Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Vista Hell <Solved, My Mistake>  (Read 6139 times)

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
Re: Vista Hell
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 07:19:32 pm »

Yeah, vista sucks. REALLY HARD. But then, that's microsoft for you. I have never strayed from my Mac upbringing and I'm glad. :D

You fail pretty hard.

Anywho, I'm on Vista 64 Bit and I run it just fine.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 07:43:21 pm »

Yeah, vista sucks. REALLY HARD. But then, that's microsoft for you. I have never strayed from my Mac upbringing and I'm glad. :D
That much is obvious.

Protip 1: DO NOT JUDGE AN OS IF YOU HAVE NEVER TOUCHED IT.
Protip 2: DO NOT JUDGE AN OS TODAY BASED ON WHAT IT WAS TWO YEARS AGO.

Whatever the problem is, it has NOTHING to do with Vista.
You guys are kidding about Vista being a-ok, right? I got to a point where it would blue-screen every fifteen minutes, and I eventually figured out the reason was because by default IPv6 is on, and if there was another Vista computer on the network, it would freak out and shut itself off. True story.
Sounds more like IPv6 packets being sent to the router, not getting through (because router didn't support v6, maybe?) and returning an error packet that Vista didn't recognize.  Routers are funny like that.
Caps for emphasis, not anger

Protip 3: DO NOT MENTION OPERATING SYSTEMS.  EVER.  It only ever leads to fanboy wars and there's always ignorant fanboys.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:45:20 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 07:52:03 pm »

My only gripe about vista is that it won't run KOTOR 1.

boo hoo
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 07:57:05 pm »

That much is obvious.

Ok, sorry, to revise my previous statement:

I've never bought any microsoft product, but because of the fact that my college uses PCs and my lady has a laptop that runs Vista (that I was forced to use because my mac was AWOL) I have had a fair amount of experience of Microsoft failing over and over.

/derail
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 08:01:13 pm »

I only skimmed through the thread, but I think the problem is that you're using 40d14, which is quite buggy.
Also, if this is the case, see here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40349.0
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 08:06:23 pm »

ME sucked balls. I once got a crash where instead of blue screening, everything went black with a dot grid pattern.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 08:07:35 pm »

One time ME just failed to load the desktop out of the blue when it started up, so I was just staring at the wallpaper. Couldn't access anything so I just had to format.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 08:31:53 pm »

Nowadays all vista issues seem to be product of creatures between the keyboard and chair. Once these are removed vista is fantastic.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 09:17:13 pm »

That much is obvious.

Ok, sorry, to revise my previous statement:

I've never bought any microsoft product, but because of the fact that my college uses PCs and my lady has a laptop that runs Vista (that I was forced to use because my mac was AWOL) I have had a fair amount of experience of Microsoft failing over and over.

/derail
There's your problem.

Colleges don't give much crap to the performance value of things, unless it's minimum requirement (to fit within a budget, and to minimize student complaints), plus those things are absolutely riddled with security stuff anyhow, which drain resources like Shaggy and Scooby-Doo through a buffet; and second, laptops don't run well with Vista. I didn't think ahead when I got one for somebody, and I still get calls on how to fix it.

I'll agree, Vista has it's levels of suck, but that's if you have inadequate power and know-how behind it, otherwise, with a bit of tweaking; you've got one hell of a machine. Lifehacker helps.

Example: I can run a 6x6-8x8 DF map (Bloodfist (my current map) is 8x8 BTW)  and I have yet a hiccup. Even some of my more potent maps on such sizes have yet to go screwy.

And before accusations are tossed, I have used a mac (At the time, OSX Tiger) for a whole year or so, due to the fact my past PC was crap, and I needed something compatible through college. But I was fortunately able to afford the monster I use nowadays before the economy went down the tubes.

You can't beat a desktop. They're plenty portable, provided you know how to transport it without damage, and not use as many trinkets (IE- Webcams, Surround Sound, etc.). Those tend to drain resources as well. And if you habitually optimize your computer once in awhile, and not have so many extensions on at the same time or on startup, it should run like a dream.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 09:22:06 pm »

Nowadays all vista issues seem to be product of creatures between the keyboard and chair. Once these are removed vista is fantastic.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/itdepartment/6692/

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 12:02:17 am »

Colleges don't give much crap to the performance value of things
]

Case in point: My college had Macs. With viruses. My Digital Art and design class brings back fond memories and laughter every time I hear someone talk about Macs being virus proof. Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 12:11:52 am »

Colleges don't give much crap to the performance value of things
]

Case in point: My college had Macs. With viruses. My Digital Art and design class brings back fond memories and laughter every time I hear someone talk about Macs being virus proof. Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Agreed. "Virus-free" Macs.

Simple phrase that explains the situation best:
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Just because it's not reported by the OS, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I don't think we have Schrodinger-class (the true S-class) viruses yet; but then again, do we really?

Okay, now my eyes are looking at opposite ends of my screen. I'll probably turn in for the night.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 12:45:42 am »

I'd best advise you try the default .40d if you haven't and see what happens if you don't even touch the init.  If it doesn't work from there then we can try different approaches.

dan_s28

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Vista Hell <Solved, My Mistake>
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 04:11:38 am »

First, let me apologize for wasting your time. I should have started with a fresh install. The folder was off my machine, a WinXP machine. The version btw is the lastest stable 40d.  I did modify the resolution in mine, interesting the default is what worked and not mine. 

Thanks for such a helpful response.

-D

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 04:15:03 pm »

you evil douchebag, microsoft only does it because it want's people to both depend on their software, but have the users document it... YES MICROSOFT ENCOURAGES SELF RELIANCE
Pages: 1 [2] 3