Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: my first megabeast  (Read 3640 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Re: my first megabeast
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 04:06:40 pm »

Megabeasts remind of "Hotel California"

"In the masters chambers, they gather for the feast. They stab with their steely +elf bone bolts+ but they just can't kill the beast!"
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 05:10:11 pm »

Except that stabbing a vanilla megabeast with steely bolts would pretty much kill it.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 04:19:11 am »

Lessee, my first megabeast. Vanilla DF.

Goblin ambush repelled successfully, with my tiny military taking heavy losses due to my own traps. Almost immediately afterwards, a dragon came and my remaining marksdwarf went berserk. Caught the dragon in a cage trap, tried to tame it to subdue my berserk soldier, released it before remembering that named creatures can't be truly tamed, leading to tragedy.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 06:45:29 am »

To quote Guerilla Medic, of Boatmurdered:

All burn.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 11:51:49 am »

Well... I was quite suprised when a dragon came.
After hearing a few things about dragons in DF I thought "Damn... Im toasted"
So I activated my marksmandorfs, stationed them on my walls, and I waited...
The suprise was, that the damn dragon didnt even used his fire breath... Hell! He didnt even got near my fortress because of the marksdorfs.

And everyone lived happy for ever, and ever... I mean.. Untill the next megabeast would show up

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 12:09:42 pm »

first megabeast was a dragon. killed a few dwarfs before it was killed by two legendary wrestlers.
the second megabeast i got was a hydra. it was on a map with goblin towers. hydra walks up to the demon. hydra dies. lol.
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Catfish, friend of Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 12:14:33 pm »

Not had a Megabeast yet. But then I've never had a fort last that long. My longest one so far is the one I have going on now. Moving on into it's forth year, just got my first Economy/Baroness (+consort)/Hammerer. Also first siege. :D
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

The catfish, deadlier than hippos, and piranhas, crocodiles, and sharks.

Kyrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 03:46:31 pm »

First megabeast I had was a hydra. It took out the poor woodcutter I drafted to keep it occupied while the proper army ran over, but it fell quickly once the guys with training got there. Pretty underwhelming. It did come to my fort missing an eye, but it never seemed too hampered by it(then again, when you have 14 eyes, losing one doesn't mean much).

Second megabeast was a dragon. Despite the hydra letting me know that yes, vanilla megabeasts are exactly as underwhelming as many complain they are, I was still worried since dragons have a habit of breathing fire at creatures, which run around and set fire to other things.....
Somehow, absolutely nothing caught on fire. Not even the war dog it breathed fire at when it first set foot on the hill my fort's dug into(it started on the end opposite the fort entrance, thankfully), or the champion it breathed fire at, or any of the trees in the area...actually, the dog/champion didn't get hurt by the fire at ALL(and I do have temperature on, so it's not like that would make a difference). The only sign that the dragon had done anything was two swathes of grass turned to ash. Rather bizarre, but I wasn't complaining. Once the dragon was done not setting things on fire, it tore the war dog to shreds. The champion arrived about a minute after the dog was killed, kept walking towards the dragon that was breathing fire at him, and singlehandedly took it down just as the rest of the military got there.

Total megabeast death toll:A woodcutter, a dog, and some grass. Any new megabeasts who decide to come to my fort before the king arrives(at which point I will put several "end fort hilariously" schemes into action and get started on my second fort) probably won't fare much better, since lots of dwarves who don't have much to do anymore means a very large military guarding the fort.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 09:56:37 pm »

An ancient vampire from Dig Deeper. Spawned in the middle of an orc squad, after the orcs had trampled the ground so it's fire couldn't take. Killed 7 orcs, but was simply overwhelmed.

The second was vicious though, a Giant Cave Spider QUEEN! Those things are... unearthly. I had 17 legendary marksdwarves stationed on my ramparts using high quality iron bolts and none of them even scratched her. My hammerdwarves rushed her, and she webbed 23 of them in one blast, leaving only one (Zefon, my greatest champion... also a slut, she had like 7 kids) to fight her. Zefon, using a masterwork crucible steel warhammer, starts smashing in the GCSQ's legs, but not before, inside of half a second at 20 fps, the GCSQ ripped away the left half of a soldier's body through superior+ quality chain AND plate armor. After a few seconds the rest of my forces come to and quickly dogpile her, but holy crap, that thing was pretty scary.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 01:21:50 am »

Just now, I got my first-ever Megabeast... a Red Dragon.

It was a bit of a disappointment. It appeared on the edge of the map, started walking (instead of flying) towards my Fort... and stepped on a Cage Trap.

My Dungeon-Master tamed it.... What should I do with it?

Chain it up out in front of the Fort?... it would look pretty bad-ass.
Put it up for adoption?
Put it in my Zoo?
Feed Gobbo prisoners to it?... that might improve its stats.

Never pet a burning dog.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 01:34:05 am »

Chain it up.

I'm pretty sure the international sign for "don't fuck with this fort" is a dragon tethered to the front door.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 04:31:46 am »

Vanilla megabeasts are boring, never had any problems with these.
Most of them get unconscious and bleeding before my hammerdwarfs even reach them due to heavy steel bolts rain.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 07:47:56 pm »

I've only ever gotten one per fort max before the framerate dropped too far to be useful. I've had two really successful forts that merited this attention.

1) A titan that ran in, beat up a few people nonfatally, wandered out again, hit a cage trap, and (somehow) died. That taught me to build cage traps in rows, rather than randomly interspersed between weapon traps. The fortress in question underwent catsplosion and became too slow and jerky to really do anything with.

2) Another titan, in a different fort, just blundered straight into the cage traps. Yes, that's what they're there for, but it has a name so I can't tame it. [Another lesson learned]. Now I just hope I can keep the kitten population under control until a hydra or something shows up.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

veerserif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 08:10:17 pm »

My first megabeast was a dragon. It happened to strike at the same time as a human caravan, a kobold thief and a goblin ambush. It was possibly the most excitement my fortress ever had.

My all-champion (full legendary, full steel) swordsdwarves made shork work of them :)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 08:41:39 pm »

My first was a dragon, who arrived near-simultaneously with the baroness. It killed her hubby before I could order everyone inside. But that and a few odd animals was the extent of the death toll. It went around smashing up some floodgates in the waterworks outside my fort, but that was only an annoyance. By that time I built a couple cages in the main hallway and opened the door. *Pop* Not much of a challenge, but having tame dragon is cool (in theory at least).

Sadly it was all downhill from there. Of the next three megabeasts, one showed up crippled, one got killed by caravan guards, and the last was easily dispatched by my (fairly wimoy) military.

P.S. That's a hell of name, Lecithin. Did you dub him thus yourself, or just add "sex" to the language raws?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 08:55:07 pm by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!
Pages: 1 [2] 3