Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vista Hell <Solved, My Mistake>  (Read 6136 times)

dan_s28

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Vista Hell <Solved, My Mistake>
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:40:32 pm »

I have just tried to help a friend get DF running on a brand new HP Laptop running Vista.

He has plenty of ram, dual-core CPU etc etc, of course.
We turned off UAC. We run the app as an administrator. I have
tried the different compatibility modes, 98 and 2000 with no luck.

It starts, and you can hear sound but the window is black, then you see a red horizontal bar, like some of the graphics are trying to show. I did try to change the resolution of the game in the ini file, to 800x600 - which had no effect.

We also updated the driver to the latest from NVidia.
So I don't know what else to try to help him see DF.

Vista sucks :)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:06:16 am by dan_s28 »

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vista Hell
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 01:49:37 pm »

I have just tried to help a friend get DF running on a brand new HP Laptop running Vista.

It starts, and you can hear sound but the window is black, then you see a red horizontal bar, like some of the graphics are trying to show. I did try to change the resolution of the game in the ini file, to 800x600 - which had no effect.

Gonna run down a list of helpful clarifications:
What version of DF is it?
Did you get the "latest nvidia drivers" from nvidia.com, or from windows update? shouldn't matter, but could.
have you tried rebooting?
what is the resolution of his screen?
can you post the full init.txt file?
What folder is DF in? Full path, please.

By the way, compared to all commercial OSes on the market, Vista rocks. 7 will, of course, blow it out of the water.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:53:45 pm »

Have you changed anything in the display-related ini settings (partial print, mono-buffering etc.) ?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 01:54:20 pm »

Yeah, vista sucks. REALLY HARD. But then, that's microsoft for you. I have never strayed from my Mac upbringing and I'm glad. :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 02:00:14 pm »

It makes me sad that this is turning into a windows vs mac thread from such vague issues.

If you're have [GRAPHICS:YES] in init, check the individual images. Some versions of DF support .bmp and some support .png

If your version supports .bmp (40d I believe), make sure they're 24-bit .bmps. Most programs save as 16-bit by default. Paint can save it in 24-bit.

If your version supports .png but not .bmp (not possible, I think), convert all the .bmp files to .png.

make sure the graphics text tile in the raw/graphics section is correct

If you're running on .txt and getting this problem, you might have messed up something in the init. It's best that you redownload DF.

Oh, make sure you don't have [GRAPHICS:YES] and [INTRO:ON] at the same time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:02:54 pm by blah28722 »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:06:02 pm »

Speaking of incompatible Microsoft products, has anyone tested DF on the Windows Seven beta releases?
!!&!!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 02:08:31 pm »

Gonna run down a list of helpful clarifications:
What version of DF is it?
Did you get the "latest nvidia drivers" from nvidia.com, or from windows update? shouldn't matter, but could.
have you tried rebooting?
what is the resolution of his screen?
can you post the full init.txt file?
What folder is DF in? Full path, please.

By the way, compared to all commercial OSes on the market, Vista rocks. 7 will, of course, blow it out of the water.
I'm going all-in on this one; you're using the Vista x64.
Vista x32, probably the one OP is having problems with is the work of the devil.

I'm currently using an RC version of 7, and holee shiite it's fast, I can reboot my computer and have it up and running again in working condition in 1 minute 20 seconds.

And it seems to use system resources pretty well, then again, I got 8GB ram so if it ate half of them I still wouldn't notice >.>

Erm, yeah, slightly off-topic, I just get nervous ticks whenever anyone praise Vista.
By Armok I've had troubles with it.... "Are you sure you're sure that you're sure about this?" haunts my dreams...
and don't get me started on trying to change into a non-official theme for it, that was... horrible...
Speaking of incompatible Microsoft products, has anyone tested DF on the Windows Seven beta releases?
Yes I'm using it, and works fine, except some stuttering now and then with some fullscreen games, including DF and Empire Earth II.
The windows will maximise then minimize :s
Is fixed with a -fs command attached though.

Same framerate as with my XP.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 02:11:20 pm »

No one really knows hell unless you've used Windows ME.

Bunch of babies. :'(

;)

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 02:17:57 pm »

Quote from: Danarca
I'm going all-in on this one; you're using the Vista x64.
### *Bzzzzzt*. That's the sound of the "wrong!" buzzer
Vista x32, probably the one OP is having problems with is the work of the devil.
### *Ding-ding-ding*, I've got Vista x32 home premium. And it's great.
I'm currently using an RC version of 7, and holee shiite it's fast, I can reboot my computer and have it up and running again in working condition in 1 minute 20 seconds.
### I wouldn't argue a bit with the contention that 7 blows Vista out of the water. My contention is that Vista > XP/OSX
And it seems to use system resources pretty well, then again, I got 8GB ram so if it ate half of them I still wouldn't notice >.>
### Agreed
Erm, yeah, slightly off-topic, I just get nervous ticks whenever anyone praise Vista.
By Armok I've had troubles with it.... "Are you sure you're sure that you're sure about this?" haunts my dreams...
and don't get me started on trying to change into a non-official theme for it, that was... horrible...
### Looked up a tutorial to do that; looks a bit painful (editing permissions of a folder, just what I do for fun!), but eh, couldn't take more than 5 minutes. Myself, I'm a loyal follower of the Windows classic theme, so it's not a problem (for me, of course).
Yes I'm using it, and works fine, except some stuttering now and then with some fullscreen games, including DF and Empire Earth II.
The windows will maximise then minimize :s
Is fixed with a -fs command attached though.

Same framerate as with my XP.
And yeah, ME blew chunks.
Anyway, that was off-topic.

OP, the suggestion of redownloading DF is probably one of the best ones yet.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 02:21:53 pm »

No one really knows hell unless you've used Windows ME.

Bunch of babies. :'(

;)
Absolute definition of Hell.

Windows ME on a laptop.

More crashes than you can witness in a NASCAR race; or a newbie playing Grand Theft Auto or Gran Turismo for the very first time. Ugh.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:23:35 pm by Itnetlolor »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 04:22:46 pm »

I've never really understood why everyone hates Vista, most of the problems I've had of it (such as that goddamn User Account Control thing) I was able to fix within five minutes, and I've only encountered a single compatibility issue (not counting compatibility issues due to a lack of decent hardware, as I'm on a laptop).

Dwarf Fortress works perfectly on it (32, no service pack), too, of course. Not sure what the problem is here, sorry to get off-topic but I just had to vent a little steam there.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:25:42 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 04:31:14 pm »

Yeah, that's be a hardware issue, I think, because I'm running Vista and DF works fine for me.  Maybe see if updating your opengl drivers helps?
You have struck Microcline!

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 05:26:46 pm »

DF runs fine here on Vista Business SP2, Windows 7 RC, and Windows 7 Professional, all 64-bit, running the latest drivers for my Nvidia 9800. Not sure what problem you could be having, but let's not play the "Blame Vista" game.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 05:42:18 pm »

You guys are kidding about Vista being a-ok, right? I got to a point where it would blue-screen every fifteen minutes, and I eventually figured out the reason was because by default IPv6 is on, and if there was another Vista computer on the network, it would freak out and shut itself off. True story.
!!&!!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 05:49:17 pm »

I only skimmed through the thread, but I think the problem is that you're using 40d14, which is quite buggy.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: [1] 2 3