Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: RTD The darkness [ROUND 2 done]  (Read 7916 times)

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
RTD The darkness [ROUND 2 done]
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:59:51 pm »

this is my first rtd so il try to be as good as possible

Rules :

God moves (such as, "I stop the darkness") and infinite pockets result in insta-failures (your pockets will rip and you lose your inventory in the latter case, and in the former, nothing happens

In this RTD, you have two action types; Free Actions and Standard Actions. You can perform as many Free Actions as you like (within reason) and there are no rolls involved; you just succeed (or fail if it's impossible). Free Actions include (but are not limited to) communicating, moving around, picking things up, dropping things and so on.

Standard Actions are the meat of RTD; you may perform one Standard Action per turn and they require a roll to see how well you do, the rolls are as follows;

0 - Epic Fail. You're probably dead, and you might have taken somone else with you. Only achievable with a penalty.
1 - Big Fail. That didn't work, and you just made things worse as well!
2 - Normal Fail. That didn't work, try again.
3 - Success! Just.
4 - Comfortable Success. You did what you wanted to and you learned a little bit in the process (+1 skillpoint).
5 - Great Success. Excellent! Not only did you succeed, but you did even better than you expected to! (+1 skillpoint)
6 - Incredible Success. You went above and beyond the call of duty and did something truely superhuman. The earth trembles at your approach. (+2 skillpoints)
7 - Epic Success. The laws of physics hold no power over you! The best possible outcome occurs, and you're loving it. (+2 skillpoints) Only achievable with a bonus.
8 - Overshot. Whoops, you went a wee bit too far. The result is definitely what you wanted to, but with some unintentional side-effects; like you targeted the enemy cultist and blew up the entire city. (+3 skillpoints) Only achievable with a big bonus.

Anything below 0 or above 8 is treated as a 0 or 8 respectively.

You can get bonuses from many sources, including magical buffs, skill training (see below), good equipment and random circumstance.

Skills are another part of RTD; Skills can be anything, if you focus on it you can become skilled in opening doors. There's no list of skills and the only way to see if you can learn a skill is to try it.

Skills have 12 levels, each level requires more XP than the previous level.

Dabbling - 1
Novice - 2 (+1 bonus if the die rolls a natural 1)
Competant - 4 (Static +1 to all rolls)
Skilled - 7 (Static +1 to all rolls, successes are improved.)
Adept - 11 (Static +1 to all rolls, extra +1 if the dice rolls a natural 1, successes are improved.)
Talented - 16 (Static +2 to all rolls, successes are improved)
Professional - 22 (Static +2 to all rolls, successes are greatly improved.)
Expert - 29 (You may choose to take a +1, +2 or +3 bonus to your rolls, successes are greatly improved.)
Master - 37 (You may choose to take a +1, +2 or +3 bonus to your rolls, successes are substantially improved.)
High Master - 46 (Static +3 bonus to all rolls, successes are substantially improved. You cannot Overshoot.)
Grand Master - 56 (Static +4 bonus to all rolls, successes are massively improved. You may choose to Overshoot, or not.)
Ledgendary - 75 (You choose which number you roll from 0 to 8.)

You get bonuses at different skill levels as well. Note that each bonus replaces any previous bonuses.

WEWNDS! Invariably you will meet people who are not very nice and who will try to hurt you, and whom you will try to hurt. You will be engaged in conflict and some of you will be hurt. These are the wound levels;

Lightly Wounded - Don't worry about it. You'll recover with a short rest and take no penalites. Just try not to get hit again.
Moderately Wounded - Ow. You take a -1 penalty to any rolls you make with this body part and may suffer some extra penalties if the part is important (like your brain). You'll heal after you take a fairly long rest.
Broken - Aaah! -2 penalty to any rolls made with this body part. Can only apply to brittle parts (like bones). Worse still, this will not heal by itself; you're going to need medical attention!
Mangled - Damaged beyond recognition. You'll be copping at least a -3 penalty to anything you try and use with this limb, and will probably be suffering a butt-ton of extra effects. Like Broken, this will not heal by itself.
Lopped Off - It's gone! Holy hell it's gone! You can't do anything that requires this part, and if it's an important part (like, say, your head) you are now dead. Worse still this cannot be healed by mundane means, and will require at least an Incredible success to fix!

There are also a number of status effects which may vary from time to time, i'll explain each effect when it turns up.

For Fighting, i first roll to see if you are successful in making your attack, the enemy then gets a roll to see if he dodges, if he doesn't, i make a third roll to see how much damage you do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The darkness is coming, it is all consuming.
Nothing exists in the darkness.
If the darkness gets you, you die.
The players' task in this RTD is to either escape from or stop the darkness. However, the players must figure out how to do this.

Round 1 will start at the end of a massive, well-lit room: the other end is so far you cannot see it. However, the lights at the far end of the room are flickering and dying. The room is empty except for the light sources embedded in the ceiling 100 feet above you, and there are 3 doors at this end of the room, all leading somewhere.
You don't know where you are, or what your capabilities are (you have to try things out to see if they work - the dice will decide. Note: Magic and high-tech devices exist in this world).

All you know to do is to fear the darkness.

--------------------------------------------

Current Players [10 max] [5 minimun]:
Tehstefan
dwarmin
Toonyman
Luke_Prowler
Zchris13
GruffyBears
Katsuun
Diakron
Frelock
Blah28

Waiting list:
RAM

Death list:

to sign in all you must type is im in

P.S i wil update once all players have posted a action
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:27:58 am by Jetsquirrel »

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
Re: RTD The darkness
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 02:03:35 pm »

I would like to join! Seems fun.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:13:42 pm »

I'm in.

To save time...

Action

Run down the hallway and enter the door furthest to the right.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:19:37 pm »

your in but you dont know that there is a door there -.-
you cant see properly there

oh wait there is my bad
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:41:34 pm by Jetsquirrel »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:21:16 pm »

I'll join.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: RTD The darkness [7 More free places!!!!]
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:24:13 pm »

I'll join.

Action:
Rock Out.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: RTD The darkness [6 More free places!!!!]
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 03:45:15 pm »

Edited Action
Huh? Are the doors inside the darkness? Is there anything fatal between me and the hypothetical doors whose existence hasn't been confirmed officially but has in your intro? If not, travel in their general direction!

If something would kill me attempting to reach the doors, go to sleep and wait for plot exposition, or deus ex machina.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 03:57:18 pm »

nononono i just happended to forget this
The room is empty except for the light sources embedded in the ceiling 100 feet above you, and there are 3 doors at this end of the room, all leading somewhere.

you can run to the door

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 04:15:29 pm »

im in

i search myself to see if i have a flashlight tucked somewhere.
Back to Mafia with me!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 04:49:07 pm »

Yes please.
Can I be in?
ACTION:

ICE MAJICS
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:38:53 am by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 05:03:21 pm »

I try a different door, careful not to do anything that may kill me, such as stand in the shadows too long.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 06:30:20 pm »

I'm in.

Action:I'll enter a door
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 06:53:19 pm »

NON-FAIL EDIT:

Kat was destroyed by antimatter in another universe, and this is apparently his hell/heaven.

I'll join, and I try to take one of the lightbulbs in our area as my action.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:39:46 am by Katsuun »
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 08:05:03 pm »

They are 100 ft up.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 08:06:03 pm »

They are 100 ft up.

He must have some really long legs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5