Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Types of Dragon  (Read 3218 times)

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Types of Dragon
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 07:01:20 pm »

The only good male dragon is a big dragon, with his mate, a few children, his parents of course, grandparents also present, and not to forget uncles, aunts, cousins and maybe a few grand children.

To sum it up… A real dragon civilization.

Neutral against you from start but hurt 1 of them and you get 10-15 oversized lizards at your doorstep (flying around, having trapavoid, also not able to cage!!!) destroying the entire countryside, maybe even block the river from flowing into the map area.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 01:37:58 pm »

The only good male dragon is a big dragon, with his mate, a few children, his parents of course, grandparents also present, and not to forget uncles, aunts, cousins and maybe a few grand children.

Dragons--almost across all literature, myth, and legend--are not that sociable of creatures.

Depending on what modern fantasy you read, how well they get along with each other varies from "manage to reproduce" to "tolerates in close proximity, albeit irritable."  The only "dragon civilization" I can think of in modern books would be E.E. Knight's Age of Fire series, particularly as seen in Dragon Outcast and Dragon Strike.  And they still kill each other in blood feuds (less Me vs. You and more My Hill vs. Your Hill--the hills being sort of the different clans, each one lives on one of several hills in the city, and there isn't much "dragon civilization" beyond their giant underground city, though they do have land holdings above ground: serf'd humans tilling the land).

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 02:58:39 pm »

Poisonous dragons in swamps and stuff like that.

An animal becomes poisonous to discourage predation, not because it lives in a swamp. Lecturing us about nature and then suggesting something like that creates an odd dissonance

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 03:25:22 pm »

I personally think that alternate dragons should spawn from possible Sphere mutations which should be available for most-all other Megabeasts.

Otherwise it just seems like lazy color coded dragons.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:32:16 pm by Neonivek »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 09:32:21 pm »

I actually just want them to be intelligent.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 10:13:02 pm »

I personally think that alternate dragons should spawn from possible Sphere mutations which should be available for most-all other Megabeasts.

Song-Sphere Dragons that would lure prey to their doom by singing? Blight-Sphere Dragons that spread Miasma, and wither plants and trees where they walk? Wealth-Sphere Dragons that would zealously horde items as they do now?

Having Spheres influence Megabeasts, rather than Megabeasts influencing their Spheres, is a really interesting idea, though much like Magic, it seems tough to implement in a simple and elegant way.

Me too. Adding [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] helps create the impression... though I also would also like to see them fly, snatch livestock off the ground and eat them in midair, have children, and collect a more impressive horde than a series of +MULE LEATHER LEFT MITTENS+.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 01:43:23 am »

Song-Sphere Dragons that would lure prey to their doom by singing?

Irene Radford.  Her (mammalian!) dragons could produce hallucinations in people and make them walk off cliffs, or similar.  There's only one instance of it in the books, but it went into sufficient detail.  It's basically this.

Blight-Sphere Dragons that spread Miasma, and wither plants and trees where they walk?

I'm certain there's an existing example here too, I am just not recalling it.

Wealth-Sphere Dragons that would zealously horde items as they do now?

Elizabeth Kerner, sorta.  Her dragons, when they slept, turned the ground they were on into gold.  Also one of the only "by default" good dragons I know of (outside of the metalics in D&D--but I'm not counting them as those dragons are color coded for your convenience; Kerner's dragons were ALL good, regardless of color, though her demons were essentially dragons too, really messed up mutated ones by the description, but were called demons).

Having Spheres influence Megabeasts, rather than Megabeasts influencing their Spheres, is a really interesting idea, though much like Magic, it seems tough to implement in a simple and elegant way.

I like. :)

Me too. Adding [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] helps create the impression... though I also would also like to see them fly, snatch livestock off the ground and eat them in midair, have children, and collect a more impressive horde than a series of +MULE LEATHER LEFT MITTENS+.

Same.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 02:21:57 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

only if toady add [CAN_RULE], [CAN_POWN_CIV], [VERY_AGGRESSIVE] and [CAN_BECOME_EVIL_NAZI_DICTATOR]

I vote that dragons have a slim chance to spawn a new breath weapon, randomly generated(a dragon's normal bodily fluids are excluded).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 02:24:35 am »

Any creature with intelligence should have the ability to rule.

The rest is just personality.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 02:29:41 am »

Which tag is it that makes goblins take Demons as civ rulers? I wish to do the same to Titans and Dragons.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 02:51:08 am »

Hmmm... I believe Dig Deeper has their Dragon Types as possible powers. I don't know which Tag does it though... you may want to ask the author of the mod?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 02:59:59 am »

Which tag is it that makes goblins take Demons as civ rulers? I wish to do the same to Titans and Dragons.

It was the "Power" tag I believe.

Though next release the Megabeasts should be able to take over Goblin civilisations (or any, but the goblins are the easiest)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 03:13:59 am »

[POWER] Allows the creature to receive the Worship of any Civ Entity with the [RELIGION:ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] Tag.

Perhaps this translates to leadership though... Demons are the only creature with [POWER] right now.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 03:48:17 am »

Technically, [POWER] lets any civ entity with the [RELIGION:ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] tag AND a [RELIGION_SPHERE] tag that matches the [SPHERE] tag of the power. So, currently, you can't have a creature with the spheres of Love and Justice take over a goblin civ and force it into being lovey-dovey. Sadly.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 03:49:44 am »

Can you do it to elves? I'd love to see a elf civ being ruled by a unicorn.
Pages: 1 [2] 3