Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need designing help  (Read 1063 times)

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need designing help
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:58:24 pm »

So I'm playing this fortress with Orcs added in.

This is my 4th or 5th such fortress, and I FINALLY have a defensible structure keeping me safe from the evil buggers.  Can even kill them too!  Yay!  (Glass ftw!)

But this leaves me with a problem.  Considering this entire fortress was designed soley for the purpose of defeating these invaders, and having sucsessfully achieved this goal, I find my will to play dwindling.  What else is there to accomplish now?

Well...  if I'm thinking like that, it's OBVIOUSLY time for a megaproject.  but what to build?  So many possibilities, always wanted to try a great pyramid.  I did that colloseum a while ago, that was nice...  A castle?  I've build 3 of the bloody things, and they never look even halfway decent.  I need something.. more.

I know!  I'll build some structures from my other favorite games!  I'll build a giant Command Center, with nuclear silo attachments, and a barracks, and maybe even put in a lifted off engeneering bay!  That would be truely dwarven!   (For those of you who live underneath a rock, I'm talking about starcraft.)

And then I got to work on designing such structures, and I have come to a dreadful conclusion.    I can't design buildings worth shit.  Seriously, I'm so embarrassed by my attempts that I deleted the pictures and razed the structure, lest the internet get a hold of it and mock me with it's horridity.

So I come here, to humbly ask assistance.   I need a floorplan, a blueprint, to use to construct these great things.   Heck, I'm even willing to construct some other amazing structure if you can get me the design for it.  Time is not an issue, the lack of artistic talent is the only thing holding me back!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: I need designing help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 03:01:49 pm »

It sounds like you played starcraft...
Build a tower to the heavens. Use it to drop diving bells of obsidian onto the ground, the soldier shall be a miner.
Build a bunch of Ballista bunkers and keep auxillary bases for some civvies and siege operators.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 03:45:31 pm »

I find sometimes that its helpful to get some graph paper and just doodle things out. I remember once I made a barracks facility thing in the shape of a big sword, and I just kept redoing it on paper until the proportions looked right. Course, might be more difficult if you're not using a square tileset.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 07:40:14 pm »

For Bonus Points, make the Command Center properly Colored for whatever color you choose *Meaning hope you have a lot of Colored Ore*

Then Rename all your Jobs to appropriate StarCraft-ish names

Then Piss off the Orcs or Elves again and prepare for the Zerg!!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 07:54:10 pm »

I find sometimes that its helpful to get some graph paper and just doodle things out. I remember once I made a barracks facility thing in the shape of a big sword, and I just kept redoing it on paper until the proportions looked right. Course, might be more difficult if you're not using a square tileset.

For a more reusable approach, open Paint(you know, that graphics editing program that you've never used), set it to the largest zoom possible and turn on gridlines.  Great for rough, non-detail designs.  I designed my standard catacombs this way.  I like my catacombs, it gives a 3x3 area for everyone(I'm really nice about that) and is nearly infinitely scaleable.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:23:16 pm »

For Bonus Points, make the Command Center properly Colored for whatever color you choose *Meaning hope you have a lot of Colored Ore*

Then Rename all your Jobs to appropriate StarCraft-ish names

Then Piss off the Orcs or Elves again and prepare for the Zerg!!

I was planning on it, I have a lot of Kaolinite and Bauxite on my map.

And I thank you for your ideas on how to design it better.  I have done such things when designing efficient fortresses, and for my colloseum.  The issue with this is, It is not simple straight lines, it is something abstract in three dimensions, and I have issues visualizing the results.

I am working on a Bunker ATM, so that I can fill it full of marksdwarves (only 4 of them) to Machine-crossbow down anything that gets in my way.