Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new Megabeast test#6  (Read 723 times)

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
new Megabeast test#6
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:10:10 pm »

So I decided my dwarves needed a new enemy to fight / be killed by so I modded in an interesting creature(?) from a book I was reading.

The body parts;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The creature;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, a) whaddya think?
b)will it be tough and hard to kill? and
c) Internet Cookies ( :: ) for whoever can guess the book it's from. 1 for the setting, 1 for the name of the series, and 1 for the name of the book.
 ;D

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
Re: new Megabeast test#6
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 03:44:01 pm »

Hard to kill? It has damblock 100! Also, I'm not sure if the ending tag and megabeast tag work together, but I'm not exactly a pro at modding.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:59:29 pm »

yes, but it's also size:7, and apparently size is far more dangerous than damblock.
ie. a size 20 10 damblock creature will beat a size 10 20 damblock creature.
Also I'm using the Dig Deeper, Civ Forge and Terrifying Goblins from A better Goblin mod. Hence, most megabeasts don't survive very long. Even with doubled size and damblock. I want to make sure this thing survives, just so it can wreak bloody havoc upon my fortress

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 04:36:53 pm »

I think 100 damblock is impenetrable. Looking for damage formula, brb.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 04:44:26 pm »

Yeah, you can do up to 75 a hit with an adamantine artifact warhammer.

If you knock them down (wrestling), you can do up to 150.

With 100 damblock, they roll a random number from 0 to 200. If the number is below the damage, they get hurt.

So, when against a legendary adamantine artifact, they take no damage 63% of the time. If prone, 25%.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:06:03 pm »

That sounds almost perfect ;D.
If it completely shatters my military and refuses to die for an excess of 15 minutes, I might have to lower it to 90 / 95.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:10:40 pm »

Isn't there that one little catch in the formula that gives something like a 1 in 20 chance of doing 1 damage if everything else came out to 0?  Just betting on that may be better than praying to armok for an artifact adamantine warhammer menacing with spikes of adamantine(for awesome) and a multi legendary hammerer with max strength to have a 40% chance of being effectual.

Just throw all 200 peasants and a few reclaim parties at it, it'll go down eventually.  That's the Dwarven way.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 07:55:52 am »

Actually, since it's a legendary wrestler, it'll counterattack every peasant to death in like 4 seconds.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 08:07:15 am »

Yer right.  We'll need to up the popcap.  There is nothing that wave after wave of fodder recruit cannot destroy.

Of course you could just drop a cave-in on it. A good cave in trap would destroy anything.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 10:50:31 am »

Two results;

one came to my fortress. I threw everything I had at it simultaneously, including 12 champions, each geared up with full adamantine chain + plate armor, and wielding masterwork adamantine weapons if not artifact.
It completely slaughtered all of them.
One guy had an artifact shield, and he lasted about 20 seconds.
Needless to say, everything else in my fortress was ripped to shreds. Except a baby. The baby went insane.

After this I checked the legends menu to see if any other civ had fought one of my beasts. Apparently, one had. They had killed it.  ???
A human wrestler broke off both its' legs before being killed, and apparently this allowed another to cut it in half. curses.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 11:20:32 am »

worldgen combat calculations are diffrent from actual ones to keep from worldgen slowing to a crawl.

The formulas haven't been released to my knowledge, but many things seem to be ignored from what I see.  Damblock has little to no effect.  Size seems to be the primary thing for megabeast power during worldgen, attack strength also seems to have an effect, but I haven't determined how much of one.

Bronze colossi are one of the few megabeasts able to put up a fight in fortress mode due to high damageblock and no organ weaknesses.  But in worldgen they die by the dozen.