Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 87591 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #615 on: June 19, 2014, 11:37:38 am »

New expansion details. The additional map type linked to in the forum post looks like a combination of Clusters & Wheel.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 19, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »

The nomadic planets intrigues me.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 19, 2014, 01:37:14 pm »

This game is pretty fun.  I'm currently playing a 7/7 vanilla game.  So I figure I'll just do what I usually do in these kind of games, build up a military, take out 1 ai base at a time, and expand my empire. Muhahaha, you don't stand a chance AI.

Oh! There's a memo here?
Well... apparently AIP isn't short for AI Immunity Points.  Well... where do they keep the magma around here?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 19, 2014, 02:10:35 pm »

Well... where do they keep the magma around here?

Missile Silo.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 19, 2014, 03:47:03 pm »

Ahha!  And I see I'll get more of these awesomeness improvement points for using them!

Now, I've noticed the AI is cheating, it keeps increasing its hacking points every time I increase my awesomeness points.  Oh well, I'm sure blowing up more of its stuff will improve matters.

Hah, reading tutorials is for noobs.  I'm racking up these points like a pro, I'll have the high score in no time.  Now, why do these waves keep getting bigger?  Oh well, I assume a mark 3 nuke will take care of things. 5000 points! A winner is me!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 19, 2014, 03:52:46 pm »

A winner is me!

Something like that, anyway.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 20, 2014, 12:15:58 pm »

On a more serious note, in my 7/7 vanilla game, I set automatic AI increase to what the tooltip claims is the default, 1 per 5 minutes.  Is that a typical 'normal difficulty' setting?  At 4 hours in I've got an extra 48 AIP from this, so it is certainly adding up, and it's putting some pressure on me to keep things moving along.  Which leads to my next question...

I took all the planets in my homeworld area, so I have 13 planets or so, with 5 ingress points currently.  I'm wondering if I should take down the gates on a couple of the adjacent planets, to have fewer ingress points, closer together, so if my fleet is needed for a nasty wave or 2, it's not too hard to get around.

After a few nervous moments, where I had 2500 threat from a CPA that didn't actually bother to A, plus 2 regular waves incoming, plus a 1500 ship reprisal wave (I thought I could go attack some of the threat ships on their own turf, but that seemed to be a bad idea, so I heroically retreated), which I managed to survive, after losing a number of planets to dirty rotten cloaked ships, I feel I'm in the mid game pretty solidly. 

So, I've got a few long range targets, I've scouted out a couple advanced factories, and some various fabricators, but they're a few planets back from the front line.  So I'm wondering how to approach this.  It seems that just capturing all the planets between where I am and what I want is going to lead to way too much AIP.  So should I look for a weakly defended planet near my target, and establish a base there?  Is it practical to try to have a few 'islands' deep in AI territory, to stage strikes? I imagine defending them would be hard, but then, I could always just rebuild them when I want to use them, it's not like the AI will rebuild there.

Also, are there any decent places with semi up to date information? The wiki is pretty badly out of date, not surprising given how much and how often things change.  For example, I have no idea how hacking works, or where I could find such information.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 20, 2014, 12:22:46 pm »

On a more serious note, in my 7/7 vanilla game, I set automatic AI increase to what the tooltip claims is the default, 1 per 5 minutes.  Is that a typical 'normal difficulty' setting?  At 4 hours in I've got an extra 48 AIP from this, so it is certainly adding up, and it's putting some pressure on me to keep things moving along.  Which leads to my next question...

I am not sure.  I've got mine set to 0, previously I've done 1 per 30 minutes...

Also, are there any decent places with semi up to date information? The wiki is pretty badly out of date, not surprising given how much and how often things change.  For example, I have no idea how hacking works, or where I could find such information.

The wiki has very few people who can edit it, isn't up to date (the software), and things change super rapidly, so Keith only really does changes for major versions.  Your best bet is probably the strategy forums, although the after action reports can often provide some insight into the top-tier minds.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 20, 2014, 12:39:16 pm »

On a more serious note, in my 7/7 vanilla game, I set automatic AI increase to what the tooltip claims is the default, 1 per 5 minutes.  Is that a typical 'normal difficulty' setting?
Typically, people who play with auto-AIP have it set the way they prefer, and everyone else disables it at 0 AIP per (arbitrary and irrelevant amount of time). If you want controllable auto AIP instead, play with Spire Civ Leaders active.
The AI War forums in general are pretty helpful, not only the strategy section.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 20, 2014, 01:00:19 pm »

On a more serious note, in my 7/7 vanilla game, I set automatic AI increase to what the tooltip claims is the default, 1 per 5 minutes.  Is that a typical 'normal difficulty' setting?
Typically, people who play with auto-AIP have it set the way they prefer, and everyone else disables it at 0 AIP per (arbitrary and irrelevant amount of time). If you want controllable auto AIP instead, play with Spire Civ Leaders active.
Can you set it to -1 AIP per 1 second?
._.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 20, 2014, 01:05:05 pm »

Sadly no :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 20, 2014, 01:05:41 pm »

Nope. Thats technically what the superterminal does though. (lowers your effective AIP every few moments in exchange for an increase in the AIP floor and drains hacking points until you destroy it, or until you get killed from the superterminal hacking response, whichever happens first.)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 20, 2014, 01:41:25 pm »

And of course...

(Crossposted from this blog post)

Steam's annual summer sale is upon us, and Arcen is once again participating with significant discounts on our entire library of games. These discounts will run the duration of the sale, ending the morning of June 30th:

In case there was another Arcen title you wanted to own and didn't yet.  I've heard good things about Skyward Collapse, Bionic Dues, and AVWW2 but I haven't played any of them.  I was disappointed by Last Federation.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 20, 2014, 03:17:32 pm »

Even if you could set it to a negative, reducing it increases the floor for it. Which means it would still increase sooner or later (without the possibility to reduce it again).
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 20, 2014, 03:50:32 pm »

That's bullshit game design right here.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47