Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 87721 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2010, 02:48:39 pm »

Shine get!

Did you post in the wrong thread?
I think he is saying that he got the game. That being the music you hear in legend of zelda games when you acquire an item.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2010, 03:04:58 pm »

...Oh.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2010, 03:53:45 pm »

It was pretty subtle

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2010, 06:11:26 pm »

=)

Yes I just got the game. Got finished streaming some ARMA2 OA stuff to some people so now I'm going to try this game out.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2010, 06:46:25 pm »

Well guys. Who had the bright idea to play on core AI level 10?

Four of us had a rather failarious game involving the last bastion of humanity surrounded by mines and giant laser cannons.

Let's do it again with...well, not so tough.

At least I had a 815% kill/death ratio.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2010, 07:01:58 pm »

AI 10s are mean.  I'd only play against them on low planet maps (under 30).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2010, 08:17:18 pm »

I thought the smaller maps were supposed to be harder.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2010, 08:37:17 pm »

They are.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2010, 11:06:10 pm »

Given that I've performed a Godlike on a 10 planet map...
Though, TBF I did own 8 of the 10 systems before the game started.

Currently working through a 30 planet map with 7.6s, not too difficult (I'm on my way towards choke-pointing my 17 systems from the AI's 13--just three systems to go) and lost--with a friend--against a pair of 8s on an 80 planet map in under 3 hours (first wave* killed my command station).

*Hell, it wasn't even a wave.  It was some stray ships that flew into my system before I had had time to set up any defenses.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2010, 06:03:28 am »

I'm nearly done a 40 planet map on level 8 difficulty with 2 hard ai. My impressions are as follows:

1. If you ever meet a Dyson Sphere, hide all your capital ships and slow moving ships somewhere far far away. The dyson gatlings he spawns will chew them up and spit them out for breakfast. He literally obliterates everything in a 5 planet radius around him and will continue doing so until you deal with him... one way or the other. The worst part is that even if you managed to get him on your side, any dyson gatlings he spawned before he changed teams will still be hostile to you and will still hunt you down.

2. If a mining golem consumes one of the AI's planets, the AI still gets his usual progress benefit from the destroyed stuff while you have to deal with all the units that start pouring through to your worlds. In other words, once you get a notice that the AI is going to lose his planet... it's actually in your best interest to save the bastards.... even if they'll be shooting at you and not the golem.

3. I see a lot of seemingly scripted behaviour among the AI. For example, if I ever wanted to reveal cloaked units hiding in one of my planets, all I have to do is move my entire fleet out and immediately back in as all cloaked units will automatically converge on the orbital command center. Another instance would be whenever the AI is inside one of your planets, he will always split into two groups. The first one will always go straight for the (in order of priority) ion cannon -> science ships -> orbital station -> factory IV. The second group will always go to some other random planet. Whether this is just coincidence, or the fact that the AI cheats constantly, makes this pretty hard for me to tell...

4. Astrotrains suck. They exist only to make your life miserable.

6. Raider starships are probably the most useful starships in the game aside from the golems. They do ridiculous amounts of damage and fly faster than scouts, which is pretty damn cool. I like a highly mobile army, so raiders are perfect for this. I've reached a point in the game where I don't even attack AI planets with regular units any more. Just with the raider starships. No casualties, and it's faster. The only problem is that they take so long to make.

7. I dislike how every single thing you find in the game will probably increase the AI's power. It's like if in Mario, every time you used a mushroom, all the goombas got slightly faster as well or if every time you drank a potion in an RPG, the enemy gets his hp back too. It just feels cheap, mostly because the AI did nothing to gain such a benefit. In fact, he FAILED to protect his assets and still he benefits. Heck, the AI gets more benefits from failing than he does from actually having the assets. It's the equivalent of the US auto bailouts in game form. I understand the purpose of the system, to make the game continuously challenging as time progresses, but there has to be a way to make it seem less h@x0rz.

I think this is a very interesting and fun game with a strange concept: Try to defeat the enemy without pissing him off too much that he just instagibs you. It's really challenging but I think it's one of those games where every time I lose, I don't think it's because I made a mistake but because the AI is a cheating bastard... and that's probably how the developers intended it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2010, 09:11:35 am »

1. If you ever meet a Dyson Sphere, hide all your capital ships and slow moving ships somewhere far far away. The dyson gatlings he spawns will chew them up and spit them out for breakfast. He literally obliterates everything in a 5 planet radius around him and will continue doing so until you deal with him... one way or the other. The worst part is that even if you managed to get him on your side, any dyson gatlings he spawned before he changed teams will still be hostile to you and will still hunt you down.

As intended.  Dyson Spheres are nasty (convert them early).

3. I see a lot of seemingly scripted behaviour among the AI. For example, if I ever wanted to reveal cloaked units hiding in one of my planets, all I have to do is move my entire fleet out and immediately back in as all cloaked units will automatically converge on the orbital command center. Another instance would be whenever the AI is inside one of your planets, he will always split into two groups. The first one will always go straight for the (in order of priority) ion cannon -> science ships -> orbital station -> factory IV. The second group will always go to some other random planet. Whether this is just coincidence, or the fact that the AI cheats constantly, makes this pretty hard for me to tell...

It depends on the AI's level.  Smarter AIs will know exactly how to split their forces the most efficiently, a dumber AI will make more tactical mistakes (such as running away, even though it has enough ships to pwn your defenses).  And yes, the AI will always go after structures you can't replace first.  Which one of those structures it goes after first (eg. ion cannon vs. advanced factory) likely has to be scripted in the same way that dwarves choosing to dig from the west happens: something has to have a "highest" priority.

In some cases this will benefit the player (Ion Cannons are useless, the AI almost always will have high enough Mk level ships to be immune to the instant-kill ability, whereas the player will almost always still be fleeting Mk1 ships due to ship cap).

4. Astrotrains suck. They exist only to make your life miserable.

Correct sir!  Working as intended.

6. Raider starships are probably the most useful starships in the game aside from the golems. They do ridiculous amounts of damage and fly faster than scouts, which is pretty damn cool. I like a highly mobile army, so raiders are perfect for this. I've reached a point in the game where I don't even attack AI planets with regular units any more. Just with the raider starships. No casualties, and it's faster. The only problem is that they take so long to make.

And personally I've found a love for Leech Starships.  I love being able to fleet ships I can't build.

7. I dislike how every single thing you find in the game will probably increase the AI's power. It's like if in Mario, every time you used a mushroom, all the goombas got slightly faster as well or if every time you drank a potion in an RPG, the enemy gets his hp back too. It just feels cheap, mostly because the AI did nothing to gain such a benefit. In fact, he FAILED to protect his assets and still he benefits. Heck, the AI gets more benefits from failing than he does from actually having the assets. It's the equivalent of the US auto bailouts in game form. I understand the purpose of the system, to make the game continuously challenging as time progresses, but there has to be a way to make it seem less h@x0rz.

Its not so much that the AI benefits from your actions, but that the AI is more angry at you and is sending more resources your way in order to quell the human uprising (all his ships come from outside the galaxy: the AI has way more resources than you do, way more tech, and way more maneuverability.  As you take back planets in this galaxy (or gain other resources) the AI will be doing more and more to stop you).

I think this is a very interesting and fun game with a strange concept: Try to defeat the enemy without pissing him off too much that he just instagibs you. It's really challenging but I think it's one of those games where every time I lose, I don't think it's because I made a mistake but because the AI is a cheating bastard... and that's probably how the developers intended it.

The AI isn't a cheating bastard.  It's playing a different game than you are.  It has a very specific set of rules it plays by (and those rules aren't necessarily fair to you, the player).

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2010, 10:44:36 pm »

Oh yeah, I'm no good with this one.  I get bad tunnel vision, and focus on one thing at a time.

Even with several hundred ships, it seems like enemy ships and other things die slowly.  I have a mixed fleet, too- am I missing something?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2010, 11:57:49 pm »

Oh yeah, I'm no good with this one.  I get bad tunnel vision, and focus on one thing at a time.

Even with several hundred ships, it seems like enemy ships and other things die slowly.  I have a mixed fleet, too- am I missing something?
Are you fighting higher level ships? Mark 3+ ships take forever to die if you haven't teched up yet. Core ships are ridiculous.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2010, 12:58:56 am »

Are you fighting higher level ships? Mark 3+ ships take forever to die if you haven't teched up yet. Core ships are ridiculous.

Of course core ships are ridiculous.  They're Mk5, so about as hard to kill with Mk3s as Mk3s are to kill with Mk1s.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2010, 01:03:03 am »

Of course core ships are ridiculous.  They're Mk5, so about as hard to kill with Mk3s as Mk3s are to kill with Mk1s.
I didn't meant that to read like I thought they shouldn't be. I fully understand the reason they are so tough.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 47