Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Dark Heresy - Session 4: Nurgle, mutation, and BLAM  (Read 35249 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Dark Heresy - Session 4: Nurgle, mutation, and BLAM
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:40:35 pm »

So the Heroes of Furytactics thread had some discussion of Dark Heresy, but it couldn't stay afloat, so I decided maybe it would be better to start a dedicated topic.

So it turns out there's this P&P Warhammer 40k RPG where you play as acolytes for an Inquisitor.  Naturally, when I found this out I squealed like a little girl and immediately began learning how to play.  Now that I know, I'm wondering if anyone else on Bay12 has an interest in starting a game.  I can GM if I have to, but I'd rather not.  I'm not the best at coming up with storylines, and I have a tendency to get a path for the adventure in my head, and when the players inevitably deviate, I realize I don't have a contingency plan for it and scramble to accommodate them.  I'd rather be a player, but if no one else is willing I could do it.

On the game itself.  Like I said before, it's a Warhammer 40k RPG.  You play as Acolytes for an inquisitor.  It's super-violent, like DF levels of violence.  Every hit below 0 HP maims you in horrifying ways, like cutting out eyes, severing limbs, partial disembowelment(If you keep fighting, there's a chance that the wound will open up completely, spilling your guts everywhere), great stuff.  The rules are very simple, and the only die that's used is a d10, which is awesome and makes it way easier to keep track of things.  There are a bunch of different guns, ammo types, augmentations, armor, and even vehicles with a free PDF-rules update(And even more items if you have the Inquisitor's Handbook).

It's not just combat, there's investigation too, so it's not a hack'n'slash like Dungeons and Dragons.  You have to think and reason, and deal with people who may or may not be willing to cooperate with you(You can always reveal that you're with the Inquisition, which will make most citizens wet themselves and immediately do what you tell them, but that could blow your cover)

I haven't had a chance to actually play, but I know the rules, and I know some of you have shown an interest before, so maybe with an actual thread discussions can proceed more smoothly.

INVESTIGATAN
SEARCHAN
SHOOTAN
PURGAN
ALL THINGS ACOLYTES DO

List of Possible Players

Cthulhu(GM, I guess, unless someone else wants to GM)

Name                                       Available                 Time Zone

Org                                           (7-10)                     GMT-5

Luke_Prowler                             12PM-2AM                 GMT-5

Mad Larks                             All but 5-12(AM?)            GMT+1

Cerej                                         (Any)                     GMT-5(-6 in November)

Kaeam                                                                    GMT+2

Martianemperor                                                        GMT-5

Spoiler: Mad Larks (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cerej (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Luke_Prowler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kaeam (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: CJ1145 (click to show/hide)

Server Information:

IP:                71.79.5.137
Password:      40k
Port              6812

Players:

Kaeam
Cerej
Mad Larks
Luke Prowler

Waiting List:

CJ1145
Pandarsenic
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:32:37 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Heresy - Perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 03:42:20 pm »

IN!
I wish to be some cool psyker mebbeh.

My head will explode most likely. :V

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:44:17 pm »

Yeah, psykers have a pretty high chance of dying horribly, but think of the power.

Astropaths though...  It would suck to be an astropath.  All you do is send and receive messages, and every time one of the Ruinous Powers sneezes your astropath explodes.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:52:48 pm »

Yeah, I've been reading up on it too.  I got the book for Inquisitor some years ago (it's largely the same game, just focused on roleplaying with no sense of scale or accomplishment).  I haven't actually figured out how Dark Heresy works yet, but I'm confident enough that I could wing it.  Likewise, having immersed myself in the 40K lore as much as I have, I've got some scenarios in mind for a multi-part campaign, with a lot of fudging, and I've been thinking of hosting some stripped down version of a 'traditional' game for a while.

That being said, what's hopefully my last year of college just started, and I already know that I'll be up to my eyeballs in research papers and conversational Spanish, so I doubt I'd even be able to participate, much less try my hand at GMing.  And as anyone who's seen my previous attempts knows, it doesn't take much to derail me unto abandonment.  But something like Dark Heresy where I'm not responsible for making up the rules and setting myself, could be possible.  I'll keep my eyes open.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 04:04:50 pm »

Ive heard of Dark Heresy, but never played it. But if its like Inquisitor Im good.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:08:41 pm »

*drools*

I so want to be a part of this. I haven't actually tried Dark Heresy, but I would be more than happy to try.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to GM, as I do not know as much about 40k as I'd wish. Plus my writing comes off as optimistic. In the GRIMDARK future of Warhammer 40000, optimism hung itself a long time ago.

In a galaxy far, far away *Brick'd* 

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 04:12:39 pm »

Everyone needs to know this:
All nice, important people are tainted by Chaos

The Grimdark people are either actually good, or Genestealer Hybrids.

Its true

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 04:15:34 pm »

It's true.  Everyone is ugly, old, mean, or stupid.  Smart, beautiful, friendly, and young people will either betray you or die as soon as you start to care about them.
Shoes...

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 04:20:07 pm »

Everyone needs to know this:
All nice, important people are tainted by Chaos

The Grimdark people are either actually good, or Genestealer Hybrids.

Its true

And that innocence proves nothing. And PURGE THE UNCLEAN!

Anyway, I've played this game a couple of times. Its...ah...rather lethal. Which is to be expected from 40k, really. An example would be that one time where a cultist managed to shoot my Arbiter's arm off with a stub pistol. Though, it got replaced with a cybernetic one, so I guess it all worked out well.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 04:21:56 pm »

I'm interested, assuming this isn't going to be a PbP.  Having looked it up, it seems to me Dark Heresy would play similarly to Call of Cthulhu, with careful investigation paramount to survival.  Being unfamiliar with the system I'd like to play a humble guardsman.

Quote from: Cthulhu
It's true.  Everyone is ugly, old, mean, or stupid.  Smart, beautiful, friendly, and young people will either betray you or die as soon as you start to care about them.

<.<

What about COMMISSAR CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!!

EDIT: Fixed reference.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:08:39 pm by Cerej »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 04:23:42 pm »

Though, it got replaced with a cybernetic one, so I guess it all worked out well.

That would be the mark of veterancy in the 41st millennium, how much of you is actually still there, mind included.  Techpriests excepted of course, but they're all crazy anyway.

I love this rulebook.  It's the far future and there's spaceships and pewpew guns.  By default three of the basic player classes can't read and the most valuable member is the guy with Trade (Copyist) skill.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 04:24:19 pm »

I'd rather do it with OpenRPG than Play by Post, considering the 100% failure rate of previous RPGs.
Shoes...

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 04:25:21 pm »

Oh yeah, that. That "I'd like to join" thing. Yeah, I would like to do just that. I can have my sheet up in a short while, too.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:27:09 pm by Mad Larks »
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 04:31:40 pm »

So who is definitely interested, and is anyone willing to GM?  We'll probably need times available too if we want to do this outside of PbP
Shoes...

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 04:32:51 pm »

Definitely interested, not really willing to GM. GMT +1

Also,
Though, it got replaced with a cybernetic one, so I guess it all worked out well.

That would be the mark of veterancy in the 41st millennium, how much of you is actually still there, mind included.

Well, true, but he was only second-rank, so...more in the lines of "Congratulations, you didn't immediately die a horrific death due to dismemberment, you might live long enough for a more mindscrewing demise.", I guess.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:36:18 pm by Mad Larks »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20