Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Captured 'Goblin' Dwarves - What should I do with them?  (Read 5815 times)

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Captured 'Goblin' Dwarves - What should I do with them?
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:44:02 pm »

The last few goblin ambushes were led by a few Dwarves, that walked into my cage traps.

I know what to do with caught goblins (I'm not sure yet if I'll use water or magma in my drowning chamber/pit, but those are details), but I'm not entirely sure about the dwarves...

For starters, I'm going to assume that I can't rehabilitate them ("Tame large animal"?  :D). I noticed that enemy dwarves seem to get buried in my Burial designated coffins just like my own dwarves would, so now I'm wondering if they might, for instance, also cause unhappy thoughts if I drown them in liquid stone.

Gameplay related issues aside, there's also the matter of style: What's the Dwarven way to get rid of a Dwarf?
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Captured 'Goblin' Dwarves - What should I do with them?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 02:07:06 pm »

For their disposal, think of them as nobles without skills, friends and mandates, sure, they get buried, but they have no friends, skills, or uses besides getting killed(Arena fighting?).
Dwarves will only get a small bad thought when you leave them around to rot I believe, but with the average fortress you can easily put together a coffin with all the junk rock left from mining.

No taming them, once a dwarf joins the goblins, they are gone forever.

A true dwarven death would, by my standards, be closed into their own tomb, which then fills with magma.
For things you can't get into their own tomb, just regular death by magma will do.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:09:31 pm »

Let them have arena match with a opponent of your choosing, if they win they get to live within a special sealed of biodome.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:43:42 pm »

Aww, I just found out you apparently can't throw dwarves down pits...

I'm going to have to make a special area for the dwarven prisoners. Might as well go the Arena route.
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:45:27 pm »

'Goblin' Dwarf vs. the SoF?

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:56:48 pm »

As far as I'm aware there are no SoF's to be found on this site, but we'll see if any megabeasts stumble upon my ≡Green Glass Terrarium≡ traps.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 03:01:59 pm »

'Goblin' Dwarf Wrestler vs. Bronze Collusus! Who will win?  :P

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 05:10:42 pm »

I actually did that once with a regular goblin wrestler, just thought to clear out some cages, but it managed to break off one of the collossus' arms, and then the next 8th-next wrestler that got thrown in took the other arm.

Bye bye megabeast.

As for pitting them, try putting their cage on a single floor tile supported only by a support. (Access over a grate), link a lever to both the cage and support, when pulled, the dwarf(Or whatever is in the cage) will drop down as if it was pitted at the spot the cage was.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 05:30:13 pm »

Designate a dump zone over magma.
Have the cage dumped.
Re-designate the dump zone you had before.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 05:36:36 pm »

Hmm. Once a dwarf has their kid stolen, they get that "lost a child to tragedy" thing in their profile, right? Or was it something specific to the kidnapping, can't remember.

Anyway, cue forward in time until the kid comes back as an ambusher and dies, do the parent's again get unhappy thoughts of their lost kid coming back with vengeance, and dying horrible to the corridor of ≡Iron Spears≡?

For amusement, build them a mini-fort. The Goblin Dwarves, that is. They could have tiny little bedrooms, farms and everything, along of course the murderous rage towards the rest of your fort. Then maybe one day that guy who berserk's from having his one masterwork engraving floored over will go and break the single door keeping the Gobwarves from the rest of the fort.

Hilarity ensues.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 07:27:09 pm »

I would LOVE a captured dwarf; I've never got one! A dwarf has only once attacked my fort and I killed him. Anyways, I wouldn't kill him. I'd either keep him around as an executioner or make a special prison for them to live in. If you had multiple captured dwarves, could they have children? That might be something interesting to look for. Do they need food to eat by the way?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 08:44:22 pm »

I would LOVE a captured dwarf; I've never got one! A dwarf has only once attacked my fort and I killed him. Anyways, I wouldn't kill him. I'd either keep him around as an executioner or make a special prison for them to live in. If you had multiple captured dwarves, could they have children? That might be something interesting to look for. Do they need food to eat by the way?

I've not let them out of their cages yet, so I'm not sure.
I'm not a modder so I don't know all the raws by heart, but from a quick peek at the raws it looks like goblins, like dwarves, don't have the 'NO_EAT'/'NO_DRINK' flags. Yet the goblins in my pit have been roaming around for a few years now and they're still not dead. So my guess is the dwarves don't need food any more now that they're invading, just like the goblins don't seem to be dying from thirst or hunger.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:45:08 pm by GoneWacko »

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 04:06:25 am »

I've never once cared to build an arena.. I just haven't seen the appeal up until now.  But savage goblin-raised dwarves make about the most awesome gladiators I can think of.  If I had them, I'd be inspired to build an arena/dungeon where they are free to roam but from which they cannot escape.  I'd pretend my dwarves bet on who wins when captured elves/kobolds/whatever-they-will-fight gets tossed into the pit with them.

Another thing I've never made, since I've never played a fort far enough - zoo.  Is there any way to use these savage dwarves as a zoo piece?  I'd do it even if it caused unhappy thoughts.  :p

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 04:17:01 am »

All cages with creatures in them can be used as a zoo-exhibit piece. Then anyone with the liking towards the caged creature gets a happy though, although I think other people can get happy thoughts as well from 'em, but most likely it won't be as big of a boost.

Anyway.

Can dwarves have the liking towards dwarves? Would the person be ecstatic all the time from seeing beloved creatures 24/7?

Would he/she be the best mayor ever?