Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heavy Rain  (Read 3086 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Heavy Rain
« on: August 23, 2009, 06:24:19 am »

So I don't know how many people have been following this new game from the creators of Indigo Prophesy / Fahrenheit, especially since it was announced to be PS3 exclusive, but I was somewhat surprised to find out about the gameplay.

It starts out by having a very bizarre control method for movement.  You hold down a shoulder button to move forward, and then turn by turning the camera.  What's even more bizarre though is the meat of the game.  The demos shown both put the characters into rather tense situations, but what's most strange is that there are apparently no cutscenes in the game... everything that could be considered a cutscene short of basic character dialogue is done via a quick time event.

The E3 09 demo is a great example of this.  One of the characters, an FBI agent, is investigating a lead in a junk yard owned by a man named Mad Jack.  Apparently he sold a car to someone who the agent needs to find.  The agent, who I shall call Pasty McActionhero gets out of his car after a short... slow time event... where the player pushes left to open the door, and heads over to mean Mad Jack who is operating a claw crane on treads.  Mad Jack, a hulking black man whose apparently gone through massive lower lip extension surgery is rather unhelpful, refusing to answer his questions.  Not deterred, our brave hero puts on his super evidence displayomatic sunglasses, and immediately sees a whole bunch of crap light up all over the garage  Apparently there's out of place pollen in the air, and... blood all over the ground.  Invisible blood.  He follows the trail to the acid bath and finds himself a human skull.  Just as he's realizing how much shit he's in however, the Goliath materializes behind him and points a big frigging pistol at his skull.  He immediately explains that one of Pastey's cop friends asked too many questions, so Ol' Jacko had to take care of him, like Ol' Jacko do.  He then suggests they go to the back room so that he can finish Pasty off out of sight... of whoever might be watching them in a junkyard in the middle of the night, in the pouring rain.

As they head to the back, Agent Pasty gets his first chance at quick time action, kicking the jolly brown giant in the shin and knocking his gun away.  A drawn out fight scene ensues with tons of timed button presses, and lots of evidence that Jack seems to be no ordinary freakishly large racist stereotype... no, he's actually a slasher movie monster racist stereotype.  However, he's still a racist stereotype, and as such, it only takes a few bullets into the fall near his head once Pasty gets ahold of a fire arm to convince him to talk.  He gives a bunch of information and pasty starts to read him his rights, only to have his vision suddenly begin to blur.  No, he isn't concussed.  He's apparently addicted to some drug he needs to take for his super CSI vision goggles to work or something.  Anyway, a whole bunch of buttons start appearing on screen which the developer explains represent Pasty trying to shoot up in the middle of the arrest, but he fails, and collapses.  Jack delivers a corny one liner or two, then knocks our valiant hero out cold.

Agent Pasty awakes to find himself hand cuffed to his vehicle's steering wheel, and fortunately for him, Jack decided to go for the low budget bond villain approach.  The screen splits with the top part showing the inside of pasty's car and the bottom showing how close it is to the massive spinning blades of the junk yard's car destroyomatticmabob.  Being a resourceful sort, agent pasty starts flailing the analogue sticks and shaking the controller in  order to somehow get himself free.  This doesn't seem to have much effect until he remembers he has a spare gun in his glove compartment, and through the magic of action movie physics, manages to get it out, and into his hands, then shoots the chain of his cuffs just as the car is dropped into the destroyomatticmabob and scrambles out through shear button mashing force of will, flopping to the ground in exhaustion.  As usual though, Jack decides to take a page from the Jason Vorhees book of oversized villain...y, and teleports out of the crane control cabin to somewhere out side of agent pasty's view, only to blind side him as soon as he realizes what has happened.  The black behemoth then proceeds to beat the living crap out of agent pastey in a QTE of epic proportions.  It goes on for over two minutes with Jack making all sorts of stereotypical black bad guy one liners like "You think you bad?  You think you bad?" and chuckling like an idiot as agent pasty's attacks seem to simply bounce off.  At some point the crane starts driving forward on it's own for no apparent reason.  This however marks the downfall of the ebony colossus, as agent pasty, using his superior white intellect tricks Jack into standing in front of the crane's tread and not move for a few seconds, allowing it to crush him to death.  Thus the superiority of the white race is once again proven.

At least that's the message I got from the video.  I remember reading that in indigo prophesy the female cop had a black partner and that every time he appeared on screen funk music would spontaneously start playing no matter how inappropriate.  In other words, as far as I can tell the writers in this company have some serious issues with black people.

So yeah... Heavy Rain, the heavily racist, heavily QTE laden psychological action/drama.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Rain
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:29:32 am »

So wait... so the whole game is like the knife fight scene from Resident Evil 4?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:13:39 am »

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 07:36:00 am »

So wait... so the whole game is like the knife fight scene from Resident Evil 4?

Yes. Also, let me see that trailer thar.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 01:39:32 pm »

Of course, if you do the QTE wrong, this is by far the coolest part: the game will change accordingly. Maybe Agent Pasty DOESN'T get loose and gets killed instead, and the story will continue without him and adapt as necessary.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 01:54:38 pm »

Only one "o".

The game looks interesting to be sure but god damn. That's the worst looking rain I've ever seen. Look at that title men! What the heck is that?!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 02:32:05 pm »

I am intentionally avoiding information on Heavy Rain because I think it will be amazing... or at least on par with Indigo Prophacy except without the chance of having the other half of the game degenerate into a weird mess.

Interesting Fact: Indigo Prophacy was originally intended as a three part game. These plans changed and the game was all three games crammed into one. It is especially evident by some of the "Last minute" villains and "Upgraded" villains.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 06:25:25 pm »

Only one "o".

The game looks interesting to be sure but god damn. That's the worst looking rain I've ever seen. Look at that title men! What the heck is that?!

Huh?  Really?  Are you sure?  I don't remember all that clearly myself but... did you watch all five parts of the E3 video?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 06:28:48 pm »

It was supposed to be "title menu". Typo there. And yeah, I watched all the videos.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 05:48:12 am »

I, too, am really looking forwards to it.

Huh.  The "Indigo Prophecy was three games" makes a lot of sense.  I usually say that Indigo Prophecy makes about as much sense as if Star Wars didn't introduce the concept of the Force until chapter VI, and then suddenly EVERYTHING is crawling with Jedi.

If they do it RIGHT, this will be super hardcore awesome.

Yeah, the best part of this new game in my mind is that you can die, and it just says "Okay, that character's dead, the plot changed a little, let's move on!"
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 11:58:23 pm »

Yeah.  It's definitely got some features that would be really cool if they actually end up in the game and don't suck.  The any character can die thing reminds me of my slasher flick game idea.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 12:42:41 am »

Yeah.  It's definitely got some features that would be really cool if they actually end up in the game and don't suck.  The any character can die thing reminds me of my slasher flick game idea.

Well I am SURE there is a point where the game says: "Without any connections to the plot the murderer gets away"

Honestly the worst problem with Heavy Rain is that there arn't more games like it and that they arn't more popular
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:46:02 am by Neonivek »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 05:12:08 pm »

Well I am SURE there is a point where the game says: "Without any connections to the plot the murderer gets away"

Honestly the worst problem with Heavy Rain is that there arn't more games like it and that they arn't more popular
I believe the game's actual plot has it so it's a serial killer, so obviously he would murder again=more connections.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 05:39:21 pm »

A game designed to make an infinite number of stories and connections until you have solved the mystery.

That'd be badass.