Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: List of non-feature dwarven constructions  (Read 544 times)

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
List of non-feature dwarven constructions
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:47:53 pm »

So I'm designating space in my fortress for everything I want to include.  Have a very nice stockpile/workshop space set up, nice and compact and laid out in a way that all my dwarves will get their work done quickly and efficiently.  Got my rooms laid out, got the dining hall and Magma ch... I mean... Nobles rooms all settled down.

But now I'm looking at the rest of this space and thinking... I want to build MORE!   But what?  I don't know.

I don't have a magma vent or river.  Just a magma pool and some standing water up top.  So I want to avoid using those in the design of my entertainment.  What Dwarven things should I construct?

I've been going over designs for a zoo space, and I think I have a nice arena-like thing designed (more of a pit that you'd expect dogs to be chucked into.)  but I feel like I need more.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: List of non-feature dwarven constructions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:01:52 pm »

A spherical dome, the radius depending on the amount of Z-levels of rock you have, which is completely masterfully engraved (Savescum. A lot.) to serve as the tomb of your king/favourite Dwarf. Or as burial ground for the commoners, seeing the maximum size for a room is 31 by 31, which corresponds to 15 or 16 levels of rock. (Depending on how you calculate it.) In the middle, you have a masterpiece Platinum/Aluminium coffin.

The top may be replaced with an air vent to the surface, which may be topped off with a (masterpiece, of course) retractable bridge to drop nasties off. This is optional.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:17:15 pm »

31x31? Cheers. I didn't know max room size but it's really important, and now that you've told me I can skip away in the happy knowledge that my bedroom will fill all the space.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 06:24:17 pm »

31x31? Cheers. I didn't know max room size but it's really important, and now that you've told me I can skip away in the happy knowledge that my bedroom will fill all the space.

I could be wrong, but I think it's so.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 06:26:38 pm »

Well, if you're wrong then my fort will crumble to its end and I'll have to hunt you down with an axe.

Actually, I might do that anyway...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.