Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water will not freeze if constructions are designated over it  (Read 465 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Water will not freeze if constructions are designated over it
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:54:14 pm »

I collapsed a frozen pond down a couple of z-levels and immediately assigned a floor to be built over it; the water remained liquid. A few months later I realized that my mason was busy doing other stuff and unassigned the ordered floors, which still hadn't been built. The water instantly froze into solid ice walls. I know there are issues with ice behavior, but this one is new to me. Water probably should not be aware that constructions have been ordered on top of it.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
Re: Water will not freeze if constructions are designated over it
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:59:43 pm »

the game is probably thinking that since you plan on roofing the area it thought it was indoors.  Like when you designate a door to be built then make a room so that it doesn't spill over into the hall :)
Back to Mafia with me!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:49:43 pm »

There's a few areas like this where simply designating something has actual changes in the world. For example, using stockpiles as firebreaks or fake roads (since trees won't grow on them, last I checked).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:03:30 pm »

As firebreaks? Bugger, all that diorite gone to waste making floors.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:38:58 am »

Fairly sure that stockpiles won't act as firebreaks. I've tried it, not only did it not work, but I've seen fires go through my wood stockpiles too, which sucks on multiple levels.

However, I think designated non-wood buildings and any construction will stop them. Could be wrong though.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325