Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29

Author Topic: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife  (Read 30450 times)

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
Re: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2009, 10:28:52 pm »

That's rather vague. In face, one could sat that it is so vauge as to be completely meaningless.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2009, 10:45:53 pm »

To the average person that holds meaning; albeit, it's just what you perceive it as.
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2009, 10:51:03 pm »

Some would say that what you want is not happiness, and that getting what you need is different. Getting what you want instead of what you need is going to leave one unfulfilled and depressed.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2009, 10:54:18 pm »

Some would say that what you want is not happiness, and that getting what you need is different. Getting what you want instead of what you need is going to leave one unfulfilled and depressed.

I agree with you but for example, in my case, what I want is knowledge, power and to defy ignorance. Just getting any of those three makes me happy. If I am ignorant, helpless and unwittingly advocate retardation (as in, stupid, not handicapped) then I will most likely be sad and/or angry. RAAAEEG!
DF has left the game.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2009, 10:56:04 pm »

Eh, sometimes what you need is remarkably close to what you want.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2009, 11:00:21 pm »

At times, what you want is what you need:

I'm thirsty! I need/want water!
I'm hungry! I need/want food!
I'm horny! I need/want transvestite hooker!
DF has left the game.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2009, 01:45:42 am »

Sometimes what you need doesn't exist, what you want doesn't exist either, and won't make you happy, but at least you can try for it...

People talk about digitizing one's brain to live forever. But, the digitized version of yourself would be inherently a separate person. We can't move your conscious self. We could copy it, but the computer wouldn't be you.
That assumes that you go from one person with one body to two people with one body each. If you instead assume that you become one person with two bodies then losing the original is the same as losing a limb. Awkward, but no cause for metaphysical horror...

It's extremely hard to copy the mess that a human mind is, but one can change their mind so it becomes transferable.
If you change your mind then you have lost your former state and arguably lost your 'self'. This is why I detest the thought of heaven, it just doesn't work without messing up the individual who 'goes there'...

I have no wish to be human, in fact I loath humanity and find even being partially human terrifying and detestable.
You are correct in that the culling and condensing of the self I have described here will exclude you from humanity, I do not consider it a loss. Humans are abhorrent.
Try as you might it would seem that you are still significantly human, and if you manage to forget about being human you might realise that you can't completely dismiss your humanity without also losing much of what you value about yourself. Letting humanity dictate your goals will blind you to your own ambitions...

There really doesn't seem to be any current means of discerning the facts of death, so I suggest that people simply choose whichever assumptions suit them, but I would suggest checking that the theory doesn't have any glaring holes.

Assuming that you simply stop would imply that you don't care about it any more, which comes out fairly neutral.

Assuming a judgement leads to needing to follow arbitrary rules in life to achieve happiness in death. Fairly good but has a high cost in term of limiting freedom and a complete absence of personal morality...
Also, it involves a certain amount of horror, if it is a place then it probably isn't feasible, if it is a state of being then you probably wouldn't recognise yourself...

Simple perpetuation could be frustrating, but also kind of exciting. But as with all excitement it will probably wear off, so expect to visit the wonders of the world, take a tour through Area 51, and then spend the rest of eternity haunting a TV...

I don't really see the point of reincarnation, I guess in the future the technology might exist to browse through your past lives, but you probably won't care to. It does offer that warm, fuzzy, 'you get to remain an active part of the world without violating the known rules' feeling, which has much to recommend it...

You actually do live forever, every time someone dies they simply split off from your reality and remained in one that they didn't die in. Life is pretty fragile, so the odds of being in a reality with someone particularly old are quite low and survival rates would be statistically consistent so it may go unnoticed, but just living to be 1000s of years old could lead you to pick up some rather nasty chronic conditions...

Bad judgement: god is out to get you and your only hope is to gain enough spiritual awareness to fight back. After you cut off gods head with a chainsaw you lead an army of space marines into the warp and become a god-emperor...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2009, 01:51:11 am »

What if we go to a place that isn't exactly heaven or hell, but is just wildly different from anything in this reality?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2009, 01:54:15 am »

Then it may as well be here for all we know.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2009, 01:58:53 am »

It may eve be a form of re-incarnation where you move from timeline to timeline.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2009, 03:37:14 am »

What I said was this: If you think the afterlife is devoid of a permanent state of happiness, that you just watch the world unconsciously, if that is what makes you happy, then that would be your afterlife. Everybody wins. If you are christian - then you see heaven. Etc. What I am saying is, whatever you see the afterlife being, it is the afterlife you get.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2009, 03:45:13 am »

That's also good, and I'd be happy with that as well. But it would get lonely, wouldn't it if everyone is in their own personal one.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2009, 03:54:35 am »

And if you don't really think about it you end up in a poorly defined chaos, kind of like being suspended in a non-existent opaque blurred jelly...
Read the First Post!

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2009, 04:00:21 am »

Maybe you're given some time to think about it?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2009, 04:15:10 am »

So your entire world would shift to your whims? Complete freedom is a nice thought, but it isn't possible if you have to share it. Limits or loneliness? Corruption or the complete absence of mystery? What if you expect to cease to exist?
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29