Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perpetual motion plants  (Read 878 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Perpetual motion plants
« on: August 23, 2009, 03:36:25 am »

Well, I successfully constructed a small and reliable single waterwheel perpetual power plant. But when I tried to build a bigger one, it failed: The waterwheels just weren't getting any flow. Looking around the DFMA, it doesn't really seem that there's a tried and tested way of reliably constructing large ones. Anyone have experience with this?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
Re: Perpetual motion plants
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:00:01 am »

The basic concept for my powerplants works like this (actually 3 z-levels, but flattened for this diagram):

+++++++
+   +_+
+W+W+W+
+W+W+W+
+W+W+W+
+ +   +
+X+++P+
 X   P
 _   _

+ wall  W waterwheel  X connected pump  P unconnected starter pump  _ aquifer channel

The actual plants have more coils, wheels, and manual starter pumps. The spaces past the wheels probably aren't necessary, so it could probably be more compact. It would also be more space efficient if each coil had two or three wheels in a straight line.

I use a channel into an aquifer layer both to obtain water and to dispose of it at the end -- if you don't have one, you could probably make a circular water system. It also helps to have mechanisms to disengage the plant from workloads while you're starting it. If the plant is fairly large, you can also disengage sections of it and use a cascading startup sequence (wait until the first section is generating power, then start the second, then the third...). Otherwise it won't start until the water has made it all the way through the system (it actually consumes more power than it generates until most of the wheels have water under them).

I'm planning on putting a burning lignite bin in a niche in the inflow to make it into a less exploitish steam plant -- vented with a smokestack for authenticity.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:46:22 am by Eidako »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:44:51 am »

Water tends not to flow particularly well around corners - it'll just slosh around a bit and won't be enough to keep a waterwheel going continuously. However, the water wheel directly in front of the pump should stay consistently active.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:56:53 am »

Just place a new pump at every turn.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:31:38 am »

Water tends not to flow particularly well around corners - it'll just slosh around a bit and won't be enough to keep a waterwheel going continuously. However, the water wheel directly in front of the pump should stay consistently active.

It seems to put out the same thousands of units of power consistently. Even if a wheel or two were to stop momentarily, the absurd amount of excess power put out by the system as a whole makes it unnoticeable. The corners only seem to be an issue while starting it -- I think that once it's full that it doesn't matter how fast the water is flowing, just the fact that it is.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:38:37 am by Eidako »