Advanced search  

Author Topic: Utopia  (Read 1504 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Utopia
« on: August 26, 2009, 09:02:45 am »

http://utopia.swirve.com/index.php

This is a browser game I played a LONG time ago. I remember it being one of the most anal retentive games, rules and numbers obsessed games I've ever come across, but it's free, and it's browser-based.

It's a painfully slow game, what with a single game lasting weeks, and relies more on teamwork and careful management than anything. A degree in some sort of math will help alot too.

But I don't know, it's not my thing, and I'm sure there's some people that like this stuff.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Utopia
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:07:55 am »

I took a look at the guide and it does seem quite numbers-heavy.

But being around since 1998 is pretty impressive for a browser MMO.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:25:08 am »

Eh I've been playing it, kinda considering quiting to be honest since I've been at it for so long.

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:58:35 am »

I'll try it out for a bit, if others will.  We should all sign up as Dwarves, of course. ;)

And after some fiddling with DF's name generator (and the obligatory Urist...) I am Urist Axescholars, Wise Lord of the Greater Chambers. Strike the Earth!  ;D

Edit: Ah, I see.  I thought it grouped races together, but I guess it just dumps them into random kingdoms.  You can, however, have your mystics change your kingdom and/or island (I assume the island is like some sort of chat filter used for large Kingdoms?  I'm not sure.)  Bah, nevermind again.  I dunno how it actually works.  Looks like you're pretty stuck where you are, though...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 10:35:15 am by Singularity »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 11:57:15 am »

There's a fairly newer iteration of the Utopia game at utopiakingdoms.com

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:28:51 pm »

Utopia was the first browser-based game I played.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 02:38:38 pm »

I have played Utopia off and on since my freshmen year of high school (about ten years ago) and I will say this:

You can have fun with this game, but it will quickly lose it's playability if you don't have an active, team-work oriented kingdom. In the beginning, as a small fry, you are kind of under the radar. As you get larger people will be watching you and will often leap on you if you're undefended and no one in your kingdom can hit them back. In these situations expect to lose many times over the land you gained.

Wars equate to how active the kingdom is and how often people attack. Usually 1-3 dudes end up taking ALL the blows so each war ends with most of the kingdom getting bigger and a few, or many depending on how the war went for your side, will be decimated. Wars often turn into a battle to keep your land even and your troops in the field as often as possible.

Any kind of higher level play (and I mean getting anywhere near the top 10 on your island) will require you to log in 2+ times a day to expend your resources and attack. If you're an attacker you'll need to be attacking at least twice a day, but most kingdoms will request you are attacking 3 times a day. As a thief/mage you will need to be running 30-40+ ops a day.

It's fun when you get an active kingdom. It sucks balls (after the initial week or two you play the game) if you do not.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 03:27:47 pm »

Also, the first thing you should do once you've created your land is go to the kingdom forum and say hi. If you do not do this in a few days most kingdoms will kill you for being inactive/incapable of being a team player.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 03:35:07 pm »

Also, the first thing you should do once you've created your land is go to the kingdom forum and say hi. If you do not do this in a few days most kingdoms will kill you for being inactive/incapable of being a team player.

GAH! When I played, Kingdoms only killed provinces who are a direct threat to the Kingdom as a whole.

Killing people for being inactive/not being a team player is a bit too...bad.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 04:42:26 pm »

Wow, seriously, Utopia?  I played this game back in high school, back when we still believed the earth was flat.  I quit playing about a week in, because I kept getting destroyed without any clue as to why, and my brain is not too friendly with numbers.  I'm amazed to hear this game is still around...

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 10:11:32 pm »

Wow, seriously, Utopia?  I played this game back in high school, back when we still believed the earth was flat.  I quit playing about a week in, because I kept getting destroyed without any clue as to why, and my brain is not too friendly with numbers.  I'm amazed to hear this game is still around...

Something like 32,000 players last I saw. One of Swirve's biggest games (which is so funny because Swirve was the company that BOUGHT OUT Utopia).