Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Percentage based [TRAPAVOID]  (Read 3003 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Percentage based [TRAPAVOID]
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 08:52:59 pm »

I think we should be able to link certain traps to triggers, though.  It just seems silly that a goblin has to step on a crossbow trap to trigger it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 11:17:30 pm »

I think we should be able to link certain traps to triggers, though.  It just seems silly that a goblin has to step on a crossbow trap to trigger it.

You're thinking something like a lever or pressure plate that triggers a bank of crossbows (or fires a ballista) down a hallway?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 11:40:06 pm »

That would actually be pretty cool.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 11:55:23 pm »

I think the quality in the trap should definitely play a role in how easy it is to avoid as well.

Triggers if (Size+Quality) - (Agility + Chance) > 0
sounds pretty good to me.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 07:43:28 am »

I think the quality in the trap should definitely play a role in how easy it is to avoid as well.

That just expands the definition of trap immune, unless you meant that chance is a random number. Most players want something such that Kobolds, for example, will usually duck through traps but occasionally set one off, while larger creatures (say, the orc mod) will be hit by them some of the time but not enough to be a reliable defense.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 08:28:45 am »

How about

Triggers if (Size>6 + Quality) - (Size<6 + Agility) > 0
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 09:39:30 am »

You would need to add a status to each trap much in the same way as the seige engines in that case. [Keep loaded][don't reload] etc to ensure the dwarf doesn't run out to reset the trap like the rush for goblin sneekers

An orders menu item would be much better

Seraph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 11:36:30 am »

You would need to add a status to each trap much in the same way as the seige engines in that case. [Keep loaded][don't reload] etc to ensure the dwarf doesn't run out to reset the trap like the rush for goblin sneekers
Why couldn't you just forbid the traps you don't want reloaded?

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 11:54:02 am »

How about

Triggers if (Size>6 + Quality) - (Size<6 + Agility) > 0

I'm not certain that will do what you're looking for, but perhaps the > and + operators aren't being used like I'm accustomed to.

I'm thinking: TrapTrigger if ( (Size > MinimumTrapSize) && ((Quality - ( (Size - MinimumTrapSize) + Agility) ) > 0 ){
Some percentage roll here, maybe some base percentage (90% = vanilla,  20% = challenge mod?) minus agility;
}

That should only trigger the trap if something large enough for the design walks through. (like with pressure plates) The larger the creature is over the minimum size and the higher the quality of the trap the more likely they are to risk setting it off, and the better their agility the less likely they are to set it off; and if they set it off there's a percentage roll to see if they get struck, modified down by their agility.

Thoughts?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 11:57:26 am »

I hate maths, so mine made way more sense to me...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 12:01:16 pm »

My opinion on traps power - rather than making them larger, make them spring loaded. A trap will fire once, then need to be rewound by a dwarf. When it fires, regardless of whether it hits or not, it's out of commission. So it would be possible for the dwarves to defend themselves with nothing but traps, but it would take much more effort than it does now and you'd lose the benefit of having a mobile army to protect trade caravans or wandering dwarves.

Of course, stonefall traps already work like this, so it should be relatively easy to implement if Toady were to decide that it would be a nice feature.  I also like the idea of being able to direct power to weapon traps to avoid having to reload them.  Imagine an insanely complex network of axles and waterwheels powering an intricate hallway of death.   :D

Thinking further on this, you could do a lot by making ballistas accept lever and pressure plate connections.  They'd need to be reloaded manually of course, but it would be very cool.

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 12:02:56 pm »

I hate maths, so mine made way more sense to me...

I'm sorry :(  Dense computation code is a pain to parse, I know.  I wish there were a better way to convey it, but my English version after the code is the best I can do.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 12:05:17 pm »

What you were suggesting seems to be the same as what I suggested except assuming that different traps will have different min  and max sizes.

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 01:04:59 pm »

What you were suggesting seems to be the same as what I suggested except assuming that different traps will have different min  and max sizes.

OK, good.  That's how it was supposed to be.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 01:32:18 pm »

Cool. As long as Toady (armok be with him) understands it, wonderful :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3