Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specific training for animals  (Read 767 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Specific training for animals
« on: August 26, 2009, 02:18:08 pm »

I've searched thoroughly and found nothing on this, so I'm going to go for it.

I think when animals are trained we should get a little checklist of things we want to train them in. Toady (armok be with him) has already stated that the whole hunting/training thing needs some work and I agree. we should be able to train animals in a variety of things, such as sneaking, damage, sight range, that kind of stuff. Each one would add to the time it took to train the animal, but if you wanted uber beasts good for any occasion, you might put the effort in.

If you want guardbeasts then that will be damage training and  endurance, maybe some sight range. By training pets in a modular kind of way we can make training mean more and be more specific. Currently if you want a dog to hunt it'll be crap at killing and if you want a dog to kill it'll be crap at hunting. Doing this will also tie in to the breeding that's being talked about, because some dogs will be bred for speed and strength ad then trained extra for speed and strength, or you might want to train out poor qualities in pets.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Specific training for animals
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 02:29:15 pm »

I disagree... I think there should be a raws entry marked 'trainable' for animals.  This entry doesn't occur naturally, but will show up in the list.  I.E. Dogs would have a 'war dog' and 'hunting dog' entry, while horses might have 'draft', 'war', or 'race'.  Elephants could be trained for 'war' or 'draft' (and be able to haul stuff themselves)