Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: caged giant cave spider  (Read 7752 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
caged giant cave spider
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:37:36 pm »

I caught a giant cave spider in a cage. Any ideas what I should do with it?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: caged giant cave spider
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:01:10 pm »

Tame it, if you can.

Edit: Hmm, doesn't look like you can. Oh well.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 06:03:07 pm »

Wait until a seige and let it go and let it kill the invaders and have a way to recapture it if it doesn't die.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:04:51 pm »

Release it in the dining room. Post pics.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:09:47 pm »

I have 2 suggestions.

1. Silk farming.
2. Apply magma.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 06:25:27 pm »

Tame it, if you can.

Edit: Hmm, doesn't look like you can. Oh well.

If it hasn't killed any of your dwarves, you most certainly can tame it. It can even be adopted as a (very) exotic pet, though it's usually more effective to build a silk factory.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 07:02:40 pm »

Tame it with the DM if it hasn't killed anyone yet. If it's already killed a dwarf, create a silking pit.

Notes on the creation of a silking pit:

1. A silking pit is a form of deathtrap where you use hapless invaders/immigrants/kittens to encourage a wild GCS to create webbing.

2. Dig an enclosed pit, preferably a large one, with all entrances sealed via floodgates, bridges, or pits. Dig a tunnel off to the side of this pit with floodgate/bridge and a kitten behind a cage trap.

3. Build the GCS cage inside the silking pit, wire it to a lever, close the pit, release the spider.

4. Drop hapless invaders/dwarves/animals down into the pit. It's advisable to strip prisoners before using them in the silking process, as while a GCS is very powerful it won't stand up to an armed, legendary warrior.

5. Once you've produced enough silk, open the second tunnel. The GCS will go after the kitten and step on the cage trap.

6. Open the outside door and have your weavers come collect the highly valuable GCS silk. Enjoy!
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 07:05:46 pm »

Ha, forgot about [PET_EXOTIC].

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:27:44 pm »

A think you'll find the silk farm most amusing; taming it for a pet means pretty soon it'll disappear into the ranks of your normal animals. Having the silk farm combines the fun of the Rancor pit in RotJ with a pretty valuable industry. When your fort is going through a boring winter throwing stray goblins and cats into the pit will keep you interested in the game.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 07:40:47 pm »

I am never going to get tired of quoting this as a suggestion for caged animals, because it's so perfect for almost anything.

Eat that fucker.

But honestly, a GCS silk farm would be amazingly profitable. And I'm not sure if you can butcher spiders.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 07:51:11 pm »

You can butcher any tame animal, so long as it is alive.  If it dies before butchering, it depends on raw tag combinations I am no longer sure about.

If you have modded enough to get tame sapients, you can even butcher those, ethics regardless.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 08:31:00 pm »

I am fairly certain the [NOT_BUTCHERABLE] keeps creatures from being butchered.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 09:05:25 pm »

The real question is, Do tame GCS still make silk? If so, Tame it, breed it, make a bunch...and then?

WAR SPIDERS?!?!?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 10:52:46 pm »

Well, I read in some other thread that some genius built a room, built fortifications across the center, chained a GCS in one half, and threw a goblin into the other half. Apparently it shot silk at the goblin like anything (because it couldn't reach it) and the silk could then be collected.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 11:02:29 pm »

If I read it correctly, they had said that the GCS had to be able to path to the goblin, so they chained a goblin on one side, the GCS on the other, and had fortifications behind the goblin which the extra webs would spill through, to be collected.
Pages: [1] 2