Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: my first megabeast  (Read 3643 times)

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
my first megabeast
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:27:22 pm »

I recently got dwarf economy, and things were going great an army of archers 20 strong, 5 strong swordsdorfs, 5 strong axedorfs. then an Air elemental has arrived (Civ forge), i look out side and the map is on fire my archers are trying their hardest to kill the thing. i lost 6 archers, 3 axedorfs, and 20 other people, this may not really be epic but it was awesome, anyone else want to share their storys?
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: my first megabeast
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 03:48:55 pm »

Did you know that Titans will path down channels? I didn't.

They're FAST by the way.

So the little bugger appears on the map, I raise my drawbridge, and set my archers to active duty, no biggy right?

He lobs himself down my empty "moat" and runs into my fort, runs through the barracks, around my refuse rooms, and into my meeting area.

He then proceded to fight the entire military and fortress guard, fully clad in steel, for about 30 seconds.

Nobody died but injuries were had and half my fortress was coated in titan blood...
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 04:42:14 pm »

the air elemental flew over my walls and burninated the archers. i knew i needed a roof. My army is currently crippled and i'm not sure i can survive a siege.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 08:36:48 pm »

The first megabeast I ever got at my first successful fort (which is still going along just fine, 209 dwarves and 20 years) was a dragon. First thing I did was check it out and it had a bruised spine and was missing an eye.  It attacked the Human caravan right as I finished buying from them and it let loose flames that left the humans mostly unscathed (it only killed 3 before it was downed by stonefall traps and crossbows) but it melted almost everything I bought  :'(

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:02:13 pm »

I just got my first one the other day as well. It was a Titan.

My main gate has a big wall, and a squiggly walkway that marches them back and forth in front of my archers, and a drawbridge i can pull up to force the squiggly path. There is a weapon trap with 5 glass spikes every other square, on the squiggly path.

The Titan came sprinting across the map to my front gate, said "RAAAAWR!!!!" stepped on the spikes, got knocked into the trench, came back around the front, went "RAWWWR!", stepped on the first trap and immediately died.

I was utterly unimpressed, but DID get another 20 bone arrows out of the deal.

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 01:42:43 am »

My first Megabeast was a deadly Hydra! Or atleast I assume it was deadly as the only thing it did was talk directly into a cage trap. Maybe it was lonley and wanted a friend...
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 10:13:20 am »

My first megabeast was a shadow dragon or something like that (Civ forge) unfortunatly or fortunatly depending on how you see it the mod had a bug in it and the dragon had no lungs! Much confusion was had as I boarded up by fort waiting to be incinerated only to get the message "Dragon has sufficated"
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 01:58:08 pm »

My first one was just a titan who walked into a single stone trap and died instantly.

My second one, a dragon, was the interesting one. He charged through my underground tunnels straight towards my hall-o-traps, then he mysteriously stopped about 20 tiles short, turned around, and left. He wandered the map for a week or so while my dwarves cowered inside, destroying various hatches in various abandoned tunnels, but never approaching the main fortress. He then proceeded to jump into the nearby volcano and, I don't know, live there I guess. ??? I allowed my dwarves outside a while afterward and he never attacked them, even as they passed by the volcano to pick up items.
The guy lived there for about a month or two until some wild animal or something disturbed him, at which point he finally made his way back to the fortress, got hit on the head with a rock, and died instantly.

It's a shame really, I would have loved to see him stay and make a home there, and possibly welcome a few goblin sieges to the fort.
You know, I may have to take that to the suggestions forum someday, megabeasts making semi-permanent homes in local features...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 03:33:17 pm »

Mine was a dragon. It torched the military and the participants in the entrance dance, before someone finally shot it to death while on fire.

Sadly, stationing the flaming squads in the flood I'd caused a year or so ago didn't put them out.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 06:56:01 pm »

my fortress recover until i had my first adamantite encounter YAY! 5 minutes later...
Urist Mcminer: Look a strange room in the adamantite!
Urista Mcminer: whats all this white goo doing here...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

you know this has been a fortress of firsts, First economy, First mega beast, First Hammering, First HFS, sadly no first king, didn't survive that long.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 01:53:45 am »

Mine was a dragon, in a community game with some friends.  It easily burned through several wrestler champions until getting knocked unconscious and shot to death, causing all sorts of havoc.

I got a second dragon that same year, it managed to run up and knock a statue over before getting both its lungs shot out by the first bolt fired (from a recruit, even).  Huh.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 02:39:30 am »

My first Megabeast was a Bronze Collossus who showed up and walked right through a dozen weapon traps loaded with obsidian swords before mauling my entire fort.

I later found out that was because i'd forgotten to desize and dedamage block him (i'd jacked the size up to 200 and the damblock to 1000 to help megabeasts survive worldgen) That was, uh, interesting.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 03:25:05 am »

Mine was a dragon, in a community game with some friends.  It easily burned through several wrestler champions until getting knocked unconscious and shot to death, causing all sorts of havoc.

I got a second dragon that same year, it managed to run up and knock a statue over before getting both its lungs shot out by the first bolt fired (from a recruit, even).  Huh.

"Muhahaha! I, Ostro Killmurder the Dragon, have toppled your statue! FEEEEEAAAAR ME."
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 04:35:11 am »

i post a lot about my disapointment with megabeasts, i should give some of the mods a go.

ive tried to catch nearly every dragon i get so i could tame them and use them for pet and goblin disposal, however not a single one has actually made it to my trapped fort entrance alive. from the one that swam in the magma pipe, to the one that appeared next to a legendary hunter and was taken down with a single shot to the brain, to the countless numbers that arrive missing toes and constantly passing out.

ive had one run all the way across the map to a tiny closed up access hatch to an underground water source, climb all the way to the bottom and start breaking floodgates. it drowned. the nearest to catching one ive had was a dragon who made it into the courtyard of my massive castle, only to somehow fall into the well while trying to break it, then get stuck in the moat for a full year before i got tired of my haulers taking fright and had the crossbow recruits use it for targed practice.

so yeah. disapointed with the vanilla megabests so far. though those air elementals that can actually fly sound ok, i may give civ forge a go.

Lecithin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 02:56:13 pm »

My first (and only) megabeast so far was a fun one. My fortress had just been ambushed twice in a row, and while my military sustained no casualties, all of them decided to go eat/drink/sleep because they'd been fighting for about a month. Then the titan came. Now, being my first megabeast, I was worried. I put my entire military on duty again and got ready. The first thing I learned?

Titans can MOVE.

The titan just rockets over to my entrance. Unfortunately, my entire military was STILL eating/sleeping/drinking, save for my military's leader, the champion wrestler "JumpSex". He was clad in masterwork iron chain, a bit of steel plate here and there, and he wears a golden artifact left bracer. While the titan is busy mauling my war dogs to death, JumpSex, "The Man With The Golden Lower Forearm" bolts out of my entranceway (a good 20 tiles away from where he was stationed) and in one hit, knocks the titan unconscious. He then proceeds to bludgeon the titan to death with what I found out later was a iron short sword (which JumpSex barely knows how to use).

Naturally, JumpSex now has his own room at the top of the tower made entirely out of gold.
Pages: [1] 2 3