Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A 40d Boatmurdered  (Read 4689 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
A 40d Boatmurdered
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:21:24 am »

For all of those familiar with the chronicles of Boatmurdered... wow. For those who aren't, http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/intro.html

It's actually an amazingly good read.. and the end is so hilariously sad. But anyway, i propose that we do another one, with the xyz axis DF, with the newer, cleaner, and less likely to have elephant rampage DF. 40d. or the one that toady is going to finish in 2012, cos everyone knows it's way too huge an update to chuck into one.
(Note: Toady, i understand that you don't want to break save compatibility more than you have to, but honestly, with the amount of suspense that's going around on this really, really, really huge update, you should have just done a Starcraft II with it.)
Anyway. We should make another boatmurdered, with a newer DF, on the official bay12games forum. Anyone interested?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: A 40d Boatmurdered
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:31:54 am »

SparkGear, from what I've read, is pretty close to it.

What really made Boatmurdered, for me, was Ral 'StarkRavingMad' Swearingen. He was funny - not the constant swearing, but the guy who RP'd him had a genuine, if coarse, sense of humour.

You'd need to bring some pretty prolific personalities together to succeed on Boatmurdered's level.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:32:38 am »

I think the question is, is that even possible? I don't want to sound like a downer, but Boatmurdered was another of those freaks of nature type threads, ones that can never be recreated.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:34:20 am »

Hehe.

Boatmurdered is a memetic masterpiece on its own.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:36:09 am »

well i'm in if it ever happens

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 07:36:19 am »

And a forced meme is a good way of describing intentionally trying to recreate Boatmurdered. It's like the moon landings. The first is epic, the rest...

Okay, bad example. I just don't think it'll be anywhere near as good.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:09:54 am »

some guys from the brazilian orkut community want to "recreate" boatmurdered...
I'm on the project

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 02:24:04 pm »

This belongs in the community games forum.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 03:04:57 pm »

You can't recreate Boatmurdered in 40d, because 40d lacks respawning vengeful animals of any sort.

The new version Toady is working on may be able to handle a new Boatmurdered though.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:24:14 pm »

I can't speak on the respawning part, but in my current fortress, I had 5 clusters of troglodytes waiting about 35 tiles outside of my main entrance...

Watching....

Waiting...

Just across the river...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 12:26:31 pm »

Should've rushed them with recruits.

I find that green troops fighting equally unskilled enemies make for much more Fun than a single death bringing champion.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 04:41:56 am »

Hanyway. I reckon that if we were to have a suitable amount of caverns and caves on a map, it could work.

We could plead with toady to make us a perfect map, or any other person with advanced C++ knowledge.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 05:07:48 am »

It can be done, but don't expect it to look like the original. Even if you managed to find a perfect site with magma pipe, chasm, underground river, HFS and elephants (and somehow managed to piss them off enough for them to actually attack the dwarves), there's still a lot of important features missing. No seasonal flooding, for instance. No guild masters. It will also be really difficult to flood the world with magma, and the whole steam trap thing is gone. Even if you attempted to flood the world with magma / water, your framerate will likely go down beyond the minimal level required to play normally.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 05:09:25 am »

And then there's the people themselves. They were special.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 05:10:53 am »

Some more so than others.
Pages: [1] 2 3