Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enable all jobs  (Read 936 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enable all jobs
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:13:53 pm »

Enables all non conflicting jobs in labour picker, if axes an picks are avaliable it alternates between mining and wood chopping each time you use it.

Mainly because of immigrants.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Enable all jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:41:28 pm »

I'd like to suggest a collateral 'Disable all jobs' button as well. Because it would be annoying to have to manually disable everything once you've accidentally enabled it, and it would be a nice shortcut for immigrants that you want to do one job and one job only.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 03:22:36 am »

Very useful suggestions. Almost no work implementing them. Good! With some luck, even this release..
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 03:43:04 am »

I'm all for this if it's easy to implement.

But why would you enable all jobs?  I suppose if you're going for a communist fortress or something, it would make sense, but still...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:24:36 pm »

What would be more generally useful would be profiles that you could set up and assign to dwarves, e.g. "Hauler" enables all hauling jobs and disables everything else, "Grunt Mason" enables masonry and stone hauling and disables the rest, "Plant processor" enables plant processing, milling, plant gathering, food hauling, etc. and so on.

Doesn't one of the manager apps have a feature along those lines?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 01:38:08 pm »

Agreed, Derakon.  Not that I would be opposed to Toady implementing either of the two suggested (particularly the ability to turn off all jobs; that I would actually use).
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »

While some settings like "hauler" are ubiquitous, I have to object to including hauling of any kind into other default categories. A "builder" (masonry, architecture) would only be distracted from his work if you include frivolous stone hauling

Categories, including the default ones, should of course be modifiable

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 03:23:14 pm »

While some settings like "hauler" are ubiquitous, I have to object to including hauling of any kind into other default categories. A "builder" (masonry, architecture) would only be distracted from his work if you include frivolous stone hauling

Categories, including the default ones, should of course be modifiable

I don't think anyone suggested default categories, but yeah, it's a good point.  We should also be able to prioritize work within a job, so that hauling jobs can be an option for talented but jobless workers.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.