Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29

Author Topic: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife  (Read 30543 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife
« Reply #195 on: August 26, 2009, 08:19:55 pm »

What Armok said does make sense. It's a difficult concept to wrap your head around though (I've been thinking of it for like 30 minutes now).

I'm going to butcher what I'm trying to explain horribly, but here goes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, I definitely butchered that. Read at your own discretion. It might cause loss of IQ or "whuh?". I'm putting it in spoilers so no one reads it without knowing what they're getting into.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 26, 2009, 10:29:17 pm »

I'm dumbfolded by the fact people didn't know this.

I've read it plenty of times, but my ability to understand science extends down through about molecular biology and then craps out..by the time you get to physics, I might as well be retarded.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2009, 01:52:02 am »

*sigh* Does none here know a bit of relativity? The speed of light is basicaly defined as a 45 degree angle, hence the distance through the fourth dimension to some point in your past is abaut eual to the distance light could have travelled in that time. So yea, more like nonexistant lines.

The speed of light is NOT arbitrary in any way what so ever, it's the least arbitary thing outside of pure math, and it is more or less from this discovering this alone that Einstein gained his gargantuan fame. The speed of light is C, it governs matter and energy, time and space... I'm dumbfolded by the fact people didn't know this.

I laughed at dumbfolded, if only to shake the nagging feeling that everyone is laughing at me. I don't know any of this stuff. My scientific background is so basic if you shoved a white light in my face and said 'how many colors make up white light' I'd probably say 'white'.

I feel dumb.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2009, 03:36:01 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:09:53 pm by Stany »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2009, 04:06:20 am »

Basically, you would see how a god sees. Which would shatter you.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2009, 04:15:56 am »

It is difficult to see the entirety of a three-dimensional object at a single time. Truth be told the human perception of the world is not much more than two-dimensional. It is simple enough to imagine being able to casually browse through a things history by looking at it, to see its past and future states at will. And to see an entirety at once in four dimensions is not much beyond seeing its entirety in two. True vision is not to see the entirety of a life at once, but to see the entirety of all things, with little concerns for borders such as the length of a road, the edge of a nation, the shape of a pumpkin, or the duration of a life...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2009, 04:28:33 am »

From what I've heard, we perceive the first three dimensions properly (not fully, but properly), and perceive the 4th dimension only in tiny fragments.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2009, 04:33:52 am »

If you throw a ball in the air you can guess where it will be when you catch it. Three dimensional objects don't make much sense until your brain translates the information. I would say that the perception is pretty similar really. And just as you can't see the future you can't say for sure whether or not there is a large eight-legged protrusion sticking out the back of your monitor...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2009, 06:14:27 am »

I dont quite get why peaple are having truble thinking in 4d, it takes more power, yes, but not that much more and only because more dimentions always take up more power. It might be hard to render in realtime, yes, but that shouldn't prevent thinking about it.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2009, 06:31:58 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:06:04 pm by Stany »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2009, 06:33:55 am »

That...no way I mean, how can you do that? Are you honestly capable of imagining all four dimensions, what does that even looks like?
I take it you have never gotten high.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2009, 06:35:19 am »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:10:17 pm by Stany »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2009, 06:39:29 am »

That...no way I mean, how can you do that? Are you honestly capable of imagining all four dimensions, what does that even looks like?
I take it you have never gotten high.

I can attest that that actually doesn't help, if it's something like marijuana.

I dunno about LSD though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2009, 06:41:11 am »

Actually, I was more thinking chocolate, wrapped in paper, laced with formaldehyde and LSD.

My friend invented it, called them chocolate surprises. They were surprising indeed. I bet he didn't expect the funeral afterwards.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:44:06 am by Jackrabbit »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2009, 06:45:24 am »

Actually, I was more thinking chocolate, wrapped in paper, laced with formaldehyde and LCD.

My friend invented it, called them chocolate surprises. They were surprising indeed. I bet he didn't expect the funeral afterwards.

LCD? The things you use in TV screens? :D

Why would he ingest formaldehyde? That's incredibly toxic.

(Yikes, did it really kill him?)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 29