Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Your most hated nemesis  (Read 15704 times)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most hated nemesis
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2009, 05:12:33 pm »

They can not? My woodcutter would like to disagree, if he still had legs. And arms. And a head... poor guy. :-\
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2009, 06:14:24 pm »

My great Enemy?

FPS...

Yes, sooner or later FPS will always grind to a snails pace
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2009, 06:20:40 pm »

It was a carp in a lake that killed about 6 or 7 dwarves over a period of years. It got a full name and a bunch of honorifics and titles. Stupid dwarves ignored my indoor wells and kept trying to get water right where this carp lurked.

I think I finally killed it with a squad of marksdwarves. I was worried the stupid dwarves would walk up to the water's edge to fire and the whole squad would be wiped out, fortunately I only lost 1 marksdwarve in the assault on that carp.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2009, 09:25:45 pm »

Azinodos Kezkíg Zoluth.  A freaking Giant Bat that plagued the hell out of my latest fort in its infancy.  This damn thing would come screaming out of the sky at every migrant wave, killing two dwarves from each, then lied in wait for a stray worker to get at it.

I finally killed it with my outpost manager, who was the only dwarf I had put any military points into.  Talk about bad luck of the draw there...
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2009, 10:11:51 pm »

Sangus.  Sangus was a kobold.  Sangus successfully stole a (faint yellow) diamond artifact mug from me; I'm still not sure how she did it.  The result was an Adventurer Mode epic, as I hunted the mountains and caves seeking her out.  Poor thing didn't know what hit her when a raving, hammer-wielding dwarf grabbed her favorite mug, smashed her into a cave wall, and tore out of the cave hellbent upon returning the mug (I don't recall its name now, funnily enough) to its rightful place in the mountain home.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:15:25 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2009, 10:49:37 pm »

Curse you ALUNITE!
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2009, 01:55:10 am »

Fireflies. Having a siege parade into your fortress because you cant close the door due to insect remains jamming it up is not a good end for your fortress.
(Subsequently pulling the liver resulting in a magma flood of the entire fortress entering via that jammed open door is a good end I might add. )
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2009, 09:32:54 am »

Pulling the liver sounds like something you'd do in adventure mode... 8)

My nemesis? Dwarven Stupidity. Running outside to get a -pig tail sock- killed Boatmurdered and I won't let it kill Parchedrampart! But honestly, do i really have to forbid the whole outside to tell my dorfs "don't run into that squad of speargoblins"? :'(
Also, my so called legendary military, going to have a drink or a little nap. Exactly at the start of a siege. I think I need a lever, assigned to at least 5 dedicated lever-pullers and rigged to close everything until my champions are drunk enough to do some fighting.

And Ruthoshalis, the alligator. He Terrorised my fort for almost two years, killing 3 dorfs and some wardogs by pulling them into his pond. Come on, a single alligator doing about as much damage as all the later goblin sieges? This is scary...
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2009, 10:32:51 am »

Sangus.  Sangus was a kobold.  Sangus successfully stole a (faint yellow) diamond artifact mug from me; I'm still not sure how she did it.  The result was an Adventurer Mode epic, as I hunted the mountains and caves seeking her out.  Poor thing didn't know what hit her when a raving, hammer-wielding dwarf grabbed her favorite mug, smashed her into a cave wall, and tore out of the cave hellbent upon returning the mug (I don't recall its name now, funnily enough) to its rightful place in the mountain home.

That is epic.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2009, 02:38:40 pm »

Orcs randomness. Either I'm prepared for them and they don't show, or I don't prepare and they do.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2009, 04:11:02 pm »

They can not? My woodcutter would like to disagree, if he still had legs. And arms. And a head... poor guy. :-\

They didn't in my last haunted fortress. Other violent skeletal fish can, and will, charge and eat you.
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2009, 11:29:16 pm »

Ordinary fish here. My main fortress, Evermansion, has been plagued by fish in the stream where the citizens got their water. I designate zones for drinking where the fish don't come based on seasons, and they still went over where they were. They killed my initial miner, fisherdwarf, fish cleaner... all their stuff still sits in the riverbed, too. It is truly a shame. ("I am truley sorry for your lots"?)
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2009, 05:41:26 am »

Several different things.

Giant cave swallows.
Batmen in chasm games.
Dark gnomes.
Getting distracted.
Forgetting what that lever does, then pulling it anyway.
Nobles impacting on the immigration rate when sent to join Armok for a badly planned mandate or to free up space for the new noble.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2009, 10:48:31 am »

I've changed my mind. The orcs aren't so bad, it's the gobbos ambushing my haulers. I haven't gotten an immigrant wave in three years now, mostly because up until recently the orcs always sieged in fall so the mountainhome still thought we were broke. After drowning four of their local leaders in the same siege, they finally stopped, but the goblins have decided to fill in for them. I've seen at least three ambushes burned by the imps lighting the world on fire, and killed another dozen with spear dwarves, marksdwarves, and traps. Inside of a year. That's a lot of damn ambushes, without incoming dwarves I'm almost afraid to let my haulers out to gather goblin loot and cut wood. At least the orcs announced their arrival, the gobs like to pop out of ambush an shoot at my children.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2009, 12:18:26 pm »

Fire imps and firemen. I've lost one fort to a wild fire created by some imps and had many precious metal workers injured by both imps and firemen.

The fact is I can't even start a magma forge without lining it with traps or sending in a squad to protect it. And I prefer the traps because my dorfs seem to think they can swim and chase the imps and FM back into the magma.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6