Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Ferosod, "Beastbones". Dwarves of War (Succession, begun)  (Read 5173 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ferosod, "Beastbones". Dwarves of War (Succession, begun)
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2009, 10:28:32 pm »

3rd Slate
A month has passed since our occupation of this fort began. I've finally begun keeping track of our supplies, and it seems that we still have maybe 30 units of food left. That should last us until next season. By then, we should be stable enough for a large planting operation.

A survey of orcish equipment has shown that while some were of good quality, they are all far too large to use. However, the orcish weapons will provide nicely for our military.

5th Slate
There's really not enough trees around here. Oh, how I wish we had magma to use as fuel.

12th Slate
I've just realized that I haven't slept since we've conquered the fort. So sleepy.

17th Slate
Praise the miners! We've struck lignite!

17th Slate, entry 2
The lignite was on top of a large magnetite cluster! We can produce the armor we so sorely need now!

22nd Slate
I'm having the lignite hauled to the surface for faster processing. We're going to have coke soon, boys!

Also, the we harvested the plump helmets just recently. We don't have much food, but we aren't eating much either.

24th Slate

The military scared the hell out of me today. Samus got a pretty deep wound in the lower body while sparring today, which doesn't make all that much sense when Methane was using a hammer. I thought we were going to lose our military before they saw action.

4th Felsite
It's a nightmare having to watch as the only two hopes for our fortress' survival whack at each other with real weapons. I've gotta get them some armor soon.

7th Felsite
The grass is turning from green to yellow. Summer is going to arrive soon.

27th Felsite
Spring is ending soon, and I'd figured that this would be a good time to see what we've accomplished.

We're still quite shakey, but not spiraling out of control. We've got a bit more seeds now, so we'll farm a bit more.

While I should not be revealing the fort's floor plans, here's a rough sketch of the interior.

It's nothing beautiful, but work is getting done. We can worry about beauty after we take care of defense and industry.

Here's to a good summer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:19:59 pm by blah28722 »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 11:21:25 pm »

I'll probably finish up summer tomorrow and the rest of my turn during saturday.

Holy crap watching the dwarves spar with weapons, shield, and no armor is scary. As you can tell from the blood, it's quite damaging to both of them.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2009, 12:06:03 pm »

SUMMER

8th Hematite

Apparently, Samus' beatings of Methane has reached epic proportions for them to become legendary.

14th Hematite
Not much is happening. We're trying to clean up the fort and armor our troops but we're seriously low on dwarfpower. I hope those reinforcements arrive.

18th Hematite
We've gathered the orc bones and are making bone bolts and totems with them. We only have one bone crafter though. This will take a while.

22nd Hematite
We've finally forged our first two sets of armor! It's nothing special, but it'll be good protection for sparring.

23rd Malachite
We need immigrants! Work has been going slow. Right now, Kosoth is cutting more wood. Other than that, not much is going on.

9th Galena

Armok damn it.

1st Limestone
Our very uneventful summer has ended.

Wealth hasn't changed much. Our food is still dangerously low. We should have enough time in the summer to really grow a bit of food.

The place still looks like a mess. I've got to clean up those rocks soon.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:49:24 pm by blah28722 »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2009, 12:55:33 pm »

Autumn

9th Limestone
We've finally made contact with other dwarves! They've brought caravans!

13th Limestone
Not too many useful things to take. Too much low quality armor. If we can collect enough of the orcs' stuff, we should be able to take all the steel stuff. Grabbed all the wood, food, plants, seeds, cloth, and leather we can right now.

I've ordered more wood, wood products like barrels and potash, steel, booze, turtles, and cave lobsters.

17th Limestone

Unfortunately, the things they want are the things we want, as well.

3rd Sandstone

It would appear that there are no more dwarves out in the world.

14th Sandstone
I managed to trade for just about everything the merchants had. It took a while though, we had to dump everything from the bins just so we can keep the bins. Maybe the merchants will spread word of us.

17th Timber
Another uneventful month. We're nearly done with connecting the three orcish fortresses via protected walkways.

I haven't really paid attention to our champions recently, but they've become incredibly skilled within two seasons. It hurts my eyes just to watch them spar. They seem to counter each others' counters to their counters. It's a great boost to morale, knowing we have these two warriors.

28th Timber
Autumn is coming to an end. It's time to prepare for a harsh winter.

Autumn was by far our best season so far. We were able to get quite a bit done. Booze is a bit scarce, but we have plenty of things to brew.

One of the other projects during this time has been the building of a midair path to the other fortresses. One is already done, while the longest stretch is nearly done.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:55:41 pm by blah28722 »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2009, 01:58:19 pm »

Winter

2nd Moonstone
After nearly a year of sleeping in the barracks, I've decided that we can spare the time to dig out some nice underground bedrooms. It should be a really quick project, we've already got all the furniture squared away.

15th Moonstone
The bedrooms are about done. We're still making a few coffers to go in them but that's a minor thing.

17th Moonstone

18th Moonstone
We've spotted the enemy!

Samus and Methane are both stationed at the gates. Let's see if their training has paid off.

19th Moonstone
I'm recording as much as I can about this battle. For all we know, it may be the only one Ferosod will see before it falls.

Samus is now known as the Daselgovos Rash, or "Heavenly Leaf of Death". Quite an appropriate nickname.

25th Moonstone
The three fortesses are finally connected. More stairs are being build to speed up the process of travelling through them.

4th Opal
With less than two months to go, it's time to wrap things up so my successor can work easier. I'm going to focus on mining for more lignite. Otherwise, it's mostly going to be reorganizing our fortress to make the workshops easier to understand.

5th Obsidian
It's nearing the end of the year, and we've made some good progress with streamlining the fort.

All those annoying little hallways have been dug out. There's a little bit of stone lying around but the stone stockpile in progress will take care of that.

15th Obsidian
I've commissioned a few engravings of our history from Magua. Let's see what we've got here...

What in the name of Armok?!

There's not a single one about the siege we just repelled! Why would he engrave only about the battles we lost? I'll have to keep my eye on Magua. He might not be trustworthy. I yelled at him a bit and told him to do it correctly.

That's better.

28th Obsidian
The year nearing an end, and it's time for a status report.

Net gain of the fortress is roughly 100,000 DB's. Most of the fortress' wealth is still due to the sheer size of the three obsidian fortresses.

Food is doing okay, we have plenty of plump helmet seeds, but we're a bit short on other types of seeds.

There's been no immigrants, which worries me greatly.

This is the main part of the fortress right now. After a year, it's finally been cleaned up to acceptable standards. The other forts haven't been touched, other than having their entrances sealed.

I've relinquished my leadership over Ferosod, it's time to let one of the younger dwarves take charge.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:33:06 pm by blah28722 »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2009, 03:49:10 pm »

The only notable relationship is betwee Samus and Methane Dioxide, who are Lovers. Which is really cool, considering they're the fortress' champions, and became legendary thanks to each other.

They're both legendary in three skills- Wrestle, Shield User, and their respective weapons. After seeing the size of the first siege, I'm a bit worried that our two champions are going to be able to fight off every other race's sieges with no problem.

Map of the area on DFMA.

The Save, click me!

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2009, 04:25:31 pm »

Looks good so far. The temple needs to be used for something. Death chamber perhaps?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2009, 10:47:18 pm »

You see, engravings have to show an arc.  A beginning, a middle, and an end...if I were to start with the dwarves triumphing over all, that's just not much of a story, is it?

Also, I'll admit surprise that two dwarves, even champions, could take an orc siege out on their own.  But, I don't imagine that any of the other sieges will be anything compared to the orcs.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2009, 05:01:28 am »

The dwarves were legendary wrestlers and shield users, as well as their weapon skills. With armour user and steel chain/plate, we'll have dorf tanks. The first set of urist mcsoapmakers (useless immigrants) could start a crossbow squad.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2009, 07:48:25 pm »

ok, downloading fort.

Lets see what mess you gave me... :D

edit: it says 'reaction definitions missing'. I'm going under the assumption that the mayday mod, which you appear to use, has modded in the economy stones list.

I'm looking for the mayday mod now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:05:18 pm by Vieto »

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2009, 04:42:41 am »

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

mayday mod. It also fixes the CAT_MOUTH bug.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2009, 07:56:05 am »

ok, its working.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2009, 02:35:39 pm »

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1395

as inscribed by Cazador on a limonite mechanism:

Well, it was a rather eventful year for me. It began when I was hammering some hammers, when suddenly Blah came to me and told me I was in charge. Fun.

Well, since I became in charge, I noticed that our entrance wasn't the best prepared for an invasion, so I issued the construction of an outer courtyard to keep our dwarves, the 10 of us, safe. During the construction, the elven bastards decided to strike.

Well, their mistake. Our 2 champions, who are also lovers, went out and slaughtered the whole bunch of them. I can only mmagine what was going on out there...
"Honey," *slice's of Elf head*
"yes, sweety-plump-helmet?" *smashes elf head in with hammet*
"do you want to go out for dinner?" *cuts off elf's arms, legs, and then head*
"Sure, sweety. How does a =elf meat roast= sound?" *sends an elf flying across the brook*
... anyways...

we got a wave of 19 immigrants. One of which immediately had the urge to make a cow leather short skirt.

The coming of summer reminded me that we needed more information about the stockpiles. As a result, I made Blah an office. I don't need an office myself. I also issued some cage traps to be built between some towers.

They proved useful, when a horde of monkeys attacked. we caught, and tamed, 3, while the rest were dealt with by our new recruits. Was fun to watch. I've also begun digging out a grand appartment hall to replace the old bedrooms, as well as beginning to make a trap out of the Orcish temple.

Well, during construction, Magua fell. She's alright now, but we had to send someone to dig her out. We got 7 more immigrants, bringing us to 36.

Autumn has arrived... (random sprawl) neeeeeedddd.... stone... rocks.... shells...
shells....
sheelelelelelllls!!!!!
where are my sheheheheeeelelelelels!
oh, sorry. I don't remember anything from the past month. I was told I was possessed, and took a mechanics shop, to make a limonite mechanism. They ran out of shells, so they had to buy more from the caravan.

Also, I ordered some fortifications to be made around the walls.

Winter has come, and so have the Orcs!!!!!!!! Barricade us in!!!

or not.
It appears that the Elves and the Monkeys put up more of a fight than the Orcs.

speak of the devils...

In any case, the appartment blocks, which will have wells and water in them, are not finished, and my term has ended. The trap isn't finished either.

Fort

Appartments

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2009, 04:51:46 pm »

looks good so far. Where were the apartments going to be and whats with the trap. I can't see how to finish it. Gonna let dwarf therapist loose on this place. I noticed a few things that were different to how I play, but all in all it is a well oiled killing ground. And I got 40 fps. May swao to 40d16 and see how it goes.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2009, 06:07:42 pm »

the appartments: a slice of what it should be:

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X___D__-W    W-__D___X
X___D__-W    W-__D___X
X___D__-W    W-__D___X
X___D___ ____ ___D___X
       X~X  X~X
X - wall
_ - floor (may be a room)
D - door