Poll

Is it insulting or derogatory to call them "dorfs?"

Yes
- 31 (24.8%)
No
- 94 (75.2%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is it insulting or derogatory to call them "dorfs?"  (Read 2901 times)

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it insulting or derogatory to call them "dorfs?"
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:06:20 am »

Since my early MUD and RPG days I've tended to call Dwarves "dorfs". In EverQuest many Dwarven players found this insulting to their Dwarfhood. Is this a derogatory term?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Is it insulting or derogatory to call them "dorfs?"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:11:56 am »

I always thought the term dorfs originated in /tg/.

Anyways, no one on the forum seems to mind, as far as I've seen.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:17:00 am »

I always thought Dorf was silly intertoob slang for Dwarf and held no meaning past that.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:17:27 am »

Vester: I saw one guy have a rantpost about it beign overused, but he didn't mention it was insulting. I think the reason we don't find it insulting, however, is because we aren't dwarves, or dorfs as the case may be.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 05:21:38 am »

Heh. What are the slang terms for the other major races, though? I saw someone call humans "Umen", and almost everyone calls Goblins "Gobbos". And everyone calls elves "Poncy bastards", apparently.

Maybe people who play as Dwarves find "Dorf" racist.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:47:27 am »

Despite favoring dwarves, I tend to agree with Penny Arcade in the term dwarfs or dorfs both sound short and stocky, befitting real dwarves/dwarfs/dorfs.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:06:00 am »

Heh. What are the slang terms for the other major races, though? I saw someone call humans "Umen", and almost everyone calls Goblins "Gobbos". And everyone calls elves "Poncy bastards", apparently.

Pansy. Pansy bastards.

What is poncy>

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:24:29 am »

to be poncy or a ponce is to be stuck-up, self-centred, unreasonably posh, if that helps at all.

I don't think humans have a slang term, and the one sentien race missed earlier, the Kobolds, are either Bolds, Kobs, or Cutebolds.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 06:28:00 am »

Pansy. Pansy bastards.

What is poncy>

IWM, would you really call 'Pansy' a race of creatures that kill and eat sentient beings?

No, they're poncy.

Cutebolds I've heard, but it's too bad there isn't any slang term for humans. (The Umins thing I saw is obviously tied to the whole human = U in DF)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 07:01:04 am »

I heard some LOLcats call us "hoomin". For me, this term refers to furless, bipedal creatures just intelligent enough to provide food and petting.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 08:39:49 am »

'sup?

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 08:48:00 am »

In some SF sources humans are referred to as terrans, earthlings, smart-monkeys and other terms. Technically these are not derogatory.

Gamer communities of non role-playing games which involve humans vs. different aliens probably have their own niche slang terms for humans as 'human' is often reserved to differentiate from 'AI'/'bot'/... - computer player. The larger and more active the community the more chance of one evolving.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 10:09:12 am »

In one of the Final Fantasy games humans are referred to as Humes, which seems the sort of thing dwarves would call us.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 10:10:49 am »

"Hummies" is a term I see a fair bit, I think it might be Judge dread inspired.

I never call them Dorfs, because Dwarves are a proud and noble race, and dorf seems a bit...lower class...

Elves are ALWAYS poncy bastards or something in that vein. Sometimes "frenchie" is used for elves, because they have the same social characteristics.

I call kobolds Kurush sometimes because their symbol is K, and he had a silly phrase about ladies being K-rushed by him, so I always make that link in my mind...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 10:18:13 am »

*coughmynamecough*

No, I always thought of dorf as more of a cute nickname for them...like a little kid might call his mom "mommy".
Pages: [1] 2 3