Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29

Author Topic: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife  (Read 30453 times)

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #270 on: August 28, 2009, 11:55:52 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:35:12 pm by Stany »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife
« Reply #271 on: August 28, 2009, 12:11:50 pm »

Pretty much. Imagining a giraffe is may use the same neurons as seeing a giraffe (it does) but that has nothing to do with "thinking in 4D."
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 28, 2009, 12:16:16 pm »

That, and individual minds can work in remarkably different ways, there is no guarantee that any one of us perceives the world in a way even remotely similar to anyone else.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 28, 2009, 12:22:10 pm »

Sure you can preform four dimensional calculations, but you can't imagine from a 4d perspective. Anyone knows that 3^4 is 81, which would be the hyper-volume of a hypercube with a length of three, a height of three, a width of three, and a blagth of three. But you cannot concieve such an object in your mind. Again, you can make allusions to it, you can calculate it's properties, but you cannot see it in that perspective.

When you believe the allusions to be true, you are deluding yourself.

I've explained this thrice now, if you can't understand me then that's your own fault. If you can think in four dimensions, you should be heralded as a god since no human (forget that, no three dimensional being) can do that.

As in Edward Abbot's Flatland, a being of a certain dimension cannot perceive or even imagine the dimensions above it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:24:44 pm by Psyco Jelly »
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 28, 2009, 02:38:07 pm »

I understand perfectly well what you are saying, and I say you are WRONG.

By the way, you are mixing up 'see', 'perceive', and 'think'. I cant SEE 4d, nor can I see 3d, because my retinas are 2d (nothing to do with the brain, the nerves, the lenses, or anything before or after the retina, only the retina matters in this case). I can't perceive 4d, because there are no 4d objects around here to be perceived, if there were, I could perceive them.  I can easily THINK in 4d. I can also visualize, render, imagine, and etc. stuff that uses the brain.
And no, I'm not deceiving myself, I most likely know more about both the physics and math, and the psychology and biology and philosophy, and even about the actual skills, of these things than anyone who have posted in this thread.

EDIT: By the way, this may come as a shock for you, but flatland is a work of FICTION.

Also, if you think I am geting myself worked up to much over this, you should remember that peaple in this thread have claimed that I am a liar, deluded, and stupid, for claiming I can do something anyone should be able to do with a bit of training unless they are an idiot.

Also, you are claiming that "nobody can [think in 4d]", which is a negative, you cant prove a negative, and in fact I can disprove your negative by showing someone (me), who CAN think in 4d.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:46:41 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2009, 03:18:22 pm »

And no, I'm not deceiving myself, I most likely know more about both the physics and math, and the psychology and biology and philosophy, and even about the actual skills, of these things than anyone who have posted in this thread.
Hey, come on! I posted in this thread too. You can't claim to be the most arrogant bloke around.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2009, 03:24:45 pm »

Hey, come on! I posted in this thread too. You can't claim to be the most arrogant bloke around.
So are you a psychologist, or a mathematician, or perhaps a neurologist, or a computer scientist?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2009, 03:31:45 pm »

This thread gets more lol with every post.  I'm glad I stopped by.
Shoes...

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 28, 2009, 03:48:44 pm »

I understand perfectly well what you are saying, and I say you are WRONG.

By the way, you are mixing up 'see', 'perceive', and 'think'. I cant SEE 4d, nor can I see 3d, because my retinas are 2d (nothing to do with the brain, the nerves, the lenses, or anything before or after the retina, only the retina matters in this case). I can't perceive 4d, because there are no 4d objects around here to be perceived, if there were, I could perceive them.  I can easily THINK in 4d. I can also visualize, render, imagine, and etc. stuff that uses the brain.

EDIT: By the way, this may come as a shock for you, but flatland is a work of FICTION.

Also, if you think I am geting myself worked up to much over this, you should remember that peaple in this thread have claimed that I am a liar, deluded, and stupid, for claiming I can do something anyone should be able to do with a bit of training unless they are an idiot.

Also, you are claiming that "nobody can [think in 4d]", which is a negative, you cant prove a negative, and in fact I can disprove your negative by showing someone (me), who CAN think in 4d.

You've already proved all I need to know. If you ask any college professor or anyone specialized in the subject you will find out where your fault lies. I've already said we can preform four dimensional calculations. There are a series of clever tricks to get a feeling of what 4-d objects are like, like the method you described earlier, but it's not actually visualizing them.

I've stated all I can. I'm not going to argue any further. I feel the majority if not the entirety of this forum will agree.

I'll give you a piece of advice. whe you are arguing your point, don't insult people the other party in the argument. It's very bad form.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 28, 2009, 04:05:23 pm »

I like how this thread showcases that Armok is a liar, deluded, and stupid for everyone to see. XD
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2009, 04:18:36 pm »

Don't know if this has been said yet, but I can see 4D. I just have to keep my eyes open for more than a moment. That being said, thinking in 4D is just 3D plus change over time.

(And I really don't know if I said anything relevant.)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2009, 04:44:33 pm »

We mean 4-d as in four spatial dimensions. Time isn't a spatial dimension for our purposes.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2009, 04:55:21 pm »

I like how this thread showcases that Armok is a liar, deluded, and stupid for everyone to see. XD
This thread gets more lol with every post.  I'm glad I stopped by.

You should have seen it earlier, when the eyearms thing started.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:12:11 pm by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2009, 05:02:23 pm »

Yeah, you only perceive 4D objects in 3D. It's sort of like drawing a 3D object on paper.. you're only drawing it in two dimensions, but trying to make it look like a 3D shape. It's not really 3D on paper and can't be, because when you move it, it's doesn't move like a 3D object. And yes, when you model a 3D object in a computer, it really is processed as 3D.

Seriously, if you can just model an object visible as 4 dimensional on a computer or so, you win the argument.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2009, 05:16:19 pm »

Sorry to break up the chain here,but wouldn't die be the same as sleeping?Time passes instantly untill you awake.Expect you don't,so time passes till the next phase of human tech or some kind of godly power.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29