Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arena challenges!  (Read 1026 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arena challenges!
« on: August 24, 2009, 11:02:15 am »

With the new arena feature coming in the next version of dwarf fortress, I think we need a place to compile everyone's ideas for fights and challenges.

Play as a crocodile, and see how many elves you can eat (not a challenge, but just for fun).

If you can edit the arena terrain, then fill the bottom layer of the arena with water and build a series of small islands around the lake. Play as a carp, and see if you can kill the increasingly more powerful enemies of each new island: elves, dwarves, armed dwarves, bears, elephants, dragons, and so on.

Play as a fire imp in an elven forest retreat or a human town.

Play as a dragon and see how many novice wrestler dwarves you can fight at once and survive.

Share yours!
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Arena challenges!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:43:07 am »

Play as a kobold in a "one-sided capture the flag" environment

Command some dwarves in a battle sort of like "War" game mode from Call of Duty: WaW
( 1 2 3 4 5 , you control 1&2, they control 4&5, you fight over 3. If, say, you capture 3, you try to take 4, then 5, but they try to go for 3)

King of the Hill

Attack and defend (player defends a well fortified position with no respawns and few skilled creatures, NPC attacks with hordes of meatshields)

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:45:28 am »

I can imagine a nice modders tournament.

Each modder present one megabeast, and they fight in 1 on 1 duels, maybe in 3 rounds.

To keep it from being overpowered, there will be a maximum size, number / power of attacks, number of tissue layers etc., and points to spend into tags, some tags being more expensive than other (for instance, [NO_FEAR] worth 1 point whereas [FIREBREATH] worth 5).

After designing their creature with maximum originality (and mortality), the players post the raws, and a neutral player check them and organize the championship. It'll look a bit like that, complete with movies of the battle, comments and prognostics from Expert Organizers :

Player A's Multiheaded Dragon----|
                                             |-----Multiheaded Dragon----|
Player B's Underground Horror----|                                       |
                                                                                     |
                                                                                     |-------- Flying Mountain       
                                                                                     |
Player C's Flying Mountain  ------|                                       |
                                             |------Flying Mountain-------|
Player D's Witch-----------------|

And All Hail Flying Moutain, who become the new king of (modded) megabeasts.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 11:51:37 am »

Or let whole modded civs join that tournament. Sounds fun, especially with formations and stuff: the horde of goblins zerg rushing the phalanx of Mini-titans while a Wormman flanking maneuver is being  done to the gobbos

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 01:06:51 pm »

Am I crazy, or does this sound like an entirely new game mode?!?

If Toady's not careful, he'll crash the internet when he releases this version...

Internet cancels Exist: Interrupted by Awesome
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:44:41 pm »

It would be even better if you could first build an arena in dwarf mode and customize and then load this save in Arena Mode and play the shit out of it, forgetting to eat, sleep, and drink.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:49:45 pm »

Woah woah now, don't get too hyped up. This mode will be for combat tests that will be necessary for the new material system. Toady doesn't want to go over temporary things terribly much, which is what this will most likely be. Unless he plans to keep it for later as a modding tool. In which case this post is useless.

Not that I won't set my fortress badasses in there with a bunch of dragons and watch what happens.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 01:59:41 pm »

The more game modes the better!  I don't think the first release of DF had adventure mode, did it?

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 02:13:53 pm »

Woah woah now, don't get too hyped up. This mode will be for combat tests that will be necessary for the new material system. Toady doesn't want to go over temporary things terribly much, which is what this will most likely be. Unless he plans to keep it for later as a modding tool. In which case this post is useless.

Not that I won't set my fortress badasses in there with a bunch of dragons and watch what happens.
To be honest I doubt that even half of what we are describing will be possible in the first release, but we can dream cant we?
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 02:36:05 pm »

Play as a dragon and see how many novice wrestler dwarves you can fight at once and survive.

I would imagine with the new update you would be able to last indefinately, or at the very most get tired and unconsious due to fatigue.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 03:37:58 pm »

The dev logs make it seem like this is going to be very bare bones for the initial release. So its going to be a tease, but this could be very cool.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 04:00:28 pm »

Actually it seems like a sandbox mode for playtesting. Meaning you could do all of this, but your dwarves wouldn't be able to see it.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 04:56:33 pm »

The Half-Life 2 mod Obsidian Conflict has a map that consists entirely of teams of NPCs fighting each other and the players betting on who will win. 11 flying bladebots, or one enormous blue hulk with flamethrowers for hands!?

I've seen it last for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours at a time before anyone tries to organize a mapchange.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.