Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29

Author Topic: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife  (Read 30452 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2009, 12:47:32 pm »

I think we've strayed from the original debate, into philosophical questions on the nature of conciousness (which I'm fine with and enjoy) into questioning the actual practicalities of imprinting a mind onto a computer system and messing with said mind in order to do so. What we're talking about here are the limitations to technology which is so far out of our current reach that there is no way we could possibly know how it would be used or if its even possible in any form. There's not much point to discussing the limitations of imprinting a mind onto a theoretical computer system, using a theoretical method (and not even a fleshed out theory).
If you haven't noticed, we are actually talking about stuff I have already been doing for a while.
Also, technology is further along than most people think, there already exists stuff like antimatter drives, AI capable of producing original science, tuchable holograms, hiveminds, etc. it's just that they are less comon and less flashy than the stuff you see on startreck. I have found personality capture softwere dating from 10 years ago. (thou, it was based on some outdated physycological theories and thus mostly usless, but still.)

Also, if you really want to try and code your mind into a computer and feel that you have to train it to do so, why don't you just code a trained version of your mind, instead of trying to slice away sections of your psyche?
I'll do that to, to an extent. The culling dosn't actualy delete the information (emediatly), merly supress it. The reason it cant simply be done during the coding is that it is realy imposible to do in one fell swoop, and that you need to bugtest it by disabling it in the original to make sure it doesn't turn out to be more significant then you originaly thought.

"Transferring the mind" by transferring memory would just create another you, but it won't be YOU you. If you tried that, for example, your original consciousness would be annihilated, while creating a new one in a new mind. It'll be an Armok, but not the instance of Armok that posted the post I'm replying to. That one will be dead.

That's no different from your brain cells changing in configuration, or every particle in your body being replaced. The idea that your mind has some essence that will not be preserved by recreating your brain in every detail is...well, it's essentialism. But there is no essence. Your brain is constantly changing anyway; the you of now will be dead five minutes from now, not to mention five years, and will be annihilated in just the same sense that "you" would be if you "transferred" your mind.
You got it! It is incidentaly also why I cant wait for mainstream stuff to be invented; my body might be around in 30 years when that happens, but I certanly wont be. This is another reason to do the culling stuff even if you dont think it gives imortality; it halts personality drift and thus at least make you survive longer.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2009, 12:52:20 pm »

If you haven't noticed, we are actually talking about stuff I have already been doing for a while.
Also, technology is further along than most people think, there already exists stuff like antimatter drives, AI capable of producing original science, tuchable holograms, hiveminds, etc. it's just that they are less comon and less flashy than the stuff you see on startreck. I have found personality capture softwere dating from 10 years ago. (thou, it was based on some outdated physycological theories and thus mostly usless, but still.)

Pics or it didn't happen >_>

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2009, 01:01:53 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:50:04 pm by Stany »

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2009, 01:11:30 pm »

I don't fear computers, as for the most part, they just make calculations. To make a computer that thinks for itself truly means to make it have a personality which will override logic. Like People do.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2009, 01:29:47 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:49:29 pm by Stany »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2009, 02:05:59 pm »

You got it! It is incidentaly also why I cant wait for mainstream stuff to be invented; my body might be around in 30 years when that happens, but I certanly wont be. This is another reason to do the culling stuff even if you dont think it gives imortality; it halts personality drift and thus at least make you survive longer.

Huh? Personality drift? Your personality changing is also an essential part of being human.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2009, 02:32:57 pm »

Living forever at any means would entail a completely different psychological thinking. You would think in importances of actions rather than time. It wouldn't matter how long it took, just as long as you can derive the most benefit from it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2009, 02:44:46 pm »

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2006/antimatter_spaceship.html
http://www.insidetech.com/news/articles/4482-robot-scientist-able-to-conduct-research-by-itself
http://www.physorg.com/news168797748.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

Ok, so the antimatter was not as far as long as I remembered (I could have sworn that...), but I consider my statements correct.

Huh? Personality drift? Your personality changing is also an essential part of being human.
I have no wish to be human, in fact I loath humanity and find even being partially human terrifying and detestable.
You are correct in that the culling and condensing of the self I have described here will exclude you from humanity, I do not consider it a loss. Humans are abhorrent.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2009, 02:55:30 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:49:13 pm by Stany »

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2009, 03:13:12 pm »

Anonymous is a broken idea. They hardly ever agree. They rarely form around any cause. However, they do allow the constant expression of one's own thoughts onto others. And encourage one to do as they please in the sake of anonymity.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2009, 03:35:15 pm »

Why are you such moodkillers?

Besides, "original" is a relative term and Anonymous is a perfectly fine hivemind, just a bit apathetic and schizophrenic.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2009, 03:39:23 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:48:12 pm by Stany »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2009, 04:16:58 pm »

I'd say the most basic requirements for a hindmind is to understand what each others' thoughts intentions are.

Anon's thought patterns (if they even have one) are not understandable.

Also, I have to point these out:

The AI creating new science was programmed to do so, and the sciences were fed to him.

The touchable holograms are just a step above a nintendo wii. They use sound that human beings can't hear (but sound nontheless) to create an illusion of touch.

Anonymous being a hivemind is a meme that they made up. They can't even count to ten.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:22:01 pm by blah28722 »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2009, 04:20:25 pm »

A "hive mind" derives its name from a bee hive. Bees don't all share the same thoughts, to the extent they have thoughts - they just all have a common interest (helping the queen reproduce as much as possible) and behave as such.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2009, 04:38:53 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:45:56 pm by Stany »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29