Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Table Surfing/The Floor Is Made Of Magma  (Read 1440 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Table Surfing/The Floor Is Made Of Magma
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:44:06 pm »

You all remember when you were kids and you'd play the "don't touch the floor, jump from couch to couch" game, a.k.a. The Floor Is Made Of Lava.

I got to thinking, then, about DF lava and that particular phenomena. To put it simply, a piece of furniture could count as a safe zone in certain depths of water. For example, a table might be stood upon to keep a dwarf out of 4/7 water (or magma) while a chair might only work for 3/7 and thereby soak (or burn) their feet.

Further distinctions would have to be made, but I think it's worth a trifle's worth of code and has the potential to produce some Fun™ scenarios.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
Re: Table Surfing/The Floor Is Made Of Magma
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:22:25 pm »

...some Fun™ scenarios.

Namely hundreds of dwarf children prancing around in the dining room whilst their elders futile attempts to calm them go unnoticed? Then one slips in the lard dinner and gets his eye poked out on some menacing spikes! One trip to the hospital and a couple years later and the pirate of a dwarf gets melancholy and scribbles hundreds of morbid images of children prancing on torture devices all over the new adamantium dining room your noble mandated be enscribed with images of himself.

That would be hilarious! ;D

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:08:57 pm »

"DAD! THE FLOOR IS LAVA!"
"Haw Haw, good one Urist Jr."
"NO! SERIOUSLY! GET ON THE TABLE!"
"Haw, that will never -ARHGHAHTH MY FEET

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:27:58 pm »

"DAD! THE FLOOR IS LAVA!"
"Haw Haw, good one Urist Jr."
"NO! SERIOUSLY! GET ON THE TABLE!"
"Haw, that will never -ARHGHAHTH MY FEET

Both hilarious and completely plausible in DF.

Edit: as for the suggestion, I'm not really sure it's worth the trouble. It seems to me that magma would heat anything soaking in it up enough that it would soon cause nearly as bad burns as the magma alone would.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:30:03 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:31:50 pm »

The heat from convection alone would boil you, if you were in the same room as a magma flow.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:25:18 am »

...what about all the poisonous gas?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 04:01:39 am »

Yeah, that too.

Basically, MAGMA = DEATH.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 04:45:15 am »

Ah, but dwarves can stand on a grate above a tile of magma just fine.

I like the idea of dwarves climbing onto tables to escape magma. It gives them more characterization and makes magma floods more entertaining.

Of course, non-magma-safe furniture will burn/melt eventually, so the poor dwarves will still die, just in a less silly manner.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 04:53:16 am »

Bit more tragic, too.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 09:37:26 am »

The heat from convection alone would boil you, if you were in the same room as a magma flow.

Seeing as how dwarves can prance along a walkway one floor above an active volcano just fine without their eyeballs boiling out, I think we can file this one away.

That said, it is relatively minor, but it's also probably not to hard to code. I know that might sound arrogant coming from someone who has never had to do more than use Terminal to boot up DF, but hey, what can ya do?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 11:33:24 am »

-chmod
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 01:56:39 pm »

I totally was hoping this thread was going to be about stupid, dangerous behavior that children should have.

"Don't touch the cracks between the tiles!"  How right they are...
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 02:21:03 pm »

Heat Convection would serious kill anything from prolonged exposure. The only reason dwarfs haven't be effect by it so far is because  Toady has not put it in. True, dwarfs could probably handle better than other civs, but they shouldn't be immune.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 02:27:23 pm »

There's a difference between 'it works this way because effort hasn't been made to make it work correctly' and 'effort has been made to make it work this way'.

By which I mean, convection not killing dwarves in the magma forges isn't a good argument that they should be able to survive a flow by standing on a chair.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 02:38:07 pm »

Well, dwarves can survive for over 150 years with their only hydration coming from alcohol. That would kill an average human inside of 40 years. Clearly, dwarven physiology is different than that of the dwarves. Dwarves may be able to survive the toxic fumes coming from magma. Since the size of a square is left vague, the floors may be several dozen feet thick which would protect you from magma, especially if it's a particularly insular type of stone.

It's also worth noting that while toxic fumes from a volcano are deadly, so is the smoke from an improperly ventilated charcoal forge - such as a forge inside of a mine. Presumably toxic gasses are either something Toady isn't going to worry about or something he'll get around to.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: [1] 2