Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One of my dwarves turned into a cat.  (Read 855 times)

Akhiloth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
One of my dwarves turned into a cat.
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:51:57 am »

I'm serious.
I was in a really bad situation and I was about to losehave fun, dwarves were going insane and that stuff, when a message popped up saying "(Dwarf Name) has become a stray cat." like it was a profession change.
Maybe he just went insane and started thinking he's a cat but still. WTF?

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One of my dwarves turned into a cat.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:56:35 am »

Cats get dwarf names when they're pets. Unless you're sure it was a dwarf before the change, I think that it was just a pet kitten growing up.

sorry :(

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:00:29 am »

That's... odd.

Are you sure it was a dwarf, and not a named stray kitten growing up?

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 11:02:53 am »

well that's why you're freefalling into the pit of everlasting fun, you're allowing kittens to adopt!  :o

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:44:12 pm »

If it went from dwarf name to stray cat, then I would suspect the owner got killed.  Growing a kitten into a cat would not make it stray...

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 12:59:45 pm »

If it went from dwarf name to stray cat, then I would suspect the owner got killed.  Growing a kitten into a cat would not make it stray...

Actually, when any animal goes from being in a  *young* state to an *adult* state you get the message 'XXX has turned into a stray [insert animal name here]'.  So what I think has happend here is a kitten managed to get a name from murdering a few rats or something then when it became an adult, viola, you get the message 'Urist McNamedkitten has turned into a stray cat!'

Just my .02 dorfbucks on the matter.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 01:06:40 pm »

I thought there was a minor bug in the game where "once a pet, always a pet" - the animal wouldn't become stray if the owner died.  Unless becoming mature resets that label.

I don't think animals can get "named" from killing vermin.  They don't show up on the "kill" record.  (But the combat system has a huge randomizing factor in it - it's mathematically possible for a kitten to kill a dragon, so...)

But, gawdz, it's DF, who knows?!  :P

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 01:53:03 pm »

Assigned pets (hunting and war dogs in the base game) can't be reassigned, even if their owners die. If I recall correctly, however, adopted pets become stray when their owners bite the dust.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 02:03:52 pm »

Well, question answered- it was a named kitten growing up. If you have regular sieges, it could happen.

At any rate, dwarves do not turn into cats, EVER. Well, not until the magic arc.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei