Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Important Question (Goddamn this is bugging me)  (Read 1264 times)

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An Important Question (Goddamn this is bugging me)
« on: August 24, 2009, 02:55:23 pm »

Alright gents, here's the skinny. Back when I was in summer camp, (aka: a young boy) I played this great game in the computer lab (as a pale asthmatic child, this was considered infinitely superior to actually going outside). It was kind of like an RPG in space, but I don't remember that much of it.

Here's what I've got: The game was 2D, top down, and you flew around solar systems and landed on different planets and stuff. You played as a ship, and you started out as a shitty transport thing with nothing. I remember the Clipper Ship being one of the good ones you could get, and you could buy weapon upgrades and stuff and mercenaries to fly with you. You'd go around throughout the galaxy and inevitably fly into deep space where pirates would come out of nowhere and destroy you. You could do missions that involved transporting cargo and I think you could ransom planets (maybe).

Anyone have any idea what the game might be called? It was pretty great and I will owe you my eternal gratitude if you can help me out.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Important Question (Goddamn this is bugging me)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 03:06:17 pm »

1: About what year were you a young boy playing games in the lab? It's not like we know your age.
2: This post should probably have gone in the "What is the name of the game" thread
3: Sorry, don't know it

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:23:16 pm »

This was around eight years ago.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:32:16 pm »

Very vaguely what you wrote might fit to Star Control 2? Currently the open-source version is free by the name of the Ur-Quan Masters. Google it if you want to know more  :P

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 03:43:16 pm »

They both look pretty close, but I don't think either of those are them.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:50:14 pm »

Damn, I know exactly what you're talking about, but I don't remember the name...

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:08:31 pm »

Not to be bumping topics, but I am. I need to know.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 08:19:21 pm »

Well it sound a lot like escape velocity, but we eliminated that, right? Incidentally, what kind of computer did you use (like, say, a Mac?)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 09:49:43 pm »

It probably was a Mac. Yeah, it definitely was.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 10:52:01 pm »

Nope. It was 2D, I mean, no effects really. The graphics weren't really terrible but they weren't top notch.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 10:59:46 pm »

I also thought of Star Control 2 akaThe Ur-Quan Masters. If that is not it I don't know.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 12:00:25 am »

Does the fact that gambling was a thing you could do while on a planet help at all?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 04:38:33 am »

Okay, first off, let's establish the period...  Was it recent eight years ago, or did it seem a lot older?  (If it was in 16 colors, that's a big clue.)

You say it was 2D...So the ships were actually sprites, not models, right?

Was it realtime, not turn based?  Action-oriented combat, or more slow and ponderative?  What were the controls--something like arrow keys to turn and to speed up/slow down?  Or more RPGish?

Oo, here's a good one.  Battles.  Did they occur in the same 'arena' you flew around in, like EVNova, or were they seperate encounters (Starflight, Ur-Quan Masters)?

Your mercenary buddies.  Did they have ships of their own flying alongside yours, so you have multi-ship battles?

What did you do on the surface...explore, talk to people, solve mysteries, or mine for ore?

How heavy WAS the plot?  How long was the game, did you get any idea?

And are you absolutely sure it was a Mac game?  Because that makes the pickings pretty slim.

You'd damn well better not be talking about Strange Adventures in Infinite Space or anything like that.  :X

Never mind.  Naxza nailed it.  Your game is Escape Velocity, but probably not the modern remake Escape Velocity: Nova (which came out in 2002).

It features the Clipper as a popular ship, the early game most certainly involves crummy trading ships, it has all the various features you've described, and lets you gamble planetside--plus it's for the Mac (only, unlike EV:Nova) and the original is from 1996.

Screenshots: http://mac.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Escape-Velocity-Screenshot-9151.html
Info: http://www.mobygames.com/game/macintosh/escape-velocity
Its only faq on GameFAQs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/mac/file/575197/2600
Get the trial from Naxza's link here: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/ev/

If it's not the game you remembered, well, that's because your memories are bent slightly through the looking-glass of time.  You should have seen how disappointed I was when I went back to play Tiger Heli for the NES!  This is absolutely the game you're after (or maybe a mod like Naxza said).

EV:Nova has multiple plotlines and is pretty cool, plus it's for Windows too.  Look into it!

Anyway, you're welcome!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:12:35 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 09:33:53 am »

No, now that I see it, you're absolutely right. Thanks everyone.