Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 87836 times)

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #315 on: August 09, 2012, 12:23:14 am »

One thing that makes AI War rather different is the Progress mechanic. Unlike most RTSs total conquest is generally highly impractical/impossible in AI War, the possible exception being on very small map sizes. If you are careless with your expansion, the rape train will run you down in no time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:26:13 am by TripJack »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 09, 2012, 12:35:26 am »

One thing that makes AI War rather different is the Progress mechanic. Unlike most RTSs total conquest is generally highly impractical/impossible in AI War, the possible exception being on very small map sizes. If you are careless with your expansion, the rape train will run you down in no time.

Quite.

There was a post on their forums the other day describing one person's 10/10 game (that's the difficulty, it ranges from 1 to 10, standard difficulty for most players is around 7).  In seven hours they'd raided several data centers (it's negative AI Progress, keeping the AI passive) and colonized one system.

Higher difficulties take more planning and a steady hand.  Lower difficulties will forgive you your transgressions.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 09, 2012, 01:50:36 am »

Heh, Kael and I are still pretty up there in the scoreboards even though we haven't played this in forever.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #318 on: August 09, 2012, 07:37:45 am »

Someone please tell me. What makes this game different from all other RTSs? What makes it unique?

AI War is the only RTS to ever have you make actual strategic level decisions. No other game comes close to that.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 09, 2012, 12:52:15 pm »

So, up to what difficulty level is conquering the largest map the normal thing to do?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 09, 2012, 12:55:15 pm »

So, up to what difficulty level is conquering the largest map the normal thing to do?

4?  You could probably still survive the retaliation for it at that point.  At 5 you wouldn't be able to hold the territory as you conquer it.

But still, no one actually does it as general practice.  Too time consuming.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 09, 2012, 01:17:39 pm »

It is pretty much never the normal thing to do... Even on a super low difficulty it would be an absurd waste of time to take every planet on the largest (120) map size. Hell even on the normal (80) map size it would be too tedious to be worth trying.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #322 on: August 09, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »

Taking the whole map has been done though. IIRC a pair of guys did it on a 120 planet snake map and it took them like 50 hours.

In other news: preview track from the new expansions upcoming soundtrack: http://soundcloud.com/pablo-vega-music/a-war-worth-fighting
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 14, 2012, 08:28:17 am »

I started getting back into the game again, playing the intermediate tutorial, and is it just me or are space tanks massive bitches?
On the 4 planets I currently have colonized, each one has an engineer on FRD mode, but when I checked my home planet I found that a SINGLE space tank had managed to destroy half the turrets around the MK IV wormhole.

I've also noticed that most attacks won't even hit space tanks, even when using bombers.
The hit ratio is something like 5% to do 300,000 damage (with MKII bombers)

I built a few reclaimers and put them on FRD just to rebuild lost tractor turrets, just to be careful. The turrets I do have set up take around 5 minutes per tank for whatever reason, and when they do die, they don't die from multiple hits, they die in almost just one shot.
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 14, 2012, 09:01:54 am »

well.
What mk is the space tank?

It doesn't show from the numbers directly, but higher marks are vastly superior.
They can definitly shred through a lot of turrets. thats what they're made for :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 14, 2012, 09:12:34 am »

The hit ratio is something like 5% to do 300,000 damage (with MKII bombers)

You're still playing version 3-point-something!  Get with the times, man! 8)
(Admittedly, I kinda liked version 3, but version 4 and 5 use different mechanics, none of that "5% chance to hit" crap)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2012, 08:46:12 am »

I......Am disappointed.

I bought this game. The first tutorial was fun but then I noticed something.

Every game is going to be the same. Build defenses, spam ships with the left over resources, attack enemy once you max out ship numbers. AI always sends small waves instead of actually trying to kill you.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2012, 08:50:13 am »

I......Am disappointed.

Every game is going to be the same. Build defenses, spam ships with the left over resources, attack enemy once you max out ship numbers. AI always sends small waves instead of actually trying to kill you.

Bump up your difficulty or give the AI a positive handicap, or even start messing around with different AI types.

Try a Mad Bomber and a Scorched Earth sometime.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #328 on: August 17, 2012, 09:01:19 am »

I......Am disappointed.

Its actually nothing like that in practice. You have played the tutorial and believe you can predict how every real game will play out, which is quite frankly laughable. The layout of each map is random and unique. You never know what sort of ship you will get to start with, nor what kind of handicap you will be under. You could get unlucky and have every research station spawn on the other side of heavily defended systems which you have no hope of punching through. Your base could be wrecked by star trains, and there are dozens of different AI types which all act differently.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 17, 2012, 09:10:22 am »

Meh, maybe I just have to jump into the fire and go into a really difficult game.

But one thing I do know, is that the AI are always clustered around your planet, and there is a bunch of empty space behind them. Do the AI ever expand?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 47