Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different names for animal genders  (Read 1544 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Different names for animal genders
« on: August 24, 2009, 02:13:29 pm »

Currently, when you're assigning an animal to a chain you can't see it's gender. The only animal this isn't true of is the cow, where males are labeled as "Bulls" while females are "Cows". I know this is controlled in the raws (I've already modded this into my game), but it should be part of the standard package. Rather than having to mess with how the game actually sorts and displays animals in these menus, gameplay could be enhanced through a minimal amount of work by setting the standard raws to label different sexes of animals with different names.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Different names for animal genders
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 03:56:12 pm »

I did it too, but I found it rather confusing. That interface needs a big overhaul like most of them, anyway.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:07:00 pm »

Does that require a regen? If not i am totaly going to go in and add an "f" to the front of the female name in my fort...
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 09:59:59 pm »

(No, it doesn't.)

+1 on this.

The only rationale for not having it is not being able to tell the sex of a caged animal (no "close inspection", or something) - and that's rather weak.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 10:22:32 pm »

(No, it doesn't.)

+1 on this.

The only rationale for not having it is not being able to tell the sex of a caged animal (no "close inspection", or something) - and that's rather weak.

Considering that you can already do this with cows (well, it's still labeled as a cow cage, but if you go to add or release an animal it's listed as a cow or bull) I'd say this reason is shot. The only reason I can think of this not being currently in the game is just Toady hasn't thought to add it, which is what this forum is for.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:55:44 am »

This change has become more appealing to me since in my current fort. Trying to pit only excess males when feeding my GCS is tricky. I'd like to see the male and female symbols by at least animal names and perhaps even on the units list.

I think I'm going to do a quick fix. Just add gender specific names which are the same as the generic name but with "m" and "f" after a space on the end. So dog m, dog f. Less confusing than giving all the animals the true gender specific names.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 08:07:58 pm »

This change has become more appealing to me since in my current fort. Trying to pit only excess males when feeding my GCS is tricky. I'd like to see the male and female symbols by at least animal names and perhaps even on the units list.

I think I'm going to do a quick fix. Just add gender specific names which are the same as the generic name but with "m" and "f" after a space on the end. So dog m, dog f. Less confusing than giving all the animals the true gender specific names.

Instead of m and f, go with the gender symbols.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:25:35 pm »

Or use the proper gender-specific names, for the species that have them.

War bitches FTW :)
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 08:30:06 pm »

Oh god. That would truly be epic. A bitch of a defense.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 09:09:33 pm »

Or else War whores

Oh god. That would truly be epic. A bitch of a defense.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 02:50:10 am »

Heh.

For reference, the tags required are [SPECNAME:MALE:dude:dudes:dude] and [SPECNAME:FEMALE:dudette:dudettes:dudette]
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 02:54:28 am »

The reason I haven't is that it gets confusing, especially so with more unusual animals.

Instead of m and f, go with the gender symbols.

Not a bad idea.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 07:21:00 pm »

On this note I would like to make a public service announcement for those who love cheese.

When at your local cheese mart do not ask for yak cheese. You will get some very strange looks.

This is because Yak's are bulls and the cow is refered to as a yetti.

That being said I have mixed feelings about yetti cheese. The time I tried some, it was very easy to taste what the yetti ate, that is was very nutty and tasted a bit like hay.  Mostly however it tasted like licking a yak from hoof to shouldet :P
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 02:14:05 am »

If you plan on changing them all yourself to proper male/female, here is a place to start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animal_names