Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d13 linux keyboard weirdness  (Read 884 times)

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d13 linux keyboard weirdness
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:30:05 pm »

Hi all, been enjoying df on windows for a while and finally got it running on my 64 bit Debian stable (lenny) install after much ati driver frustration.  Everything is running fine, good fps, but my keyboard, specifically the keypad isn't working as expected.

On the main menu, 8 and 2 on the keypad function as expected, also on the embark menus.  But when selecting a region and in the actual game, the keypad moves me in unexpected directions.  Off hand, I think 8 moved up and right, 4 moved down and left (those could be incorrect, but each "straight" direction key moved in a diagonal instead).

I'm using a standard 104 key keyboard, us layout.  Tried this with/without caps lock and num lock, same result.

I've looked through init.txt but didn't find any settings that seemed applicable.  Any ideas?

EDIT : I should mention that the arrow keys also do the same thing.  Up arrow performs the same incorrect way as keypad 8 (also the regular number row 8 does the same).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 02:36:22 pm by donald »

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d13 linux keyboard weirdness
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:58:38 pm »

You should upgrade to 40d14 - it fixed the keyboard stuff afaik.

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 03:26:02 pm »

Any chance you could be so kind as to point me to the right download page for 40d14 on linux?  I think I originally followed a link from a forum post to download the linux version, and never actually found a downloads page with the latest version...feeling a bit dumb!  :-[

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 04:14:08 pm »

Look up.

------

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Total time logged in: 9 days, 19 hours and 25 minutes.
News: August 15, 2009: OpenGL/SDL DF 40d14 is up for testing.
News: August 1, 2009: The August '09 Report is up.
News: September 6, 2008: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40d has been released.
Forum Guidelines

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 07:01:41 pm »

Any chance you could be so kind as to point me to the right download page for 40d14 on linux?  I think I originally followed a link from a forum post to download the linux version, and never actually found a downloads page with the latest version...feeling a bit dumb!  :-[

Pay no heed to those snarkmeisters.  You can get it here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40349.0

The release marked HEAD apparently contains some additional fixes, so that's probably the one you want.

donald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:20:13 am »

Thanks much!  Back up and running!

Ran into an issue with a missing 32 bit library.  I copied my old copy (that I must have figured out I needed last time b/c it was in my old ./libs) into ./libs but every time I load DF it deletes the library and complains it isn't there.  (I'm not at home so I can't remember which lib it was offhand)  I ended up making a symlink to the library instead and the game works, but df deleted the symlink when it loaded.

I'm thinking I'll just set the link to -w and that should solve it, but if anyone has a better suggestion let me know...thanks again!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:56:37 am »

If you post some more details in that linked topic, Baughn can probably help you.