Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29

Author Topic: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife  (Read 30427 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2009, 04:49:18 pm »

Anon is a mob. No need to look into it. It is a mob with the idea that somebody else will take the punishment for their actions. They don't care if the community is hurt by it.

A hive mind is a collective of separate minds(This is a very loose term I use, as I can't think of something that can describe computers, biological creatures or what have you) connected as to form a single entity through their individual smaller minds. Generally this only works if the individual is somewhat limited in thinking.

I would just like to emphasize that Anon is a selfish bastard with no redeeming qualities. While technically they are a community, they show none of the positive traits of any other communities.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2009, 05:05:39 pm »

Besides, "original" is a relative term and Anonymous is a perfectly fine hivemind, just a bit apathetic and schizophrenic.

Anonymous is pure, irredeemable evil. They are the only thing in this world that are the pure negation of being - it's like they're God, only complete arseholes.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2009, 05:14:03 pm »

I would not say evil(Unless one take the philosophy of extreme selfishness being the definition of evil) but very selfish and without a clue of what goes on with other people. They are brats with no sense of the human at the other end of the web.

Then again, that would work well for you Armok.

Edit: I apologize for this inflammatory statement. That last comment was based on how you voided the idea that you hate being human, and thus this inhuman thing would appeal to you. I wish not for fighting, as it is part of my humanity.

(That last comment is me rubbing things in a very contradictory manor.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:33:51 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2009, 05:16:59 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:45:50 pm by Stany »

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2009, 05:27:31 pm »

A hive mind is in it's original definition, a gigantic mass of minds interacting together to create the appearance of a singular gigantic mind. Pretty much any society falls under this from outside.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2009, 05:30:28 pm »

While we're at it, lemme wax poetic.

Anon is a gibbering, mutant thing with a hundred thousand eyes and a hundred thousand mouths. It never rests, never sleeps, never needs to take a breath and stop talking. It only watches - and judges.

Also it posts NSFW pictures.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2009, 05:32:14 pm »

It also attacks things that interest it at random.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2009, 05:39:59 pm »

It also attacks itself.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2009, 06:50:33 pm »

Anonymous is pure, irredeemable evil. They are the only thing in this world that are the pure negation of being - it's like they're God, only complete arseholes.

Though I have seen evidence of Anonymous taking action to attack corrupt institutions that take advantage of people, and trying to affect positive social change, they still are tempestuous, twisted, and selfish.

To me, what Anon embodies is what happens when we completely remove personal accountability from humanity... they are what would be left behind if there was no law, or no one to answer to but yourself. People say and sometimes are inspired to do things without regard for who it effects, purely for the enjoyment they can derive from the confusion, anger, and hurt they can cause, while they sit safe and comfortable behind their individual untouchability.

Anon is pure anti-social selfishness... In a word, I think Evil fits well.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:52:17 pm by Solifuge »

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2009, 06:54:28 pm »

It's strange how when so many humans gather like that, they let go of one of the things considered inimical to humanity: Personal Ethics. They are Amoral in the truest sense of the word.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2009, 06:57:23 pm »

yes, but hive or colony insects are highly coordinated and if they did have thoughts, I'm willing to bet that they would all share the same thought, coming from the queen.

Except that's telepathy, which is biologically impossible. If they did share thoughts, it wouldn't be any more than to the extent that humans do - through spread of memes, or whatever. Or just through very rigidly pre-programmed beliefs. They have methods of communication which allow them to be highly coordinated, but what makes them so "hiveish" is that a really weird reproductive system has made it so they are more genetically related to the queen's offspring than they would be to their own offspring, so kin selection ended up making most of them sterile and fully focused on serving the queen's offspring - with which they share, IIRC, 75% of their genes, as opposed to the 50% they would share with their own babies if they could have them.

Now, since bees in a hive somewhat resemble cells in a body, with the hive being a large organism in effect, you could argue that the actions of the bees are simply information processing - cognition - on an even higher level than brain function. But that's not the same as telepathy.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2009, 07:09:00 pm »

Getting on topic, here are some of my musings regarding Death:

As a scientist, I don't ascribe belief to things which I can't prove. On the reverse side, I don't automatically disbelieve in anything that I can't prove either... things like the Afterlife.

My only evidence is that when I die, I assume that I will be as I was before I was born; unaware of my nonexistance, but indifferent to it. Even so, I am forgetful, and I have no memory of many things that have happened to me through my life. As such, perhaps the time before my birth is just a time my consciousness can't remember.

My personal hope is for something like Reincarnation. I like the idea of my consciousness being recycled, getting opportunities to experience  a great deal of different things. I may not remember these things while I am alive, but the idea of my consciousness enduring is something I find comforting, if nothing else.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2009, 07:14:45 pm »

I'm pretty much like him, except for the reincarnation thing.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2009, 08:34:56 pm »

"Anonymous" is a group of 14 year olds who think they are the coolest thing on the internet. Musing anymore upon this is...incredibly stupid.

After life... I'm going to be a ghost, and haunt stuff. I'm going to haunt everything in the world at least once. Gonna be a travelling ghost. That's what the afterlife is. Ghosts.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2009, 08:36:46 pm »

Nah, maybe there are some ghosts, but not everyone turns out to be a ghost. Otherwise, we'd be covered in ectoplasm 24/7.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29