Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Social skills separate?  (Read 1874 times)

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Social skills separate?
« on: February 24, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »

I don't know if I'm just missing some kind of insider understanding of the UI, but I seem to be having newly learned skills obscured by the multitudes of social skills that all dwarves are acquiring now. Would it be possible to put the social skills such as Flatterer and Pacifier in some kind of subset or in a different menu somewhere so that the actively trained skills like masonry and marksmen to be displayed more readily... possibly divide auto-acquired skills with manually acquired skills into separate sections?

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Social skills separate?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

hear hear.
Social skills make it much more difficult to see what a dwarf is skilled in at a glance.  They clutter up the screen with useless info - social skills are largely irrelevant to the running of a fortress.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

Seconded.

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

I was thinking the same thing. What ^ they said.
Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

Wow using the search button actually turned something up.

Any how was gunna make a post about this but ill post here instead. I thought they should probably be shown in the relationship section, also all dwarves should start with a few are we to beleive outside our fortress all dwarves live in total isolation communicating only through pointing and grunting?

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

I like this...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

Actually, I'd rather you did just the opposite. As far as I can tell, as the social skills are always trained at the same time. Why not just make "socializing" a skill? Flatterer Consoler Persauder etc... I've never seen a legendary flatterer, and I wonder how he'd be different from anything else.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by shadow_archmagi:
<STRONG>Actually, I'd rather you did just the opposite. As far as I can tell, as the social skills are always trained at the same time. Why not just make "socializing" a skill? Flatterer Consoler Persauder etc... I've never seen a legendary flatterer, and I wonder how he'd be different from anything else.</STRONG>

I'd still like to see them separated from attributes.  My 40 idlers are more legendary than my miners.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

I'd still like to see them separated from attributes.  My 40 idlers are more legendary than my miners.</STRONG>

Just how long have they been idling? I don't have a single dwarf other than my trader who has above dabbling.

invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

It would be better if the skill list put higher level skills at the top, and dabbling or novice things down at the bottom. So, in order of ability. That would give a much better idea of what a certain dwarf is good at and what their profession should be.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:20:17 pm by penguinofhonor »

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

Perhaps separate lists for craft, combat, and social skills.
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DDouble:
<STRONG>It would be better if the skill list put higher level skills at the top, and dabbling or novice things down at the bottom. So, in order of ability. That would give a much better idea of what a certain dwarf is good at and what their profession should be.</STRONG>

I'd like to second this idea.  Skills are gonna be revamped and tweaked all the time, so no real point trying to make seperate categories etc...

Just sorting them highest rank to low would appeal to my sensibilites and keep the clutter at the bottom and remain useful even after socials get tweaked.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by shadow_archmagi:
<STRONG>Just how long have they been idling? I don't have a single dwarf other than my trader who has above dabbling.</STRONG>

Eight years.  None of them are actually legendary (except the early nobles), but they all have legendary attributes.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 03:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RyanW:
<STRONG>Perhaps separate lists for craft, combat, and social skills.</STRONG>

Thing is this: EVERY dwarf has or gets the social skills.  Every one of them.  And they get in the way of seeing everything else.  Craft and military skills you often want to see together, and it's rare that a dwarf has lots of both anyway.

I see a separation of social skills from the rest as necessary, and separation of craft and combat skills as... less important.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster
Pages: [1] 2