get good, diverse starting areas, I use mountains surrounded by lowlands- sometimes the mountains only take up a relatively small fraction of the region that way.

I selected four non-mountain biomes that I might be interested in playing with- forest, plains, desert, and glacier.  Hopefully the latter two will allow me sand and ice on the same map- haven't fully tested the effects yet, but I hope it'll allow unlimited construction with both ice casting and glass.

If people are interested in my totally over-the-top way of making the world, I can elaborate on the process.  Maybe someone would be up for making my python tool into an online tool of some sort.

That's pretty.

This being DF, it is probably filled with death.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 12:20:57 pm »

Epic! The only thing that bothers me is the southeast prong, which seems largely inaccessible.

Also, do those glaciers on the edges connect to something larger, or are they the extent of the landmass?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:22:11 pm »

-100 temperature is absurd, that's enough to easily freeze anyone living in it solid.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 12:48:58 pm »

Thats...very pretty actaully....Wow..

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 01:15:10 pm »

Here's my first release, as it were.  I've tweaked the world a bit, fine-tuning placement of mountains and things, and getting my evil swamp-and-mountain spoke for the goblins.  I advanced it to year 100 to get more population and a second dwarf site- hopefully to increase the variety of ores available at start.  (I also removed the glacier corners, because they were stealing caves from the mainland.)

Goblins appear to preferentially take the highest mountain type available for their fortresses.

I did some testing, and (all else equal) a temperature of -1 yields badlands, -30 yields glacier, and -100 is still glacier.  So it probably transitions at -25.

I found at least one site that may satisfy my requirements: HFS, bottomless pit, underground river, magma pipe, sand, ice.

I seem to be getting a lot of titans at world gen.  I checked and all megabeasts are BIOME: ANY_LAND.  What can I do to get more variety?

I looked at the world sites and populations and didn't see any beak dogs or trolls.  Does that mean the goblins won't have any?  Beak dogs are supposed to be in either temperate or tropical swamps (mine are temperate).  And do I have to make the mountains evil to get trolls?  That could take some serious work, haha.

UPDATE: New download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?njoyjmnzz4m

NOTICE: Please, if you quote, remove the pictures.  It'll make things more compact.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:18:21 pm by Bjiip »

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 01:36:05 pm »

I see... choas... a world of overwhelming chaos...
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).
Pages: [1] 2 3