Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 87628 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #570 on: October 06, 2013, 07:58:40 am »

The ship waves contain hundreds of units, I'm just going to assume I am missing the timers.

As for defenses, all my turrets are focused on my important planets, such as my home planet, the two planets separating my home planet, and fabricators.

I doubt this is the case, but have you (accidentally?) destroyed all the warp gates on all the AI planets that are next to your own?  It's always a good idea to have at least one "whipping boy" where you can focus your defences.

Doesn't sound like that's what's causing this though, if the mysterious waves are appearing on your planets which aren't open to the rest of the AI galaxy anyway.

Additional: another 'just in case you missed it' suggestion: you haven't managed to leave an AI warp gate intact on one of your planets, have you?  Unlikely, I know!  ;)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 06, 2013, 10:50:45 am »

i don't think that is possible, gates explode when you kill the system's command station

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 06, 2013, 05:42:17 pm »

Ok. Now I KNOW that it isn't the destruction of special guard posts that is sending units to my sealed off planets without warning. I sent my main fleet to one of their planets (after saving, as I wanted to see what would happen) to intercept what I would assume to be this 4000+ army coming through this specific wormhole very slowly. It worked, and I massacred their forces, but all I did was sit on a wormhole in their system. And their units started spawning in my systems.

Very annoying.

Also, don't bother asking me for a save, I am far too lazy to upload and link it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 07, 2013, 12:04:20 am »

If you aren't going to post your save, at least answer my questions, if you care about your game.

What kind of ships are they using? What are the AI types? What types of special game options do you have on? Are you sure they aren't waves?
(And you can see the AI type even if they're random if you set the option to reveal AI types, but if not then just skip that question)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 14, 2014, 06:18:51 pm »

Might as well raise this from the dead with a question: Is it non-bugged behavior for you to start the game with an exo-galactic wormhole in your home system?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 14, 2014, 06:20:55 pm »

Might as well raise this from the dead with a question: Is it non-bugged behavior for you to start the game with an exo-galactic wormhole in your home system?

Ahh...The Backdoor Hacker.

You'll learn to love that AI type.  That wormhole lets it send you waves strait to your homeworld instead of attacking only your boarder systems.

Also, the game is working towards polishing things up for the 8.0 release.  Massive changes to the economy occurred in 7, as well as other pretty significant alterations to some aspects of the game.  If there's anything you want to see changed, head over to the Nominations for 8 thread.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 14, 2014, 06:23:59 pm »

one or both of your AI's are the Backdoor Hacker type

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 14, 2014, 06:45:49 pm »

Welp. Time to dump research into turrets and defenses and turn that spot into an oasis of pain and death for any would-be attackers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40:47 am »

With salvage, backdoor hacker might make the game easier (or at least, a lot less tedious) as long as you can keep it under control. Your home command station adds 50% of the value of destroyed ships to your income from salvage.

Last game, at times my salvage income was actually greater then my normal income..... and that was with only 12%(?) from a basic starting level military station. With 50% you'd have tons and tons of extra metal every time the AI decided to pay a visit.

Then again I see from the "nominations for 8" thread that salvage might end up nerfed anyway.

Unrelated note: do champions ever become worthwhile? I've only used it in one game, and I only managed to do 3 nebulae because map design made it very awkward to get to any other ones. I think it was a destroyer after 3? anyway, it's nice that when it "died" it was rebuilt for free, but it didn't seem all that effective and after a while, I stopped bothering to "collect" it when it died and just let it defend the home station (from nothing) for the rest of the game.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 15, 2014, 09:07:58 am »

Battleship champs are decent at fighting on their own, or rather helpful with support. Probably easier to get one using alt-champs rather than nebulae though. Unless you really like the nebulae.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 15, 2014, 09:18:58 am »

Champs can be quite nice, yes. Especially with the right modules (photon lance [ultimate station sniping doomcritter], nanosub/insanity inducer [fleetships buggeroff], spawners [enclave +1], doom accelerators [starships buggeroff]) or if you're willing to micromanage enough to leverage the abilities for your fleet. The shield can be very useful, and the rest of the stuff is pretty nice, too. Even before they hit battleship, but especially after. Champions are ultimately just a very powerful, very mobile starship with some impressive tricks and a very versatile (and, given luck with unlocks, very powerful) weapon load out. They're worthwhile for that alone, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:28 am »

Then again I see from the "nominations for 8" thread that salvage might end up nerfed anyway.

What'll get nerfed is the "value of ship" -> "amount of scrap in orbit" conversion.

Basically, fleetships won't change, starships will lose ~10%, and even bigger stuff will lose even more.  So it would really only effect how much scrap "an exo with three golems shows up" drops.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 15, 2014, 10:20:53 am »

I mostly use the champion to shield fleet ships and save them from incoming fire. Mostly with guard posts, missile frigates, and the excruciatingly painful Spire starships (ones with the lances). Mark III bomber drones are loads of fun, too.

On Shadow Frigates: I recently found fifteen mark II-III starships stacked on the exact same point of space as a Spire Shadow Frigate. They never fanned out like most ships do. Probably the first inconsistency I've seen in the game in my ~75 hours.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:08:12 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 15, 2014, 01:07:15 pm »

If you can micromanage Champions, they are easily very high up on the metal cost/effectiveness ratio because of what they can do and because of the customization options. Oh wait, they don't cost anything to build. So they have effectively infinite potential because they never truly die, they're extremely efficient in metal, they can be heavily customized, and they have special abilities that can both win a battle/save an irreplaceable (shield) or make your life as a player far easier (Tachyon emitters, anyone?) so they are really something that's good to have.

Also, champion Photon Lances are some of the most powerful anti-stationary and anti-clumped fleet weapons around, and Spire Champions can mount a lot of the things and do some serious damage.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 15, 2014, 01:48:12 pm »

Zenith champ probably has the most useful heavy slots of the ships that don't get Lances.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 47