Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29

Author Topic: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife  (Read 30494 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2009, 06:46:00 am »

No, I was kidding.

And shut up! I changed dammit, I wasn't expecting you to quote me!

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2009, 06:47:38 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:21:52 pm by Stany »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2009, 06:48:19 am »

Well, to get this thread back on track, doing so would give you vital experience in the afterlife, should there be one.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2009, 06:49:51 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:21:43 pm by Stany »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2009, 06:51:20 am »

No, I was kidding.

And shut up! I changed dammit, I wasn't expecting you to quote me!

Pirates are not the bane of the ninja. the humble [/quote] tag is. ;D

The thing is, an afterlife which was actually a physical thing where you could crush LCDs and snort them would defeat the purpose of it being, well, after life.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2009, 06:52:19 am »

When you die your find out, or not, until then thinking about it is just like shooting fish in a barrel, except the fish may not be in the barrel, they could all be on holiday on another planet, or sneaking up behind you with a knife...

It might defeat the point, but it wouldn't defeat the function if it did, in fact, occur after a life...

And I thought that the modify button was the best weapon against ninjas, but that is probably just me going soft...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:54:09 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #216 on: August 27, 2009, 06:54:28 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:21:33 pm by Stany »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 27, 2009, 06:54:45 am »

It is however fun to think about, despite the fact that the only verification for any of our theories will be eschatological.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 27, 2009, 07:27:39 am »

I dont quite get why peaple are having truble thinking in 4d, it takes more power, yes, but not that much more and only because more dimentions always take up more power. It might be hard to render in realtime, yes, but that shouldn't prevent thinking about it.
That...no way I mean, how can you do that? Are you honestly capable of imagining all four dimensions, what does that even looks like?
I'm not quite sure how one can be unable to think in 4 dimensions, 5-7 is were one shuld start to have trouble, but really...

As for *rendering* it, that's a bit harder, because you have to convert an n-dimentional procedural or vector format of some kind into a raster grapic with 2 spatial dimentions and 1 time, as that's what the visual cortex is hardwired for, but it's still not that hard at least up to 5 or so.

One easy method is to use two 2d planes, one one you project a "shadow" of the 4d object as a reference, for each point on that image, you then have the other plane take a slice of the other two dimensions
Then you overlay a space filling curve (or just a semi-space filling zigzag for simplicity), and move a point along that curve, and render the corresponding contend of the second plane. and there you have it, 4 spatial dimensions rendered in 2 spatial and 1 time.
You can also use the perspective rendering from 3d to 2d and a volume filling curve to make this work with up to 6 dimensions, provided you have good enough temporal resolution and/or good enough memory. Note that this include BOTH spatial and temporal dimensions.

Also, you if the geometry is simple enough along some dimensions, (just a thickness, or displacement) you can colour code them, combined with the above methods this should let you render AT LEAST 9d, possibly 12d or so, provided that shapes are suited for it.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 27, 2009, 09:31:18 am »

I dont quite get why peaple are having truble thinking in 4d, it takes more power, yes, but not that much more and only because more dimentions always take up more power. It might be hard to render in realtime, yes, but that shouldn't prevent thinking about it.
That...no way I mean, how can you do that? Are you honestly capable of imagining all four dimensions, what does that even looks like?
I'm not quite sure how one can be unable to think in 4 dimensions, 5-7 is were one shuld start to have trouble, but really...

As for *rendering* it, that's a bit harder, because you have to convert an n-dimentional procedural or vector format of some kind into a raster grapic with 2 spatial dimentions and 1 time, as that's what the visual cortex is hardwired for, but it's still not that hard at least up to 5 or so.

One easy method is to use two 2d planes, one one you project a "shadow" of the 4d object as a reference, for each point on that image, you then have the other plane take a slice of the other two dimensions
Then you overlay a space filling curve (or just a semi-space filling zigzag for simplicity), and move a point along that curve, and render the corresponding contend of the second plane. and there you have it, 4 spatial dimensions rendered in 2 spatial and 1 time.
You can also use the perspective rendering from 3d to 2d and a volume filling curve to make this work with up to 6 dimensions, provided you have good enough temporal resolution and/or good enough memory. Note that this include BOTH spatial and temporal dimensions.

Also, you if the geometry is simple enough along some dimensions, (just a thickness, or displacement) you can colour code them, combined with the above methods this should let you render AT LEAST 9d, possibly 12d or so, provided that shapes are suited for it.

We can't think in four spatial dimensions. We can only create allusions toward it. Since we can't perceive or feel anything in a fourth spatial dimension, our minds can't calculate what it would be like to do so. It's like imagining you have an arm growing out of your eyeballs. Can you feel with it? No, because it doesn't exist.

We can think in three spatial dimensions and one non-spatial one, time. Can you imagine something happening ten minutes from now? Then you are thinking in time.

/offtopic

Well anyway, this derailedness started from someone talking about immortality in alternate universes, which led to talks of extra dimensions.

I don't know why we would have an instinct that makes us believe in an afterlife, after all, wouldn't it make us work harder to survive if we thought there wasn't? It could be something that makes humans more likely to sacrifice themselves for other humans, but very few people would actually do that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:33:24 am by Psyco Jelly »
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2009, 03:56:46 pm »

I can feel through arms on my eyeballs, it's not that hard, tactile rendering is sometimes easier than visual for many things even.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2009, 04:02:36 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:30:22 pm by Stany »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 27, 2009, 04:27:41 pm »

I can feel through arms on my eyeballs

Me too man, me too. Now let me have a hit off that bong.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 27, 2009, 04:32:00 pm »

Forget that weaksauce stuff.

Jackrabbit, where are those chocolate surprises you mentioned.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 27, 2009, 04:38:27 pm »

I can feel through arms on my eyeballs, it's not that hard, tactile rendering is sometimes easier than visual for many things even.

Don't mock him. I think I see his mistake.

Actually thinking in four dimensions is like actually feeling through your arm-balls. Sure you can imagine what it would feel like to use your cornea-hands, but you can't actually do it unless you truly have eyball arms.

You can imagine what it would be like to think in four dimensions, but you can't. The closest you can do is think in three dimensions over the course of time, just like you can feel with your arm and imagine it as being connected to your eyeballs.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29