Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Engraving constructed walls!  (Read 984 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Engraving constructed walls!
« on: August 26, 2009, 01:30:34 am »

Yes, I just did it. By accident. :D

I had designated some areas of natural stone to be smoothed. Then I became impatient and just had my miners carve ramps out from under this area to be smoothed to just do away with all of the natural stone. Curiously, the smooth designation remained floating in the air, even though the stone had long since been carved away.

I then build constructed walls where the ramps had been carved. This would mean that the top of the constructed wall coincided exactly where the smooth stone designation was originally put.

Then my legendary engraver ran over....

...and engraved a masterwork image of a dwarf and cheese on the obsidian block floor!

:D

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Engraving constructed walls!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:26:50 am »

So he engraved the floor not the wall?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:07:02 am »

Wow.

Can you reproduce it? Because this may well be a breakthrough in decorating technology.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:38:48 am »

Its reproducible, but too cumbersome to be useful.

You have to designate natural stone floors to be smoothed. But then without smoothing them, you need to remove the Z level below this by carving it into ramps. The designation is still floating in the air.

Then construct walls on the Z level where the ramps are. A constructed wall will produce a floor on the Z level above it, and then an engraver will engrave this floor new.

However, the engraving will read that its an engraving on a wall, not a floor. Only the top of the wall (which was a floor) was engraved and there was no engraving on any wall as ordinarily understood as a well. But it was still engraved.

When I get time I'll poke over this some more, and try it out with other substances. I was able to do this with obsidian blocks, but I'll also try out metal or wood.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 11:21:09 am »

Yeah, the main use I see for this is to do ridiculous things to room value by making engraved soap floors.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:02:24 pm »

When I get time I'll poke over this some more, and try it out with other substances. I was able to do this with obsidian blocks, but I'll also try out metal or wood.
Please keep us updated! That's so awesome. ;D
Two other questions:
Does it work with built rough stone walls?
Does it add to the room value of the room with the engraved floor, to the room with the wall in it, to both or to none?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 08:15:43 pm »

It acts just like an ordinary engraving, so it multiplies the value of the material of the floor by some amount, depending on the quality of the engraving.

But this is too cumbersome to really be exploited.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:06:01 am »

If you are going to go to these kind of lengths, you might as well just use a utility to designate whatever you want for engraving. It's not like it goes against the spirit of the game or anything. I just finished listening to one of Toady's interviews where he mentions that he doesn't object to the idea of engraving constructions, he just wants to work out what such a thing would look like in his mind before implementing it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 07:37:15 am »

You can already carve fortifications into constructed walls, and from this bug, I'm guessing that there are a few states for walls/floors.

1. Rough/natural
2. Smoothed
3. Engraved
4. Fortification

I'm guessing constructed walls count as level 2, but this bug accidentially allowed the wall to be bumped up to a level 3, whereas normally you cannot do this. Though jumping to fortifications is allowed.

I think allowing constructed walls to be engraved would be a relatively simple change in terms of coding adjustments. Its already possible, just need to make the designation work.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 02:04:39 pm »

I just got something like this, except that it happened on a spot which had been channeled over long before I smoothed the area. I was constructing some walls to fill in a murky pool which has been empty for years and suddendly a engraving appeared in what was origionally open space when I did the smoothing. I tried to get rid of it by putting a floor down or a wall on top of it, but the engraving appeared on the constructed wall or floor. As it is, it's on what should be the top of the wall.

The thing though, is that the engraving says it was done by a dwarf which I had made one of my two engravers and he came LONG after the area was smoothed. I'm not sure if it appeared because he built that wall section.

Still, somehow I replicated the very same bug, but I had smoothed AFTER it was channeled over.

Also, when I remove the wall beneath, the engraving stays there in midair. I have Maydays graphics mod D11