Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Succession game : player engraving  (Read 3449 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Succession game : player engraving
« on: May 29, 2007, 01:36:00 am »

What has been done already is probably a great fun already for succession game. But maybe it could be even better if 2 options where added :
- player engraving. The player simply writes himself some text that the dwarfs will engrave. As an adventurer, he can also give some text to some people who will remember it and eventually repeat it.
- Legends erasing. To allow new player to discover the new worls.

Maybe this could make succession even more rich. Who knows, someone might use that to craft some kind of quest for a future player.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Succession game : player engraving
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »

By legend erasing, do you mean marking them as hidden again, so they'll be revealed again in adv mode?

I guess custom engravings could interact with the custom dwarvish phrase entry screen more and more as a grammar develops, although dwarves will never be able to say pwned in an unmodded game, so I guess the player will always need to be able to type.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »

I've always wanted to carve this into my frontal walls

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:12:00 am »

I wish engravings were a little less "engraving of waves" and more "this is an engraving of dwarves and ratmen. The dwarves are throwing the ratmen back into the chasm." I know the stuff gets fleshed out when reviewed as an adventurer, but I always wait to double engrave things until more interesting stuff has happened to my fort, and I'm disappointed to STILL see lots of "depiction of triangles" and so forth.

Although, I really dig the "depiction of a hidden moon" that I got once. That stuff is pretty cool.

Is there any way we could mod these a bit? I would love to see more Myth and Myth II style legends, with demons fighting with titans in pre-history, battles of light/dark and holy/unholy stuff. Or more references to creation myths.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:34:00 am »

quote:
although dwarves will never be able to say pwned in an unmodded game
I can't figure out why people say that intentionally, at least all the other places it used.  This quote seems to be the only place I have ever seen such a mispelling properly used.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 02:45:00 am »

The problem is though that Elbereth is the name of the elf queen and the DF dorfs have had a bit of a bad history when dealing with the leafy wankers...

Although it would be pretty funny to engrave "Elbereth" in the ground and see the goblins go "AAAIIIEEE! Run away!"

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 02:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Veroule:
<STRONG>I can't figure out why people say that intentionally, at least all the other places it used.  This quote seems to be the only place I have ever seen such a mispelling properly used.</STRONG>

Well slang is like that, you use whatever you want, however you want in order to get across what you mean. Spelling is simply a non issue.

The F-bomb is *mostly* used as a verb but some people seem to swap it for every word under the rainbow dependin on what mood they are in...

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 02:51:00 am »

You can even insert it into the middle of other words, which might be a sort of structural pun.

[ May 31, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 03:25:00 am »

Structural puns are fan-*****-tastic.

(Damn, I still can't bring myself to swear casually in public.  But the thought is there.)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 03:31:00 am »

In this context, you can think of the ***** as more of a blur censoring an obscene act.  Do your part!

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 03:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>By legend erasing, do you mean marking them as hidden again, so they'll be revealed again in adv mode?</STRONG>

yes

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 03:40:00 am »

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.  It'll be cool a long time from now when there are editors and people can construct their worlds exactly how they want them and then send them around.  I imagine all sorts of experiences/challenge games/etc. can spring from having a bunch of custom-made hist figs and locations.

[ May 31, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 03:52:00 am »

Custom made hist.figs and locations will lead to global quests and goals, which in turn would make DF and offline MMORPG, and would therefore be no bad thing. That is, if graphics get a boost as well. And language. By the way, Toady, what would be the best way to translate DF into Russian? I'd imagine DF would get a lot more popular if it allowed language packs...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 03:56:00 am »

Translating would require at least a few things I guess.  The hard-coded text would need to be not hard-coded and procedurally generated sentences would need to be stored in a way that would allow them to at least approximate other grammar systems aside from the one used by English, and the supported glyphs for text would need to be expanded.  This isn't really going to happen any time soon though.  Stuff trickles out though.  Metals just got put into the raws for instance and could ostensibly be translated now.

Exasperation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 11:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Anticheese:
<STRONG>the DF dorfs have had a bit of a bad history when dealing with the leafy wankers...
</STRONG>

You know, this is almost entirely due to players bringing that prejudice in from other fantasy worlds.  If you read the Threetoe stories, the dwarves and elves are close enough to have alliances and political marriages.  As far as the gameplay aspect goes, it's fairly easy to avoid trouble with the elves unless you're trying to start it.  By the time the elves start asking me to limit my tree-cutting, there's generally fewer trees in existence than the number they ask me to limit myself to, and I don't really need the wood for anything anymore.
Pages: [1] 2 3