Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: FORUM MEGAPROJECT: Rendering Planepacked  (Read 26186 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: FORUM MEGAPROJECT: Rendering Planepacked
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2011, 12:16:32 am »

Wow. 2 of my old threads have been necro'd now.

Are we still going to work on this? We have very little done. The primary issue being what it, itself, looks like. After that, it would easily take care of a majority of the progress.

I mean, recursions aside, what does it (sans bump maps/engravings and textures) look like? That's probably what killed the project.

At least I have a new Blender project to work on, since I built up a little more skill. I can at least try to make my MSPaint rendering in 3D.

UPDATE:
Post 3 has been updated. Let's just consider all recursions as part of the victim/volunteer to compose a model for Cell 1 and onward (IE- the statue itself). Any more volunteers, just worry about the images involved, and I'll assign a different color to completed, except references, cells. I suppose a green-yellow color or darker green or something.

Oh yeah, and Cell 1 is an open invite, and we'll vote for whoever's best represents the artifact.

As for the basic rule for the artifact, just tell us where the engravings might be placed, don't push yourself too hard on texturing or bump-mapping/engraving it. We just need the basics.

Color code it if necessary if anyone's going to do a more refined rendering of it. Art skill doesn't matter too much, until it's time to refine or finalize it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:44:49 am by Itnetlolor »

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2011, 02:01:01 am »

I'm going to need to take a bit of time to read everything here, but I'd love to work on part of this.
I only know a bit of photoshop and MS paint though, so I'm not going to be able to do any epic 3d renderings or anything.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2011, 02:26:24 am »

Well, have fun, and don't worry. I already broke things down into a more readable, and for my/our sake, easier to track format. Compared to the mess it used to be. I also have an Excel spreadsheet that helps keep the progress in check.

I can try to find some time to refine it a little further as to cut down on the clutter, or at least show how many instances of recursion there are.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2011, 12:53:36 pm »

... crap, I finished the model years ago, when this thread was still active, but it doesn't look like I ever uploaded it. Since I'm much busier these days than I were back then I'll just upload the model so someone else can use it.

Or at least, I will once I know what file formats might work, and if it should be with or without the recursions. (Leaning towards without since the recursions are best done by copy pasting the whole model once it's entirely finished and bumpmapped, then shrinking and moving the copies into position, but if the person on the receiving end doesn't know how to do that they should be included. )

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2011, 01:41:34 pm »

Holy crap. I forgot how pretty that thing looked. A simple solution for recursions can just be taking a picture of it flat on it's side (or side-view) and use the grayscale of that perspective as a bump map alpha layer we can place (sort of like a relief engraving/carving). The only real challenge left in that regard is someone experienced enough in 3-D texturing/texture-mapping to get everything (materials, bump maps, and anything else) applied onto the model (of course, with the model-maker's notes on what's what, and where to apply certain materials and etc.; you know, for accuracy between modeler and texturer).

I like that model best so far.

If you don't mind, what program did you use to make it, and how big is the file? I'd like to check it out myself.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:53:38 am by Itnetlolor »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2011, 08:17:42 am »

That looks like a dwarven Ark of the Covenant. Now I really wish artifacts had powers. I want to see some dwarves haul Planepacked out in front of a sieging goblin army, lift the lid, and watch the gobbos' faces melt off.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2011, 03:47:45 pm »

I used Autodesk Maya 2008, so reading the file might be a bit of a problem. I might be able to convert it to .obj or something thou.

I think the method I used for the recursions look much cooler than just 2d engravings, and they are actually really easy to make: just copy the entire model and scale it down. You can see 5 recursions there in spots I think are good for the purpose.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2011, 05:40:20 pm »

Blender supports this wierd duplication thing, where instead of copy and pasting a model, you create a kind of reference to it and it renders it there, so it might be good for rendering the whole recursion thing.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2011, 06:37:47 am »

Instancing? Yea, Maya supports it to, and now that you say it yea that'd obviously have been a better method, I just didn't think about it when I made the model for some reason.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2011, 08:36:39 am »

Yes! Continue the project!

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2011, 12:35:10 am »

Continue it or face the wrath of ARMOK! SO SAYS HE!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2011, 11:43:17 am »

bunp
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2011, 12:33:46 am »

Frankly, I need a 3d model of this thing so I can assemble a physical copy someday and stick it in a place of honor. That thing is awesome.
Signature goes here.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2011, 08:48:33 am »

Somone totaly need to feed this to a 3d printer.

I'm STILL waiting for someone to tell me what format to use, what things to include, etc. so I can upload it.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2011, 07:39:30 pm »

Yes, a 3D printout would be epic. Would make a decent decoration or paperweight, depending on printout size.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7