Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can ponds be used as aquariums?  (Read 599 times)

deathc4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can ponds be used as aquariums?
« on: August 26, 2009, 04:14:46 am »

I ask because I have a pond that I want filled with fish. However since I do not have any sand in which to make glass (ergo no aquarium); I was wondering if the fact my dwarfs are not capturing live fish is because it they do not see the pond as an aquarium.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Can ponds be used as aquariums?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:26:22 am »

No ponds cannot be used as aquariums.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:19:26 am »

I assume one can, if they do have some, pit non-vermin fish, though, so it's probably possible to have a non-aquarium aquarium, if you follow me. Not sure if you'll be able to do it, though, as I'm unsure as to whether fish will survive in a wooden cage (if trapped in a cage trap)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:26:05 am »

Can aquariums/terrariums be used in cage traps?

I have a theory - if fish enter channels, then it should be quite possible to channel off a section unlinked to the brook or river where the fish you want to aquariumize are, and line it with glass cage traps. You could use a flood gate at the junction of river and channel, of course, and there would have to be a drainage system. The flood gate opens, water and fish enter the channel, fish get trapped. You drain the channel to allow dwarves to get to the cage traps, and voila! Fish you can pit.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:28:20 am by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."