Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with artifacts?  (Read 1172 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
What to do with artifacts?
« on: August 25, 2009, 02:37:47 am »

I just started a new fort and so far my only artifacts are a floodgate a mechanism, any ideas what to do with them? (also if i use an artifact mechanism to build a lever, is it still valuable or named?)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:49:28 am »

I like to build a vault to keep them in and guard it well. It does depend though as they can be worth more if it's possible to display them.

edit to add: using artifacts to build things is one of the best ways to get value out of them, if you place that lever in the meeting room dwarves will get a happy thought from seeing it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 02:53:39 am »

You don't have to do anything with artefacts, for a start.
But hey, you got yourself a nice combination to make a noble die really happy  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and don't worry. If you deconstruct that lever / floodgate, your artefacts won't be harmed, and can be re-used
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:47:17 am »

Artifact furniture I use to build things either in the dining hall or noble rooms.

Artifact finished goods I just create a special stockpile for in the dining hall and display.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:18:49 am »

You could actually put both of those in the same tile, which is very nice.  Depending on what they're made out of, you might be able to take care of multiple overlapping, high-quality rooms.

First you construct the floodgate in its final place.
Then you build a lever somewhere, anywhere, with a cheap mechanism.
Then you link that lever to the floodgate.
You pick a cheap mechanism for the lever.
You choose the artifact mechanism for the floodgate.
You deconstruct the lever.

Two artifacts worth of furniture in one tile!
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:24:18 am »

P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:51:40 am »

What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:05:57 am »

The mechanism and floodgate would both need to be magma-proof, however. Iron, steel, nickel, bauxite, or adamantine, iirc.

And what is it with this forum and spoiler tags? Are they addictive? Did Toady lace them with ☼web-crack☼?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 11:19:54 am »

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 11:20:53 am »

build that floodgate in the dining room, then build a lever out of that mechanism next to it. instant immunity from sadness spiral, so long as your dining room is a meeting hall (or better yet, a 1x1 meeting zone next to the constructions, then you have legendary social skills on all your dwarves for even better bad thought buffering).

once you start getting artifact weapons you cant ever equip (bows, whips, etc) deconstruct the artifact lever and use the mechanism for a weapon trap containing all your impossible-to-use weapons. if you keep it loaded, it might take out whatever injured cats and dogs that are attracted to the meeting zone and shower a couple people with some blood.

in all, unless its a piece of equippable armor/weapon, you could put it toward 1) making your nobles happy or 2) making your dining room awesome, for best results.

or use it symbolically, like making the artifact mechanism a lever that ends the world (fun for adventure mode)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 12:00:28 pm »

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll go with martinuzz's plan, this fortress has an astonishing lack of deathtraps (though they are both granite decorated with granite, so magma is out of the question).
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 12:32:17 pm »

Remember the quality of a mechanism affects the damage a trap does. If you ever get an artifact adamantine serrated disk, you know what to do  ;)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 01:09:33 pm »

Remember the quality of a mechanism affects the damage a trap does.

Not the way it's commonly understood, no.

The quality of a mechanism in a weapons trap affects the chance to hit for whatever weapons you've put in that trap - the quality (and material) of the weapons in that trap affect the damage they do.  No diff for stone traps.

But, if you have 10 weapons in a weapons trap, improving the odds that each hits does, indirectly, increase the damage that trap does.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 01:27:29 pm »

My bad. I thought it was either damage or chance to hit and I guessed wrong. But I was still technically right. Whats the chance of getting 10 artifact adamantine serrated disks?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 01:42:23 pm »

Pretty low, I'm sure, unless you're up to date on your mood manipulation- but I think that'd only get you narrowed down to "any adamantine weapon".
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: [1] 2