Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 87684 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #555 on: September 29, 2013, 07:28:06 am »

Mm... certain AI attacks (counterattack posts, ferex) can come from the edge of your systems, and insofar as I can remember don't need warp point access to a system to show up. Those should be very obvious when they're happening, though. Other than that, everything does have to come through warp points, but some units (teleporters, certain cloaked junk) is much better at it than others and can end up in odd places, from time to time.

There's also... some way or another to do something very similar to formations, but I think you have to, like, custom build them or something along those lines. I know there's some way to do it, I've just never used it. Trawl through the command list, see what you can see. Should be something in there. E: Hold j, right click. Things will move in relation to the other stuff you've selected. Formation move.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:34:18 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:10 pm »

Fun times all around. Two systems, connected to the same system owned by me, have an advanced starship constructor, a tachyon microfighter factory, an armored golem, and a hive golem. I already have a black widow golem in my fleet, which I use to lock down enemy ships while my Dyson gatlings and champion ventilate them.

On the flip side, both systems have hundreds of ships (one has two AI champions) and one of them has a counterattack guard post. I find myself having to divert my own champion to a different front because, somehow, AI champion pairs keep running a blockade I have set up in one of my systems. They've blown up the same command post at least five times now.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 02, 2013, 11:59:57 pm »

Champions are very good at punching through defenses and hitting weak structures due to their speed and HP. However, they are without a doubt not the only things that can punch through a barrier. Get used to using shields on your front-line systems with weak structures (including, but not limited to command posts) if the AI has shown a tendency to try striking weak structures. The AI is wise enough to strike important structures even when the system is still heavily defended.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 03, 2013, 12:59:31 am »

So, can someone explain to me why the AI can sometimes warp an army to one of the completely sealed off planets I have? Maybe some suggestions to counter this? And don't suggest anti-warp command centers, they are too resource intensive to fill up all the planets I have sealed off. They are my resource mills.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 03, 2013, 01:14:51 am »

What kind of ships are they using? What are the AI types? What types of special game options do you have on? Are you sure they aren't waves?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:16:49 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 03, 2013, 11:02:44 am »

So, can someone explain to me why the AI can sometimes warp an army to one of the completely sealed off planets I have? Maybe some suggestions to counter this? And don't suggest anti-warp command centers, they are too resource intensive to fill up all the planets I have sealed off. They are my resource mills.
i really can't think off-hand why this would be happening without warning

do you have an exo-galaxy wormhole on that planet? are you doing some sort of hacking (superterminal?) on that planet? is there any ai structure left alive on the planet? is it maybe just a bunch of cloaked ships that bypass your border defenses? if none of these, can you upload your save somewhere and let me take a quick look at it?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:12:29 am by TripJack »

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 03, 2013, 12:52:10 pm »

I'm going to assume the planet their fleet is going to is one of yours and not a couple of ai planets cut of from the rest (they can reinforce those when they feel like it). Are you by any chance destroying any counterattack guardposts? They will trigger an attack against one of your planets at random.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 04, 2013, 10:21:53 am »

I have the AI set to random (I heard something about a warping AI type???), my planets are completely sealed off by my home planet which is heavily defended.

I HAVE attacked counter and warp guardposts. I could be that I am just destroying them without realizing it. I'll keep an eye out for those. It's good to know that that is the probably the only way they can get into my back planets.

So, at what point does everyone start splitting up their forces? Or when do you start leaving ships behind to defend against waves?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 04, 2013, 10:51:49 am »

Why leave ships when you can leave turrets and fortressi instead?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 04, 2013, 11:34:45 am »

Warp Jumper AIs and counterattack guard posts provide the wave timer like any other. Warp Jumper is also a harder AI type, so you'd need to choose one of the randoms including them. Not sure about raid engines and wave timers, though.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 04, 2013, 11:38:35 am »

If it's just small attacks, then remember that the mini-fortress defense building is capped by system rather than total; you can have 2 in every system you control if you have the energy for it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 04, 2013, 11:53:36 am »

The ship waves contain hundreds of units, I'm just going to assume I am missing the timers.

As for defenses, all my turrets are focused on my important planets, such as my home planet, the two planets separating my home planet, and fabricators.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 04, 2013, 09:02:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is cruel, even by the standards of the RNG. Two hops from my homeworld and I found this.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 05, 2013, 12:15:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is cruel, even by the standards of the RNG. Two hops from my homeworld and I found this.
Ugh... That's going to take a while to clear out if you don't want a whole bunch of mkIV counterattacks at the same time.

Is that one of those retaliatory ai's?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:19:41 pm by snelg »
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 05, 2013, 09:32:50 pm »

I belive that is the Rude Gesture subcommander type, since thats not your typical command station.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 47