Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: my first megabeast  (Read 3641 times)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: my first megabeast
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 09:00:34 pm »

My first was a dragon. I was really excited and ready to capture it and start on my dragon breeding program (get male and female, turn off megabeast and turn on breeding, then tame their children).

I wasn't sure why it was taking so long, so I went and checked. Turns out it was missing an entire leg. Fortunately, before this terrifying amputee could pass out in my courtyard and distract my workers a goblin ambush beat the unconscious lizard to death with hammers.

Anticlimactic.

balath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 09:31:22 pm »

My first was an uninjured Red Dragon named Kara SomethingBadass the Dorfkiller.

I couldn't get my drawbridges up fast enough because she spawned right next to the back door (which was necessary for harvesting a huge forest early in the game).  She bolted through and started attacking my forging operation.  I had 3 or 4 champion wrestlers in no-quality armor layered to plate mail at the time, so they got put to the test.  That's when I learned that dragon breath disintegrates dorfs.  Looking at the wound screen of my last champion (just before he died) he'd had three limbs blown clean off and his head was "broken."  I drafted my woodcutters at that point.

After a long dance around my workshops, someone killed the beast.  I'm not sure who.  I guess whoever did it received mortal wounds in the process, because no one got credit for the kill.

As underwhelming as my second red dragon was (who also showed up healthy and named), I guess we just forget how devastating megabeasts can be to a young-ish fortress if they get inside.  To this day there's a note next to their tombs that reads "This is why we keep the back door locked."
What would you do if seven small, beared men marched into your home and started to dig out a city in your basement?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 11:12:53 pm »

My first megabeast was a dragon. As soon as he came, I ordered all dwarves inside. 4 of my fishers were pretty close to him, but a cat was closer. He chased it around for a while. My dwarves all got inside. After about 5 days in game time, he burnt the cat then ran for the fort. He subsequently got caught in a cage, tamed, then placed in a dragon fire pillbox with floodgates that I could activate with a lever that covered each side of the box, so if a goblin squad was coming from the south, I pulled a lever and the floodgates on the southside of the pillbox opened. I eventually rage-quit that fort because I had no magma, Clowns, or anything really.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 03:27:40 am »

I got a colossus that lost a leg in worldgen.

"Fear me! For I, Titan McBronzy have slain — whoa!"
*falls over*

I left it there rather than send in the military.
Of course, it died when a rather unfortunate incident flooded the world with magma.
Including my fort.
Thankfully, it all spilled down the central staircase, so I still had the back half of my fort.
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 04:34:43 am »

Bah, I need some Mods. First megabeast was a titan, who managed to chase a woodcutter around, then get caged. I was going to use it for an arena, but the fire demons got me. (I had channelled a long windy path for them to walk across, and forgot that they could fly. I also forgot that it's always party time for siege operators.)

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 08:00:24 am »

Mine was a female undead titan that had no clothes that showed right before an immigration that included a Baron and his wife and few useful dwarfs that I needed.  She some how beat them there and got passed my unfinished wall and battled my army long enough for the migrants came around for the first view of their new home, a nude undead woman ripping an axedwarf in half.  She died(?) after a few more rounds of battle as my migrants just sat there watching this.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 08:17:39 am »

I had my first megabeast a few days ago. A titan. I ordered all soldiers outside the gates, and send my best warrior out to greet him. My champion had 101 kills (Including a rhesus macaque) and I thought he'd take care of that titan in no time.
My warrior was wielding two obsidian swords in the right hand, and a steel shield in the left.
He was also fully plated in steel. No artifacts.
The titan met him in one on one combat. They wrestled, and it took both his weapons, my champion received red wounds to several body parts.
Then, I saw blood started spattering all over the place.. My champion had ripped the throat out of the titan!
It began walking, it reached the ~7th tile, and then it died. My champion then lied in a pool of his own blood, mixed with the titans.
Now, a game year later, my champion is still in his bed. With only 2 red wounds left. He also didn't receive any injuries to his spine.
I have made him a huge mausoleum and other nice stuff. When he dies, he shall be honoured properly.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 12:28:21 pm »

My first Megabeast was my first game that i had a fully functioning town.civilization was at war with every race so im versing like 12 races at once.(DF genesis +races) All I had at the time was 4 elite hammerdwarf (full steel armor) and some Crossbowmen recruits with no skill at all. when a Beholder Hive mother came (i modded the game to make all beholders Megabeast.) I Paused my game to look at the mega beast i was viewing, It had no injuries and has 1277 kills to its name, so i am thinking O SHIT!.I put my new meeting zone in a room in the center of it called the "panic room" as everyone gushed to it, i activated all my millitary. and sent my hammermen to the main entryway. as the Beholder was coming a recruit was running back into the town and managed to get 3 feet from the beholder, he had wooden arrows and a high quality crossbow, to my surprise, the recruit shot at the beholder hive mother and took it out in 3 shoots of wooden arrow, which majorly sucked because i wanted to see the beholder tear the shred out of my remaining fort. But right after that a army of Theutons spawned on the exact edge the recruit killed the beholder and the Theuton bowmen picked him off, and my hammerdwarf, and the rest of my army. but i sealed the panic room and now im surviving by a 3x3 farm where i just view other races run around my fort and dwarven caravans dishing it out.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 2 [3]