Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Lion Melted Fat Splatter  (Read 6154 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Lion Melted Fat Splatter
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 02:54:56 pm »

I thought schmalz was specifically chicken fat.
Let's be honest... DF isn't above a specific term for melted CHICKEN fat....
Yes it is - chickens don't exist.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 02:55:10 pm »

Yet.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 02:55:45 pm »

Heh, I was just about to post about Schmaltz.

The thing is, even if schmaltz is specific to chicken fat (and it technically is) the word grease puts me in mind of hair spray more than it makes me think of cooking grease... and even when I do think of cooking grease, I tend to think about the slick on top of a pizza or the smear on a napkin.  Schmaltz on the other hand makes me think of big heaping handfuls of oozing lard.

So when I think of a dwarf covered in grease, I think of a transparant oily substance barely coating the surface of his skin, like sunscreen.  When I think of a dwarf covered in schmaltz, I think of a dwarf spattered in globs of gunk.  I definitely prefer the latter when it comes to the imagry we want to convey.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 02:58:03 pm »

Yet.
This could be applied to just about any feature imaginable - from realistic cave-in physics to quantum mechanics.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 03:04:13 pm »

I wasn't sure if that was just a post-rendering thing since I don't know anything about that kind of thing (the dictionary is ambivalent), but I'm happier with grease than melted fat, though this means all grease is hot, instead of being nasty congealed crap that can be cold.

Grease doesn't have to be hot.

That was his point.  When he said "means" he was talking about the game's internal semantics, as a contrast to our own.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 03:42:59 pm »

WHy can't it just read "grease spatter"?  Do we need all that information about it being melted, or from a lion?  How would I know, if I were to gaze upon that dragon, that the grease spatter covering it was in fact from a lion?

Granted, in the Toadyverse all grease is not the same... no doubt there will be eventually be monsters whose grease causes you to contract leprosy or makes teeth sprout from your skin or something. 

As a side note, I remember there being a bug that caused the dwarves to butcher imps, and then once they were butchered their fat exploded in a cloud of flaming vapor.  It would be kind of cool if slicing open an imp created massive flaming clouds or sth.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 04:05:46 pm »

blood and grease and chunks= gibbs.

your head is sprayed with lion's blood

Your right arm was splattered with lion's blood and hair, the hair is from the lions left upper ear.

with it, you clutch the +ox-fibula axe+, tipped with obsidian.

Your left arm is drenched liberally with lion and dwarf's blood, and lion grease, a large gash is exposed, and contains a dwarf-bone chip, the
ulna is exploded outward into two parts, and the radius is dislocated.

your left arm and hand are numb and unuseable.

your body contains a wide incision from left to right, exposing rended fat, bleeding small intestines, and bile leaks from a secondary gash.
,.,. The bile flows slowly, but more quickly with every step down the crevasse of the gap, into the large tear over your large and small intestines.
,.,., The bile and blood have mixed in the lower half of the exposed body cavity forming vomituminous blood.

your legs are covered in a little grease and blood leaked from your open bellywound, rounded out with lion gibbs from the lion's upper left shoulder.

Your left foot is covered in vomit, excluding the back corner.

Atop your right foot is a larger chunk of vomit, a tiny piece of almost fully pulped tallow-seed biscuit.

The Legs, and gibbs are both dusted with loamy sand, dirt, and a few pebbles amoung the chunks.

your feet and body otherwise remain dry, and free of water from your last river crossing.
You are tired, You cannot move your left arm, your legs are stiff from climbing, you are weak from blood loss, you are infected with stomach bacteria, once contained in your stomach.

nearby you spot a Xxlion corpsexX

You black out from pain.
Urist mcbraveslaughter, has died of bloodloss.

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2009, 05:44:09 pm »

Your right arm was splattered with lion's blood and hair, the hair is from the lions left upper ear.

Your left arm is drenched liberally with lion and dwarf's blood, and lion grease, a large gash is exposed, and contains a dwarf-bone chip, the

your body contains a wide incision from left to right, exposing rended fat, bleeding small intestines, and bile leaks from a secondary gash.
,.,. The bile flows slowly, but more quickly with every step down the crevasse of the gap, into the large tear over your large and small intestines.
,.,., The bile and blood have mixed in the lower half of the exposed body cavity forming vomituminous blood.

your legs are covered in a little grease and blood leaked from your open bellywound, rounded out with lion gibbs from the lion's upper left shoulder.

Atop your right foot is a larger chunk of vomit, a tiny piece of almost fully pulped tallow-seed biscuit.

The Legs, and gibbs are both dusted with loamy sand, dirt, and a few pebbles amoung the chunks.

your feet and body otherwise remain dry, and free of water from your last river crossing.
You are tired, You cannot move your left arm, your legs are stiff from climbing, you are weak from blood loss, you are infected with stomach bacteria, once contained in your stomach.

You black out from pain.

This is what epic is made of
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2009, 06:08:54 pm »

You black out from pain.

This is what epic is made of
Seconded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2009, 06:21:28 pm »

I've removed the spatter vs. splatter argument and muted Rowanas for three days.  When I come into a thread and tell people to stop insulting each other, that's what I mean.  It doesn't mean to make a new insult and then apologize to me but leave the insult there.

But yeah, what I meant by hot grease is that "grease" in DF will always be hot, because it is the fat material that has surpassed its melting point, which is by necessity high since fat exists in fairly warm living creatures.  The game doesn't yet have chemistry to the point where it can change the fat's composition so that when it cools, it is something else that is now called grease, though certainly that sort of thing would actually be possible to add in the future (just a quick check during state changes would suffice).  Right now, if grease in the game cools, it will turn back into fat, even though it would still be grease in real life which is perhaps slightly closer to tallow chemically or something.  Fat rendering in the game is still a magical process that turns fat into tallow without thinking about what's actually going on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2009, 06:24:09 pm »

Why the heck are people making a big deal over the difference between spatter and splatter? Other than the Brits probably goading us Americans.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2009, 06:25:01 pm »

Yeah to heck with all that. Why not start adding more descriptors? Like hammer churned spleen butter?
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2009, 06:33:01 pm »

... hammer churned spleen butter?

Just like mom used to make!
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2009, 09:18:04 pm »

WOAH!! I made a suggestion that got in the game?!?!?! WOOT!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2009, 07:52:39 am »

TBH i don't care about the syntax, if it were in the next release i would treat it with the same loving suspense of disbelief i have with carp
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4